Using Categories with Glossary

Using Categories with Glossary

by Matthew Klein -
Number of replies: 24
I am a relatively new Moodle user and I am currently trying to categorize files using a Glossary format. My problem comes when I try to assign entries to a specific category. I have no trouble creating new categories. I select the appropriate category when I create the new entry, but it always resets the category to 'not categorized'. So all of my entries remain 'not categorized' no matter how many times I go back and set the category. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Klein

Re: Using Categories with Glossary

by Matt Campbell -
I noticed this the other day, and just filed it as MDL-9599.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Đinh Lư Giang -
Dear Campbell

Good bug, but it is still unsolved. All my glossaries are messed up with that bug. sad
Giang
In reply to Đinh Lư Giang

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I cannot replicate this problem. Maybe you are using non-ascii characters in your Categories names?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Matthew Klein -
My categories are all using only ascii characters. I am using Moodle version 1.8.

by Matt Campbell -
I'm going to spend some time on this tomorrow and see if there is anything in /mod/glossary that may have been updated since I upgraded to 1.8. All categories and all entries that were set up before the upgrade seem to work just fine, it's just adding anything new that doesn't work. The categories are created properly, but no entries are added to mdl_glossary_entries_categories.

If I manually add the entries to this table, then browse by category works properly.

Thanks,
Matt

by Heather P -
Hi
I have a moodle 1.8 (2007021501) set up on a test server. I upgraded from a 1.5.2 to 1.6.5 and then to 1.8 and the glossary in there seems to be behaving just fine. I can add categories and put existing entries into it, I can add new entries to it. Admittedly this glossary had no categories to begin with.
Not sure if this will help you with identifying what is going on, but it might.

by Matthew Klein -
Did this category problem ever get solved?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Matthew,
It did not get solved because it is not replicable and seems to concern only a small number of people. We have to pinpoint what is causing the pb on some Moodle installs and not on the majority of others.
Joseph

by Matt Campbell -
I'm having this problem using PHP4 and can't replicate it on a separate install using PHP5. Could anyone else confirm this? After school is out in a couple of weeks I'll probably make a copy of my problem site and put it on the test server to see if it resolves it.

For us, the server supporting Moodle also has some other web apps that rely on PHP4, so if this is the resolution, I'll be working on separating them this summer.

Thanks,
Matt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Matt,
OK, then it would be useful if other people who have reported this problem would now say whether they are running PHP4 as well, so we would make progress as to the cause.
Joseph

by Matt Campbell -
You're right. I'm running Debian and using PHP Version 4.4.4-8+etch2.

by Jim Edgar -

Hi,

The categories in my site are also not working properly. The problem started after upgrading with Fantastico to version 1.8.  Categories can be created, but when words are added, they always remain uncategorized. I did a new install and the same thing happened again. The version of PHP is 4.4.4.

The first time time the problem occurred, this message occurred:

Warning Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in home/jedgar/public_html/moodle/mod/glossary/edit.php on line 130

Hope this info is useful.

Thanks
Jim

by Jacob Williams -
I am using PHP4 as well.. I am not a PHP expert, and I haven't been able to find documentation on a difference in how that foreach handles things any differently. Maybe php4 is responsible for not creating an Array with the $fromform->categories variable. I posted the code I used to make it work on my system, but it's not a real fix: My other post

-Jacob

by Thomas Eibel -
I found the same problem after updating to moodle1.8 - I could not categorize any Glossary-Entry anymore. Although I selected a category and saved it, moodle lost the category. No chance to save it.

Could it be verified, that installations using PHP4 have this problem, but those with PHP5 do not?
Best Regards,
Thomas Eibel
In reply to Thomas Eibel

by Joseph Rézeau -
Which PHP version do you have? There is no pb. with PHP5.
Joseph

by Thomas Eibel -
We use PHP4 - the administrator will upgrade to PHP5 soon. I'll post the result then.
Thomas
In reply to Thomas Eibel

by Thomas Eibel -
I updated moodle to 1.8.3 now and there is no problem with PHP4 anymore. Thomas

by Lisa Donohoe -
I would like to put glossary entries into more than one category, but this is problematic. If the two categories are adjacent in the category window, they can both be selected and the entry can be assigned to both. But if it's not possible to select the desired categories as a group, then it will not work. Is the glossary designed for entries with overlapping categories?
In reply to Lisa Donohoe

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Lisa,
Which version of Moodle are you using? I think that in any version it is possible to put a glossary entry into as many different categories as you like, whether adjacent or not. How many different categories do you have in your glossary?
Joseph

by Lisa Donohoe -

Hello Joseph,

I am not sure which version of Moodle we have.  As for the categories, we have six of them for now.  It just seems that, as I am inputting a term, I can only click on one category and get it highlighted so that the term is under it.  If I click on a different category, the first category becomes unhighlighted and the term is no longer under it.

In reply to Lisa Donohoe

by Joseph Rézeau -
Selecting several items from a dropdown list such as the categories list in the Moodle Glossary is done exactly the same as multi-selecting items in any dropdown list in Windows.
Click on the first item you want to select, then press control as you click on the second item for selection, etc.
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg

by Lisa Donohoe -
Thank you, Joseph!  It works!
In reply to Lisa Donohoe

by Kate Dunlay -
On my Mac, to select more than one category I have to use command-click after the first choice, not control-click.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)