PeerAdvanced: 2nd cycle and follow-up version of PeerLight

PeerAdvanced: 2nd cycle and follow-up version of PeerLight

by Christian Harrer -
Number of replies: 8
Hello! My name is Christian Harrer and I am currently writing on my diploma thesis which involves developing an improved 2nd cycle version of the moodle module PeerLight, developed by my friend and colleague Andreas Söllei. (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=81956)

Since his work is still in progress and IMO it makes no sense starting to develop PeerAdvanced before finishing work on PeerLight, I thought it might be useful gathering some information about the future requirements until then.

PeerAdvanced will be an 2nd cycle version, coexisting next to PeerLight. Amongst it's features, repeated reviews of student's handed in exercises should be made possible.
Another possible feature is versioning files, so that it is always traceable, which files were submitted for a given exercise.

I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Many thanks,

Chris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christian Harrer

Re: PeerAdvanced: 2nd cycle and follow-up version of PeerLight

by Christian Harrer -
Now i am going to summarize already requested features, that have become apparent according to David Wojak's thread in the moodle forum (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=43811 and http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=43808).

MAIN Requirements, that emerged from former discussions:
  • Email-Reminder (Email 1: start of submissions has begun / Email 2: end of submissions will occur today / tomorrow)
  • Email to students/teachers on Changes in workshop
  • Submodule of assignment?
  • Different time-frames (for groups)
  • grade for each section then to give an overall grade
  • Teamwork
  • Repeating assessments (1. Draft, 2. Draft, ...)
  • Manual assignment of students for Peer Review.
  • Approve a review before the student sees it
  • The student can see self assessment separately from peer assessment
  • Students cannot self assess and there are no overall statistics
  • Find out what functions/requirements are still not implemented in the light version and therefore should be shifted to the Advanced version!

detailled required functions of the Advanced Version:

• Assigning exercises will not only be possible automatically, but also manually (manual modifications in assignation will be possible)
  • teamwork on a task is possible. grades can be given to the entire group but also individually
  • assessmentphases should be traceable and saved (history)
  • Steps in the learning process will traceable due to a Learningportfolio (special form of evaluation) including Peers and Reviews
  • build a notification-system on given and finished tasks (subscribers will be notified of events "like all students have handed in their exercise, now you can start reviewing")
  • integration (link) of a forum into the module, which allows separated discussions within a studentsview and also within a teachersview. This results in a better performance and a widened evaluation level.
  • it should be possible to evaluate participation of students within the forum (flow of communication, degree of involvdment in discussions). Therefore team knowledge can/should/has to be used to create and evaluate ones own and somebody elses work.
  • grading should be transparent to students (explaining achieved results to students should be made possible)
  • specify a certain file type in assignment module to upload
  • Split views (teachers should also be able to check how their assignments look like via switching into a students view)
  • integration of a rubric grading scheme, achieving assessments in different dimensions
  • store those criteria sets on the server for reuse in later workshops
  • created a new workshop based on an existing one
  • upload sworkshop scoring criteria (as an xml file?)
  • hide features which are seldomly used
  • remove penalties, when submission is scored by instructor but not scored by other student
  • clarify: what happens to a student who did not send his assigment: is he going to get other people´s deliveries to evaluate? Is he out of the "pool" where the deliveries are distributed?
  • wizard based Userinterface
  • instructors need to be able to upload their own files when scoring and giving submission feedback
  • Message (or mail) a student from the Assessment form
  • download all student submissions from the Workshop's page a la WebCT CE 4
  • use html or plaintext to store feedback on the assessment form resp. the self/peer assessment review feedback page
  • Support for review by rubric and/or by an uploaded annotated file

• Which requirements of those given are still desired?
  • Which new requirements have emerged lately?
  • Can you please help to find out what is missing?

by Nitin Parmar -
Dear Chris,

I was interested to read about your work with PeerLight/PeerAdvanced. Are any beta versions of the activity available? Does this also mean that Peter Serenigg's work on a new version the Workshop module has ceased?

Many thanks,

Nitin
In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Peter Sereinigg -
Hi,
both are working for me, to finish both moduls
  • peer light is an easy version, easy to handle
    hope tests are finished soon, then it may be used in a production system
  • peer advance will be high sofisticated version with a lot of opitions and possibilitiy for using plugins, to configure it individually
Peter

In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Andreas Söllei -
Thank you Nitin for your interest in our peer module!

your question beta versions:
For all newest information, testing, questions, taking part in discussions, ... please visit

http://www.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~asoellei
or contact me directly: andi.soellei@gmail.com

Martin is currently evaluating our source code. If the code quality will be good enough we will provide the module to download and install at your own (test!!) servers.

At the moment we have implemented the base functionality.

It's very important for us to get feedback and further suggestions.

Our ambition is to have a good community developing process.
Decisions for further requirements are made out of the discussions on our testsite wink

Looking forward to your Feedback,
Andi

In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Christian Harrer -
Dear Nitin!

Thanks for your answer.

To put things straight, I want to add, that my work on PeerAdvanced is (as already mentioned in my first post) a follow-up on Andreas Soellei's still ongoing development process on PeerLight. It is right, that PeerLight was originated by Peter Sereinigg. But further and upcoming development on PeerLight and PeerAdvanced is based simply and solely on requirements derived from the community.

For further activity please check http://wwwu.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/asoellei/moodle19 and feel free to tell us if Andreas' current development process fits your needs.

thanks in advance,
chris

by Nitin Parmar -
Many thanks for all your responses. I'll be sure to visit all the links in due course, and be in touch should I have any questions smile

Nitin