phpMyAdmin

phpMyAdmin

by Birdie Newborn -
Number of replies: 9
Documentation needs more clues. Since I can't find my.cnf file, the alternative is:

"If you do not have access to your server, use PHPMyAdmin (or another MySQL client) and enter the command SET @@global.sql_mode=''; (be sure to use single quotes, and don't forget the semicolon)."

I don't see anywhere in phpMyAdmin a place to put a command. Is this in terminal mode? Please, be specific on how I might turn off strict mode.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Birdie Newborn

Re: phpMyAdmin

by Richard Enison -

BN,

That's a really good question. At first I thought that, since you said you couldn't find your my.cnf file, all I had to do was help you locate it. I thought the location might be in phpinfo, but I looked in mine and it isn't; it tells me where php.ini is, and gives me a hint about Apache's httpd.conf, but no mention about my.cnf or my.ini.

Then I read where you talked about not having access to your server. I presume you mean you are using a web hosting service. Then I thought maybe you could put the line in .htaccess. But the docs only talk about Apache directives and php settings, not MySQL, in .htaccess. sad

So at this point, it wouldn't do any good to find my.cnf, since you wouldn't have write access to it anyway. The only thing I can think of is to contact tech support at your web host. Ask them if they have MySQL running in strict mode, and if so, is there some way you can turn it off. If not, would they be so kind as to turn it off. If not, switch hosts! smile

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Birdie Newborn -
Richard --

I did contact Bluehost support -- and the good news is that they have strict mode switched OFF. The bad news is that I'm still hung up while Moodle checks for utf8 -- indefinitely.

"Checking your environment ...

We are checking if the various components of your system meet the system requirements

You must solve all the environmental problems (errors) found above before proceeding to install this Moodle version!"

I have other unrelated databases that are not Unicode.

There is an active issue in Tracker -- several others encounter the same problem. Is there a workaround?
In reply to Birdie Newborn

by Richard Enison -

BN,

Not that I am aware of. So I have spent the last two hours examining the Moodle scripts to find out how it tests for Unicode, and I have found out. So all I ask is:

Could you access your database using your favorite MySQL client (presumably phpMyAdmin) and execute the following query:

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set_database';

and post the results?

RLE

by Way Way -

My results

character_set_database latin1

por otro lado base de datos: moodle  cotejamiento:utf8_unicode_ci

Gracias RLE

Way

In reply to Way Way

by Richard Enison -

WW,

Your welcome.

This is the same pathological behavior several users of Bluehost and Hostmonster have reported (see tracker issue MDL-11743). I say that because according to the MySQL manual (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/index.html), each collation is associated with only one character set (specifically, see http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset-mysql.html). Which means that if the collation of a database is utf8_unicode_ci, the character set should be utf8. I don't know how those hosting services have managed to violate that rule.

RLE

by Antonio Carlos Pereira Gomes -
RLE,
they had use the UTF8_general_ci.
For me, it seems the same as UTF8_unicode_ci, but I'm not sure.
If so, Moodle could accept both.
Regards.
Antonio.
In reply to Antonio Carlos Pereira Gomes

by Richard Enison -

ACPG,

Either way, the corresponding character set is UTF8, not Latin1. Names of collations generally begin with the name of the corresponding character set. By the way, the ci at the end stands for case-insensitive, according to the MySQL manual.

RLE

by Jonathan Konrad -
Are you still looking for results? I have run into a unicode error too although I believe my database is utf8. Here are my results from running

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set_database';

It displays utf8

I've attached a screen shot to help. I'm using MySQL 5.0.22, Apache Webserver 2.23, php 5.1.6 and moodle 1.8

I cannot update to the latest 1.8 nor move to 1.9. I am stopped with a unicode error.text illustrating my database code