CTRL+Right Arrow - Paragraph Indent Annoying

CTRL+Right Arrow - Paragraph Indent Annoying

by Anthony Borrow -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Perhaps I am the only one to jump around but as I go back and forth in a paragraph that I am editting, I tend to use the CTRL+arrow keys to move around. It seems that in the new HTML editor a CTRL+right arrow key will indent the paragraph rather jump to the next word. I could stop making mistakes and avoid having to jump around but I would really like for the HTML editor to follow standard moving behavior. Is this something that others think would be worthy of creating an issue in the tracker on?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: CTRL+Right Arrow - Paragraph Indent Annoying

by Steve Garcia -
Yes.

I haven't run across that one, but it would be very annoying.

Where have you seen this, and under what circumstances? I just checked in this editing session here at moodle.org, and ctl-Arrow seems to work as expected.

I'm using Firefox 2.002, if that matters.
In reply to Steve Garcia

by Anthony Borrow -
You know, that is a good question. I'm starting to think I was hallucinating or dreaming. I am pretty sure that I was seeing it in version 1.8; however, I have a CVS installation that updates automatically and I just pulled up an HTML editor window and it works as normal. I thought that I even had tested it on the Moodle.org site but in this window it seems to be working. I am using FF 2.0.0.3. If I find out how to replicate it I will post back until I'm going to search for my lost mind. Peace.

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Anthony,

this seems to be an moodle1.8/IE7 bug (a really tiny one). I tested different keys and if you press first

ctrl and ÷

then ctrl and right arrow surprisingly starts to work in IE7 (well, almost).

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Richard Enison -

MK,

I can't find the ÷ key on my keyboard.

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Mauno Korpelainen -

RLE,

I have ÷ at the right side of my Num Lock key

... but I never use it.smile

by Anthony Borrow -
The confusion may be that the division character is listed as / on some keyboards.

by Anthony Borrow -
Interesting - well at least I do not feel as crazy. I knew I had experienced but I generally try to avoid using IE7. Thanks for reporting a workaround - even if just a partial one. Peace.

by Mike Green -
This has been bugging me mightily on IE 6, Moodle 1.8 so I am relieved to see I'm not the only one who's being vexed by it.  CTRL Right is deep in my muscle memory!  I got my hopes up seeing the CTRL-divide idea, but for me that just put the focus on the first item in the toolbar (the font selector) and doesn't stop the paragraph indenting.
In reply to Mike Green

by Jeff Hancock -

Add my name to this list. I'm using IE7 as well.

If I CTRL+Right Arrow to jump over words or CTRL+SELECT+ Right Arrow to select words or paragraphs, the whole paragraph indents to the right.  The CTRL+division character jumps the cursor to the end of the page. My solution is to edit in code view but it would be nice not to have to do that.

FWIW... CTRL+Left Arrow does not descrease indent.