Minted course profile plugin 2.0 for Moodle 1.6 and 1.7

Minted course profile plugin 2.0 for Moodle 1.6 and 1.7

by Paolo Oprandi -
Number of replies: 60
The Minted course profile plugin 2.0 is now available for Moodle 1.6 and 1.7.

The plugin gives site administrators the ability to:

-Configure default course settings in the same way you can configure default quiz settings
-Configure course settings interface into basic and advanced sections in the same way you can configure the quiz settings interface
-Configure default course settings by Moodle category, which means the default skin, as well as default functionality, of the course site can be configured at a departmental level
-Configure course settings interface by Moodle category
-Configure Moodle blocks by category, which means the default structure of the site can be configured at a departmental level

The defaults will be referenced when a course is created manually. The defaults can also be accessed using any other course creation mechanism with trivial tweaks to the code.

Select here for more information, screenshots and to download.

For those of you upgrading from the Minted profile plugin, please, read the upgrade notes. This isn't a straight upgrade and some links to functionality will be lost.

Cheers,
Paolo
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

Re: Minted course profile plugin 2.0 for Moodle 1.6 and 1.7

by Jacky So -
Hi Paolo,

I am now using Moodle 1.7 and Postgresql DB. Do u have the psql support for profile plugin 2.0?

Thanks in advance
In reply to Jacky So

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Jacky,
No, but I would be very happy if someone could provide this patch.
Sorry, Paolo

by ian lake -

Paolo

Downloaded the update - unusually for me read the instructions and followed them.

It works like a dream, you're a wonder.

In reply to ian lake

by Paolo Oprandi -
Ian,
Fantastic! I was interested to work out the Moodle update logic and so glad it has worked for you. I guess you've lost the link to configure user profiles from the admin index page. Let me know if you want the code to re-add it (or pehaps you have worked that out?).
Cheers,
Paolo

by ian lake -
Paolo

I hadn't even noticed, had you kept quiet, I would probably have blamed the next mod I installed.

But since you're asking and now I've noticed could I have the code please, I still know enough coding to fill the head of a pin.

Many thanks
ian
In reply to ian lake

by Paolo Oprandi -
Ian,

I wonder what instructions you could have read exactly? It wasn't the ones which said:

"You can update from Minted profile plugin if you have it installed, but beware this isn't a straight upgrade. The features of the Minted profile plugin are not the same as the Minted course profile plugin, and you will no longer have links to the user profile setting from the admin index page or the tabs to the topic zero activities (although the features will still work if you create new links to them)." then?
smile

In any case, if you are upgrading I guess you are using Moodle 1.6 so add the following at line 402 (approx):

$userdata .= "
sesskey
\">".get_string("setupdefaultusers","profiles")."
- settings chosen will
currently only work with user creation mechanisms that work with the defaults
";

Cheers, Paolo
ps. your link from the admin/users.php page will still exist.

by ian lake -

These are the instructions I read.

1. Download the tar file
2. Decompress file
3. Add the admin/profiles folder inside the Moodle admin folder
4. Copy over Moodle admin/index.php with admin/index.php
5. Copy over Moodle admin/settings/courses.php with admin/settings/courses.php (only if installing in Moodle 1.7)
6. Copy over Moodle course/edit.php with course/edit.php
7. Copy over Moodle course/edit.html with course/edit.html
8. Add lang/en_utf8/profiles.php to the Moodle lang/en_utf8 folde

Notes about updating from Minted profile plugins

You can update from Minted profile plugin if you have it installed, but beware this isn't a straight upgrade. The features of the Minted profile plugin are not the same as the Minted course profile plugin. 

You must have added this bit (and you will no longer have links to the user profile setting from the admin index page or the tabs to the topic zero activities (although the features will still work if you create new links to them).) sometime later.blush

In reply to ian lake

by Paolo Oprandi -
Ian,

You are not casting a cloud over my good character are you? wink

Attached is the old tabs.php that links to the topic zero activities, which were available in your last version. Put it in folder admin/profiles/ if you are want to use them.

Cheers,
Paolo

by ian lake -
Paolo

Who me? Wouldn't dream of it.
One small question I get the line 402 bit, but which file, currently I have added it to index.php, but it has not made any difference.

