Feedback - email notification

Feedback - email notification

by Karen McClelland -
Number of replies: 19
Up until now I have always used the questionnaire module but decided to have a look at the feedback module too.

The setting regarding email notification gives the Yes/No option and the help states that the notification will go to administrators. This seems an odd choice - does it mean teachers on the course? At the moment the emails appear to be going to the creator of the feedback instance.

Could anyone clarify this for me? And also how to amend where the emails are sent?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen McClelland

Re: Feedback - email notification

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Andreas,
Can we have clarification on this point please? Anyway I have not been able to get the "email notification" to work at all on my moodle test site (using moodle 1.8.4). Is this facility really working or not?
Thanks,
Joseph
PS.- Has anyone using the Feedback module been able to get email notification working? To which email are the notifications sent? What do they look like? etc.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi,

the email notification works well on 1.8.4.
There are some things to know:
  1. before feedback sends the mail it gets the users with the capability "viewreports" for that feedback. By default the teachers have this capability but you can override it.
  2. the feedback checks the group-settings. In the follow case no mail will be sent.
  • the course is in group-mode "separate groups" and the teacher is in an other group than the student. The settings of the feedback-instance dominate the course-settings. That means: the course can be set to "visible groups" but if the feedback-instance is set to "separate groups" so email will be sent only to member of the students group.
Please check the email-setting on the teacher. Perhaps the mail is switched off. I'm hoping it helps.
Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Andreas,

Thanks for your reply. Now I understand. In a course on my test site I had enabled the Administrator email but disabled the teacher email. In fact, contrary to what it says in the online help, email notification is not sent to the administrator but to the teacher(s) of the course (which is as it should be). So it is OK.

You should change the text of the online help (please note the spelling mistake in Notifications) from:

Email Notfications of Feedback Submissions
On the submission of a Feedback response, administrators will receive email notification.

to

Email Notifications of Feedback Submissions
On the submission of a Feedback response, teachers will receive email notification.

Joseph

by J Rogers -
Using Moodle 1.9.3 and administrators do not receive an email when feedback is submitted. Please look into this, or at least list some things for me to verify that it's working properly.

by Scott Karren -

Andreas

Does this notification happen at a site or course level?  I am in a situation where I need to send notifications to the teacher and their supervisor.  So If I understand correctly I would set the supervisor as a teacher in the same course so they would recieve the notifications.

How does this work if there are several sections of the same course taught daily or weekly with different teachers, would all teachers get the notification or just the current ones?

Scott Karren

In reply to Scott Karren

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Scott,

you can try the following.
  1. Override the role editingteacher for this course and disallow the "receivemail" permission.
  2. Go into each feedback-instance of this course and assign the teachers, who should get the mail of this feedback.
  3. Override the role editingteacher for these feedbacks and allow the "reseivemail" permission
I'm hoping, it is what you mean.
Andreas

by Christophe Leville -
Hi Andreas!

Go into each feedback-instance of this course and assign the teachers, who should get the mail of this feedback.

I couldn´t find any place where I could choose who gets and who doesn´t get the mails. Where is it to be found? I use 1.9.4

thanks.

christophe

by Michelle Eames -
My email notification seemed to work without me trying, I have Moodle 1.8.3 and it appear to send it to anyone registered as a course creator or admin at a site and course level
In reply to Karen McClelland

by Myrrh Lynn -
I have the feedback on the frontpage. It doesn't send emails. I need the emails to go to the admin email as this is also the state contact for our group.

I have Front Page Roles set with admin as teacher.
The feedback itself doesn't have the admin listed as an option for locally assigned role of teacher.

I can't change the email address of the admin. This is a foundational email to our entire organization.

What else do I need to do to make this activity work?

I am trying to find a way for guests to send a message to the admin that will generate an email notification to the admin without guests actually having to write an email.

I thought Contact Form block would work, but I can't get that block to work for guests. I thought Questionnaire, but it doesn't work for guests.
Finally, I'm trying feedback per Mary Cooch. It won't send emails. I don't know what else to do. If guests can't contact us from the site, we may as well not have a site.

Suggestions? This makes 2 wks working on this. I'm catching heat from above now.
In reply to Myrrh Lynn

by Myrrh Lynn -
I GOT IT! I GOT IT!
I solved both problems at once by upgrading from 1.9.2 to 1.9.3 AND upgrading the questionnaire to 1.9. This fixed the width issue with the theme/layout and gave me guest access to questionnaire thus generating an email to admin without actually having guest write an email.

Lesson learned: stay on top of those upgrades!

In reply to Myrrh Lynn

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

be sure the following things has been set.
  1. all users who should get an email are assigned to an role on the frontpage. If you don't want the users have any rights to edit some things on frontpage you can assign the users to the role "guest".
  2. Now you can assign these users to the role teacher or editingteacher locally on the feedback.
You also can create an own role for example "feedbackemailuser". On this role you set the capability "Receive email notification" to "Allow". After this you can assign all users which should receive an email to this role on the frontpage or locally on the feedback.

Now the wanted users should receive an email.

Andreas

by Deleted user -
Hi,

I am working with Moodle 1.9.3 and Feedback and Questionnaire modules.

Both modules work right, but neither of them send mail notifications.

I've read about this problem, and in some webs I've read about Feedback settings, but this module does not have any settings.

In Feedback module case, I always check the option 'Send e-mail notifications'. But in this case, once I've answered the questionnaire, I got "ERROR: Could not instantiate mail function. " message.

Anyone solved this situation?

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Deleted user

by Joseph Rézeau -
David,
If neither of these two modules sends e-mail notifications then there is probably something wrong with your moodle site's e-mail settings, not with the modules themselves. Is you moodle site on the Internet or on a local machine?
Joseph

by Deleted user -
Ok Joseph,

you are right. I have moodle on a local machine, although it access Internet, I think I configured Moodle tu run only in local mode.

I'll have a look.

thanks!
In reply to Deleted user

by Joseph Rézeau -
Normally a local installation of Moodle does not send out any e-mail messages, forum messages, etc. It is possible but rather complicated to make it work. You could post the question in the General Problems forum.
Joseph

by Deleted user -
Hi Joseph,

now I got it working.

Anyway something weird happens. I have changed Administrator, Teacher and Non editing teacher properties, so now only site Administrators reveice mail notifications. But it seems that notifications are not being sent to all administrators.

(In the course in which the feedback activity is located, there is any role assigned to any user)
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
It works!

The point is for some reason mails take longer to get to some mail domains. Maybe some mail routing issue, but it works!

Thanks

In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
Well, eventualy it seems it's not very powerful, as although the feedback activty is set to 'multiple submit', the different submits are not stored, the unique submit is overwritten, and as the answer does not appears in the mails, you can not have all the user responses.
In reply to Deleted user

by Deleted user -
The answer is Questionnaire module ;)
This module supports multiple answer storing.