Sticky thread in forum?

Sticky thread in forum?

by Bug Catcher -
Number of replies: 10
Is it possible to have a sticky thread in forum as the new feature for forum? Thanks in advance for any reply.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bug Catcher

Re: Sticky thread in forum?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

A sticky thread feature has been requested previously - see MDL-372. You may wish to vote for it to be fixed. Please check http://docs.moodle.org/en/Sticky_post for alternative options.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Bug Catcher -
Thanks Helen for your reply.

By the way, I was wondering if there are thread status features for the Forum module. Let me explain further. Thread status refer to forum thread that have the View (showing number of viewings on the particular thread) and some other status (which can be other suggestions). Currently, there is only Replies as the thread status for that particular thread.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Bug Catcher -
There is one thing I was wondering whether does Forum module have - multiple-file upload feature.

Is there anyone who knows how to multiple-file upload into a forum? (I mean not to zip all the files and upload to the forum BUT to upload many files such as pictures into the forum)

Thanks.
In reply to Bug Catcher

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

There isn't an interface for it on Moodle, so you can't do from a Forum... but if you access to your moodledata folder on the webserver, you can upload one file via the Forum and then go into

moodledata/coursefolder/moddata/forum/forumnumberfolder/discussionnumberfolder

and upload your extra files. They will then display in the forum post as though they had been uploaded.

See http://learningcentre.baillie.org.uk/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=4910 as an example.

In reply to Bug Catcher

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bug Catcher,

I strongly support the features you are suggesting for the Forum module:
  1. sticky forums
  2. views reports
  3. multiple file upload
There have been periodic forum topics discussing these issues over the years, and as I recall, the sticky forum in particular was planned for adoption. Perhaps it was dropped due to time resources. Also it involves a new kind of role, moderator, and I do not know how the Roles features introduced since version 1.6 affects such a sticky thread feature.

To get new features implemented, I suggest being persistant in the educational values and administrative values of such changes. You can explain these reasons and post them *both* in the issues tracker and here on these forums.

Also contributions can also speed up changes. Contributing code or funds can help at Moodle HQ.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Bug Catcher -
Hi Don,

With regard on the sticky thread, I have another way of doing. Instead of creating a new kind of role called moderator, we can have the function added into the Role Settings.

So, if the administrator of a particular school wants teachers and administrators to have rights on creating sticky thread, the administrator will need to set the settings by setting the correct options in the function called Create Sticky Thread. (Please see diagram for more information).

Attachment sticky.jpg

by Bug Catcher -
Hi Don,

As for the multiple file upload, I have just make a sketch of the new interface for the forum.

Basically, the new forum will allow user to add new files by clicking on the Add new file button. This will refresh the page with the additional Attachment fill-in-the-blank box for files to be browse and attached.

Of course, if the user want to remove a particular files, the user can simply just click on the remove file. (This will probably be useful for the modify the posting within the time limit allowed, which can be 30mins feature.)

Please kindly refer to the diagram for more information.

Maybe we can have similar design like those in email application.
Attachment multiple.jpg
In reply to Bug Catcher

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bug Catcher,

I really like your screen mockups--easy to understand! If I were the developer here, I would implement them immediately. smile

Let's ask Martin (he's in charge of this module) what he thinks. Martin?

If you get no answer here, remember Martin is also the lead for the new 1.9 version, so he might have his hands full. Be sure to make another post in the Issue Tracker with the link back to this post. And tell us here about the location of your posting with a link, so we can go there and vote for it. Sounds a bit bureaucratic, but with patience, humor, and persistance, it can eventually get implemented. big grin

by Bug Catcher -
Hi Don,

I have make a post in the Issue Tracker at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-10153
(It is a sub-task for Issue MDL-372, hope I did not put in the wrong Tracker.)

Free free to vote for it. I think we also need more PHP programmer to come forward to help and be famous smile
In reply to Bug Catcher

回复: Re: Sticky thread in forum?

by Joanna Tsai -

Hi, Bug

You sketch and suggestion is great! I do need all these functions.