Thanks for the tabs.php

ian

by Paul Holden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Cheers Paolo,

Excellent work, glad my additions came in useful smile

Paul

by Scott Grogg -
Paolo,

Excellent plugin!!! I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I would love to see this as a default part of the Moodle installation. I know that it will streamline processes for our registrar's office (course setups) and our instructors who typically setup courses in a standardized format. I really appreciate your hard work and dedication.

Scott
In reply to Scott Grogg

by Paolo Oprandi -
Scott,
Thanks for your support!
Paolo

New release: Minted course profile plugin 2.0 for Moodle 1.8

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi,
I have just released the Minted course profile plugin 2.0 for Moodle 1.8... Because of the new forms I made a design decision about the granularity of the advanced options, but I am happy to rethink this. To download, and for more information, select here.
cheers,
Paolo

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, Paolo.

Thanks for your work on this ... we've finally finished the new forms work in 1.8 (it actually makes things like this a lot easier) ... any chance of a version of this for 1.9 ?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Martin,
Yes, I've been having a look at the new forms - fantastic.
And yes, I'd love to get this into 1.9 thanks. Let me know how we should proceed.
Please also have a look at the Minted IMS Enterprise enrolment plugin at the same address... It adds a lot to the current enrolment plugin and doesn't take anything away. I haven't advertised about the new version yet because it hasn't been properly tested in 1.8...
We are currently working on a webservice passing assessments and grades between an SRS and Moodle. Please see the xmarks website. I haven't advertised about this yet either, but have been meaning to.
Cheers,
Paolo

by Paolo Oprandi -
In reply to Dante's question made on another thread:-

Hi Dante,

I don't use the course creation plugin you mention, but in general to reference the defaults created with this plugin you have to add the following code just before you populate the $course object:

// If this category has default course profile use it
if ($default_course_used =get_record('course_default','category',$catid)) {
unset($default_course_used->id);
$course=$default_course_used;
//else if the site category has a default course profile use it
} else if ($default_course_used =get_record('course_default','category',1)) {
unset($default_course_used->id);
$course=$default_course_used;
}

And before you add the course blocks add this line:

//create blocks according to course profile if present
$CFG->defaultblocks_override = isset($course->block) ? $course->block : NULL;

It will come before:

$page = page_create_object(PAGE_COURSE_VIEW, $course->id);
blocks_repopulate_page($page);

Hope this makes sense!

As I said, in later Moodle versions course creation routines will reference the same function (I assume create_courses() in /course/lib.php) and this won't be necessary.

Let me know how you get on,
Paolo

by John Brady -

Minted course profile plug-in 2.1 for Moodle 1.8

Thank you for this plugin, it’s a very nice addition to Moodle.
After installing Minted course profile plug-in 2.1 for Moodle 1.8
When I Add a new course and Save Changes:
I get the following error: Category ID was incorrect

“7. Copy over Moodle course/edit.html with course/edit.html”

During the instalation process, I didn’t find course/edit.html in the download.

I did find course/edit_form.php and copied that to course/edit_form.php

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Moodle 1.8.1+ (2007021510) Windows XP SP2

In reply to John Brady

Re: Minted course profile plugin 2.0 for Moodle 1.8

by Paolo Oprandi -
hmmm....

This is a new one to me. That is not 'my' error message, and I didn't actually think 1.8.1 used edit.html (but edit.php and edit_form.php). I haven't tested my plugin on 1.8.1 yet (just 1.8+), but I will have to very soon.

I'll be back in contact... let me know as soon as you have any more information.

thanks, paolo
p.s has it worked in other cases?

by John Brady -

I did a fresh build and it seems to be working fine.
I’ll see if I can figure out if another Plug-in I was testing caused the error.
Moodle 1.8.1+ (2007021510) Windows XP SP2.

Thanks for creating this it will be a real time saver. Some of the folks I work with only create a course once every 6 months, so it is really nice to be able to set up default settings for them.

In reply to John Brady

by Edmund Best -
Hi, I just installed the plugin, thanks, I like the concept and it's working fine now!

I did however get the same error about the course ID being incorrect. It seems that when you create a default, the category in the _course_default table is defaulting to 1. If you don't have a course with category no 1 in the _course table then you get the error. I just changed the category value to a correct one and it's all good.

Thanks the work on this, I just thought I'd let you know.

Cheers,

Ed.

