Randomized quiz with "last attempt" enabled does not record the score correctly

Randomized quiz with "last attempt" enabled does not record the score correctly

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 7
Dear Tim and others:

First I want to say that I did some research in moodle bug tracker and this is different from the "quiz problem with build on last attempt and random question" reported as MDL-8958 and so on. We are currently running Moodle 1.5.4+ with our customized codes, and this was reported by a professor. I have created some screenshots here. Basically the quiz (Mini Test 7) was setup with Grading method set to "Last attempt". If you login as a student, in one view you actually see the score (10/10) correctly (/mod/quiz/view.php?id=41558), however, if you view the score from another view (/mod/quiz/index.php?id=41558), then it shows that you got 9/10 for your Mini Test 7. The gradebook would also show 9/10 too. Is this a known issue and got fixed in Moodle 1.8? What is the moodle bug tracker # and the fix for this issue? many thanks!
Attachment quiz_index_php_view.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Randomized quiz with "last attempt" enabled does not record the score correctly

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Here is another screenshot
Attachment Kyaw_Tun_student_quiz_view1.png

Re: Randomized quiz with "last attempt" enabled does not record the score correctly

by Wen Hao Chuang -
another screenshot (instructor's view)
Attachment Kyaw_Tun_instructor_quiz_view.png

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is this MDL-6269? There is probably no simple fix that can be isolated, since so much changed between 1.5 and 1.6.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Tim I don't think this is MDL-6269, as MDL-6269 (and 8958, 8990) are using "each attempt builds on the last" feature, while we were using the "grading method" to set to "last attempt" - different issues. I did notice that it's the /mod/quiz/view.php and /mod/quiz/index.php which view.php is showing all attempts correctly (and took the last attempt as the final score), while index.php is displaying incorrectly. My version of index.php is:

$Id: index.php,v 1.23.2.1 2005/06/04 08:30:48 gustav_delius Exp

Was this issue addressed in another moodle bug tracker ticket that you know of? Many thanks! smile

by Wen Hao Chuang -

We tried to manually lock the mdl_quiz_attempts table and was able to reproduce this issue. So I think it might be related to our MySQL database server that when it was serving many concurrent users (and many students are taking the same quiz AT the same time), somehow the mdl_quiz_attempts table got temporarily locked and therefore generated that error. But we need more tests to verify this theory.

Just curious, Tim and other people who has big moodle installation out there, what is your DB server hardware/software configuration? Did anyone ever experience this type of quiz issues that might be caused by datbase performance issues? If so, could you please share this information with us? Also, for MySQL, is there any known issues that would cause a table got temporarily locked up? Thanks!

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Intersting investigation.

We use Postgres and as far as I know, have not encountereed anything like this.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Seems like Martin L (NZ) is using Postgres for their larger moodle instances too. Just curious, any discussion thread fully discussed the pros and cons of using MySQL versus Postgres? I got the impression that a lot of larger moodle instances are using Postgres but a lot of large web sites such as facebook.com (see http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2006_34.html) also use MySQL, just curious what are the apparent benefit of using Postgres over MySQL? Thanks!