Database Module: Each learner Private DB?

Database Module: Each learner Private DB?

by Mark Andrews -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

Is it possible for each student to have their own instance of a database using the database module? ie. one that only that student and staff can see the contents of?

One of my collegues has the need (if possible) for students to to be able to do this.

Thanks in advance for any help. If it's of any help we are currently using 1.63, but could upgrade is the functionality is in a later version

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Andrews

Re: Database Module: Each learner Private DB?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark,

You could set up a database for which entries require approval. If the entries are never approved then only the student that added a particular entry and the teachers can view them. This functionality is available in 1.6+.
In reply to Mark Andrews

by Steve Power -

Mark

A bit more work than Helen's solution but one we use here is to set up groups with just the student and their teacher(s) in and then make the activity use seperate groups. If you have a lot of students it can take a while to set up but the groups are then available for all activities.

Regards
Steve

In reply to Steve Power

by Mark Andrews -

Thanks Steve and Helen for your responses.

However I'm not totally sure they would fit the bill completetly. Basicly I've been asked if moodle could manage some of our ILP (Indervidual Learnig Plan) information. So thought about creating a database that would have fields that would allow students to enter their targets, how these targets would be achived and then later allowing for them to be signed off and more added.

These entries offcourse would need to be private to the student and member of teaching staff.

My concern is that if I go down this path I want it to work well so that I don't put off staff who don't currently use moodle for teaching from ever using it.

Thanks again for your help.

Mark

In reply to Mark Andrews

by jayne morgan -
Not sure if this is appropriate or what you need, but in 1.8 I am using the 'Journal' option to enable me to do this. I am trialling it with a tutor group at the moment (so that they can maintain a moodle record of their action points etc). The teacher can see all entries, but a student can only see their own and the teacher's feedback.
In reply to Mark Andrews

by Martin GAGNON -
Why not make the student "staff" and the staff "student" (or staff without edit privileges) ? That is what we are currently doing for more than 1,500 students for the posting and maintenance of their webfolios. The solution involves the administrators of our institutional Moodle platform but we think it worth the time and delay (less than 8 weeks in our case, including summer vacations...).

More than 500 students are already made "staff" and the only thing slowing us is the conversion of the already existing webfolios (from an html format in WebCT or a Word format in MS SharePoint).

To have an idea of what I am talking about, you can access the auto-formation flash modules available to our students. It is in French but I am sure you will get the main point (you can skip the first two sections which are local to our institution).

From the point of view of a student, when admitted (and for the duration of his-her studies) a template of folders (and sub-folders) is created and many Word (or whatever you decide) templates are made available to modify and populate this folders's structure. Everything is private between each student and authorized teachers. Also, the templates are so universal that students can backup locally everything and re-use it when they leave our institution.

As you can see, we are adhering to the KISS philosophy (Keep It Sillily Simple). It is not glorious but it works!

I know nothing of the "internal workings" of the thing: if you are interested, I will redirect you to our chief analyst in this project (she will hate me for this!).

Martin GAGNON