Moodle V1.8.2
mysql 5.0.27
php 5.2.0
Windows Server 2003
In reply to Edmund Best

by Paolo Oprandi -
Thanks a lot for your feedback - I was aware of this weakness, although I didn't know it would actually throw an error. I will look into it as soon as I get some time...

Cheers,
Paolo

by Pierre Martin -
Hi,

I installed the Minted course profile plugin 2.1 for Moodle 1.8+ a week ago and i think it's a great plugin as it makes courses creation a lot easier for the teachers of my school.

Everything was fine at the beginning but I am now getting the "Category ID was incorrect" when i try to create a new course.

The category in the "_course_default" table was defaulting to 0 but I have no category ID 0 !!! I tried to change the default value of the category in "_course_default" to 2 (as it is a category ID in the "_course" table) with no luck (so I reverted it back to 0).

Is there a way to remove the plugin if the problem is not fixable as I cannot create anymore courses.
I don't really fancy using a backup and lose few courses.

Many thanks,

Piero
In reply to Pierre Martin

by Pierre Martin -
Me again,

I manage to sort this "Category ID was Incorrect" problem.

The last row of data in my "_course_default" table had a value of "1" in the category field. As I didn't have any category with this value it was throwing this "Category ID was Incorrect" every time I tryed to create a course.

I just had to change the value in this category field of the "_course_default" table to an existing category ID and everything went back to normal.

I am still not sure how this value (1) got in the table in the first place but it hasn't done it again since ....

Salut,

Piero

by Angela Roberts -
Is this module ready for the stable 1.9 release?

Thanks in advance. I would just hate to install and break my installation.

thanks

angela
In reply to Angela Roberts

by Paolo Oprandi -
I don't think it will break your installation, but in any case I should try it on a development machine first, to be absolutely sure. The files I have adapted are from Moodle 1.8 and may vary from Moodle 1.9. Let me know how it goes. I will release 1.9 version sometime soon.

Cheers,
Paolo

Minted course profile plugin for Moodle 1.9

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi,
I have updated the Minted course profile plugin for Moodle 1.9. Please see

https://studydirect.sussex.ac.uk/downloads/

The only significant change is that if a Moodle category does not have a default profile it will now use the parent category as Ann Adamcik suggested.
Ciao,
Paolo

Re: Minted course profile plugin for Moodle 1.9

by Ian Roberts -
I've tried installing this plugin a couple of times and each time it has broken my moodle install. sad

After the first time (and a retsore from backup), I have learned to backup my moodle root directory tree so I can easily roll back. I should have done that the first time too!

With this plugin installed I get a blank screen when I hit my moodle site and error messages like the following errors are written to /var/log/httpd/error_log:

[Thu Feb 14 09:59:32 2008] [error] [client ###.###.###.###] PHP Notice: Undefined variable: course in /var/www/html/enrol/imsenterprise
/enrol.php on line 688, referer: http://<hostname>/admin/enrol_config.php?enrol=imsenterprise
[Thu Feb 14 09:59:32 2008] [error] [client ###.###.###.###] PHP Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /var/www/html/enrol/ims
enterprise/enrol.php on line 688, referer: http://<hostname>/admin/enrol_config.php?enrol=imsenterprise

Is there some undesirable interaction between the IMS Enterprise and the Course Profile plugins?

In reply to Ian Roberts

by Paolo Oprandi -

There shouldn't be! The errors you've identified aren't fatal and only indicate something needs tidying up. I'll look in to those problems, but I still don't know what has happened to your front page. I did identify that you were using a misconfigured ims-e file and have responded to your post on the other forum, but this probably isn't related. I'll have a go at recreating your problem, but i may need some more clues (what exactly you have done in order) to recreate your problem as it has worked fine for me so far.

by Ian Roberts -
What did I do?
  1. Installed moodle 1.9beta with LDAP authentication
  2. Installed Minted IMS Enterprise plugin
  3. Determined system generally working (with a few issues)
  4. Installed Minted course profile plugin.
  5. Access moodle -blank admin amd login screens sad
Sorry to be troubling you on two threads at once! I appreciate your assistance.
In reply to Ian Roberts

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Ian,
I have also tidied up the module for 1.9 so you should get any PHP notices . There is a small possibility these may have caused your problems, but, as I have said, they didn't effect my install. I am at a bit of a loss. Are you able to reinstall?
Cheers,
Paolo

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi,

The minted course profile plugin for 1.9 has been updated to work with new course library. Please reinstall if you were having problems. Thanks to John Willams at Tonbridge Grammar School for reporting the problem.

