New Server

New Server

by Chris Felinski -
Number of replies: 2
Hello. I have been reading through the topics here and have found a lot of people talking about different hardware requirements in order to run Moodle. I currently have my school's Moodle server on Ubuntu, dual core 1.0ghz processor with 1 GB of RAM. And I used it for 4 computer classes, so I never had more than 25 students on it at a time.

However, this upcoming year, Moodle is going to be more widespread across campus. We have a campus of 600 students, and we would have at most 100 students connected to the site simultaneously. Our administration has given us the ok to buy a new server to host moodle and would like some feedback on a couple of things:

1) How much RAM is necessary for 100 students simultaneously? Would 4GB of RAM be overkill? There will be students taking quizzes that involve audio.

2) What would be a good processor speed for 100 students?

3) Is ubuntu the most efficient OS to use?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Felinski

Re: New Server

by Kiril Ilarionov -

1) 6GB RAM + Ubuntu is OK for 100 students simultaneously.

2) The processor speed / load depends of configurations,
i.e. httpd.conf and php.ini mainly

The other side of the coin is realibility, i.e. MySql or Postgre?

Two PCs + 1000 MB direct cable link is a GOOD roadmap.

3) Free BSD is an opportunity.

smile

In reply to Chris Felinski

Re: New Server

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
1) How much RAM is necessary for 100 students simultaneously? Would 4GB of RAM be overkill? There will be students taking quizzes that involve audio.

Check this http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=72766

2) What would be a good processor speed for 100 students?

If you buy a state of the art server, in the case of Moodle, RAM is the bottle neck. Get Q1 settled.

3) Is ubuntu the most efficient OS to use?

Ubuntu is not an OS, you mean Linux. Ubuntu is perhaps the "most user friendly" Linux flavour. Whether that is an advantage, you should know.