Glossary linked to course category

Glossary linked to course category

by Martin Skjöldebrand -
Number of replies: 17
I suppose it isn't possible to link a glossary to a category of courses rather than a single course? (The help file only mentions courses). It would be neat to be able to have a central "repository" of terms for a category (in my case, e.g. chess endgames) rather than having to remember to add terms to a glossary in each course. Especially as a term may be relevant for various courses of different complexity.

/M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Skjöldebrand

Re: Glossary linked to course category

by Grant McWilliams -
That explains my next question... Why won't my global glossary link to my courses. If I understand you right they won't? I thought I was going to be smart and create one huge glossary and have it link in all of my courses. Why in the world wouldn't you want this? I guess I could create the glossary and export it then import it?

Grant

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In fact it can work that way, that's what the "global glossary" setting is for. For example, the autolink on this phrase - 'blank pages' - is actually from the FAQ glossary at site level.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Grant McWilliams -
I almost posted saying it doesn't work but I vaguely remember hearing someone say something about a filter line in the config.php file. I changed that and now it works fine, thanks...

I'll be tossing you guys a link to my site in the next few days. I've been using this software for a week now and I have a site going online for a College on the 6th. I'll let you guys look around and give me your thoughts before I let the students in....

Grant

by Grant McWilliams -
It worked temorarily... I uncommented the line to the dynalink.php file in the config.php and the think blew up on me! Anyway this is the error I'm getting anytime anything is supposed to get a link to the glossary.

Warning: eregi_replace(): REG_EMPTY in /home/soundlin/public_html/portal/mod/glossary/dynalink.php on line 158

Warning: eregi_replace(): REG_EMPTY in /home/soundlin/public_html/portal/mod/glossary/dynalink.php on line 158

Any ideas as to why this happened. I commented out the filter line again and it works just fine with no glossary.

Grant
In reply to Grant McWilliams

by Grant McWilliams -
I commented out the line and the glossary is still working but only after I deleted a few entries! Could it have had a problem with the way the text was formatted? Only problem now is it links the categories too and when you click on the name (for a catagory) it says "incorrect course id".

Grant

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Do you have the latest versions of Moodle and Glossary?  If not, you should upgrade.  Your help with solving bugs in the development version is appreciated.

by Grant McWilliams -
Yep, I'm using the bleeding edge! I needed the features that 1.2 has (and more). Also the html editor is great and would be even better if it didn't kill mozilla every 5 minutes!  I don't know if it's a mozilla problem or an HTML editor problem but the editor will save me tons of time when it's stable....

Grant

by Martin Dougiamas -
I use Moodle all day long in Mozilla 1.6 betas and have zero problems with the editor. It's not going to get any more stable unless we get some precise feedback on problems ...

by Grant McWilliams -
Martin,
   I'm using Mozilla 1.4 and the instability seems to be linked to the <> button. When I go between html and text mode is when it dies. To be precise Mozilla itself just disapears! It may be a mozilla issue so I'll try it with different version.

Grant

by Martin Skjöldebrand -
Using Galeon 1.3.5 the toggling functionality using <> is not there. I can go from the editor to xhtml but not back. This is strangely enough only on my site (1.2) but not here, where is works as intended.

by Herbert Keijers -
In firebird 0.7 the "Toggle HTML Source" button seems only to do the correct switch when I am in "Enlarge Editor" view.
It don't reverse in "normal" view.
(sorry I'm out of topic ...)
In reply to Herbert Keijers

by Grant McWilliams -
We're all out of topic! In firebird .7 I don't get the html editor at all. That probably a lack of features of 0.7. In mozilla 1.3 it's very stable so I'm wondering whats up with my 1.4. I could just upgrade but I'm not satisfied with not knowing whats wrong. If I have the problem someone else will too.

Grant

by Martin Skjöldebrand -
Considering the "Global glossary" option. This is for the whole "site" then?
Doesn't this tend to become rather muddled, filled with all information? I mean, if I want to focus on a particular aspect of the game chess (I am playing with Moodle building online chess training) it would seem to me a bit confusing having entries in a glossary unrelated to what we are talking about at the moment.

What I was hoping to find was a flexible way of defining which entry goes into what category. Finding an entry on "The theory of Corresponding Squares" (Category Advanced) when you are trying to grasp the basics of pawn endings (Category Beginner) is perhaps not alltogether meaningful.

Or perhaps my thinking is wrong?

by Martin Dougiamas -
In this case you would probably not use the global option ... that's why it's an option. wink  Set up separate courses and put normal glossaries in each one.

by chris nelson -

Hi

Do you or does anyone know why my global glossary links don't work?

1. I created a Global Glossary on my Front Page and set it to Global.
  2. I can go into any course (within any Catagory) and see the Global Glossary words highlighted in grey.

So far so good, but here's the problem:

When I click on a grey highlighted link it opens a window but doesn't desplay the glossary term. Instead it shows in the 'Link-chain' (I don't know the actual term but it is the link bar below the header of the page showing how I got from the front page to the current page) that it is trying to search glossary terms for the course I'm in. Which there are none because the Global Glossary is on the Front Page.

• Ex of 'link-chain': frontpage->coursecategory->search

I checked the source on one of the links and this is what it showed:

<a class="glossary autolink glossaryid4" title="Masters Program Glossary: Blood" href="http://mysite.com/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=7&amp;concept=Blood" onclick="return openpopup('/mod/glossary/showentry.php?courseid=7\&amp;concept=Blood', 'entry', 'menubar=0,location=0,scrollbars,resizable,width=600,height=450', 0);">Blood</a>

I think to find the Global Glossary listings it needs to search the front page.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

In reply to chris nelson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Chris,
I do not see the problem you are relating on my own Moodle 1.9 test site. The global site glossary I created on my site's front page is correctly linked from any other course.
I do not understand what you mean by "I think to find the Global Glossary listings it needs to search the front page."
Could you post one or more screenshots showing the problem?
If your site is available online, you could provide me with a temporary access so I can check. My e-mail address is in my profile.
ATB
Joseph