How many users can I support with this structure?

How many users can I support with this structure?

by Jose Martin -
Number of replies: 5

Hi we have a new installation with this features:

Front End (Windows Server 2003, IIS 6)Moodle 1.8
1 x CPU 3.4 Xeon HT
2 Gb RAM

Data Base (Windows Server 2003, SQL Server)
2 x CPU 3.2 Xeon HT
2 Gb RAM

I need to know how many simultaneous users can I support, perhaps 500?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jose Martin

Re: How many users can I support with this structure?

by Myles Carrick -
hey Jose,
It's also worth spending some time trawling through previous discussions at this forum.
The trick is with "simultaneous" (or concurrent) - most admins here seem to use the number that are listed in the "Online Users (last 5 mins)" block. 500 is a fairly serious number.
Even without running the script to which Visvanath pointed, you can be certain that your intended system (2GB, single CPU for front-end IIS box) will not support 500 concurrent users.
Most of the sysadmins contributing to this forum are also running on Linux. It might be worth having a chat to the folk over at the "Windows-based servers" forum to discuss your planned specs.
Cheers,
Myles C.
In reply to Myles Carrick

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> most admins here seem to use the number that are listed in the "Online Users (last 5 mins)" block.

I look at concurrency in a different way: Say the webserver gets a request for a Moodle page. The server needs some time to deliver the page, say 5 sec. If 2 seconds into this another request comes in, the original request will take longer, say 7 sec. and so on.

At a given instant the server is busy preparing a certain number of Moodle pages, which is the concurrency.

I expect this number to be much lower than the number of users who are logged into the system at a given time. The users are supposed to digest the material which appear on the screen, aren't they. Moodle is not a computer game ;-(
In reply to Jose Martin

by Kiril Ilarionov -
A lot of processor power + a spot of RAM + a set of Win tools.

How many simultaneous users you support with simular structure now?

smile

In reply to Kiril Ilarionov

by Sylvio Runge -
ca. (!!!)
2G - 500M (Windows internally/cache) = 1,5G
1,5G/(about 35Mbyte) => max. 50 simultaneous user (active)

It is depency, which simultaneous the users straight make and which
moodle-version and Web-server.

s.