Also, the more perceptive amongst you will have noticed that the block settings file has changed name. This was because it was causing a non-fatal php error or php notice I can't remember. In any case, if you want to keep tidy, please, delete blocksettings.php and/or blockssettings.php as they are no longer in use and keep blocksetting.php.

All the best,
Paolo
https://studydirect.sussex.ac.uk/downloads/

Ps. Since the 1st Feb when I started tracking it we have had 183 downloads. Most of you are anonymous IP addresses to me but I hope you are enjoying the plugin.

by John Williams -

Hi Paolo,

This is now working great and is helping us set things up just the way we would like.

Many thanks

John

by Eric Verhulst -

Hello,

I downloaded version 1.9 and installed the files manually as described on your "Minted course profile" webpage. However, the option "course settings" does not appear in my admin block. Should I install all the files or only those mentioned?

Thanks

Eric Verhulst

In reply to Eric Verhulst

by Eric Verhulst -

I installed all the files and now I see two new options, "Course blocks" and "Course settings". However, the new tables are not created and so I get a "table or view does not exist". We use an Oracle DB. What can be wrong?

Eric

In reply to Eric Verhulst

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hmm... This is only supported for the mysql DB. If you manually create them (by looking in /admin/profiles/courseprofile/db/mysql.sql) it should be okay. Let me know how you get on.
Sorry,
Paolo
P.s. if you are able to update the plugin so it works with other DB I'd be happy to accept the code improvements wink

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Piero,
Yes thanks for your comments. I am aware of the problem! I assume the default category to have id=1, but it is not always the case. I will sort in my next release.
Best wishes,
Paolo

by Jon Iza -
I am having now the same problem. This morning I have created a course just fine. Needing to create a bunch of them with a similar layout, I have downloaded and installed the plugin.
I am using moodle 1.8.4 under linux.
After installation, when I try to create a new course, it says "Category ID was incorrect".
I am using a site-wide locale in Spanish (es_international), but it seems to me that this is not the problem.
Any hints will be appreciated (other than rebuild the whole site without the plugin)
jon iza
In reply to Jon Iza

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Jon,
It might be that before you create a course you need to select a category. I
should be able to give you a fix if this is the problem.
Cheers,
Paolo

by Jon Iza -
Thanks, Paolo, for your message.
I was using the only category I had with no luck.
Then, I have created another category, have defined the default course for it, and tried to create a new course with no luck.
Just in case, I have created a third one, and have tried to create a course straight (without entering the course default definition for that new category), and after defining the course default. On both cases, no luck.
I have tried too to change languages down to English. And even I have created subcategories on my primary category and the dummy ones. All of them return the same error message.
My guess is, after reading all the messages, that the database become corrupted while adding the plugin, and the index number is out of range, thus reporting a wrong category. But I don't know where I can get the right information.
I will appreciate any help, but do not dedicate too much time to it. The site will have some 50 courses max (now only 4), so rebuilding it would be the simplest solution. But if this problems intrigues you, I would gladly help you sorting out the details.
Be well
jon iza
In reply to Jon Iza

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Jon,

I am a bit confused. Can you give me the name of the tar file you have downloaded?

I have just made a fresh download of Moodle 1.8.4 and added
minted_course_profile_plugin_for_1_8.tar.gz
...and haven't had any problems.

However, the source of your problem is almost certainly either in course/edit.php or course/edit_form.php. Could you send me these files?

Also, could you confirm you have not deleted the miscellaneous category?

Thanks,
Paolo

by Jon Iza -
Oh! Oh! I did delete the miscellaneous category! I guess this may be the problem. When I tried to see the database, the category counter was set at four but I only had at that time two active categories...
It seems to me that this is where the problem lies. I will save the files for you, so you will know where Murphy may attack, but will try a fresh installation...
I am still learning the ropes with moodle, and bumping all the way through.
Thanks for your interest!
jon
In reply to Jon Iza

by Paolo Oprandi -
Jon,

This is a fault with the plugin.. It assumes there is a category with id = 1, but my later plugin 1.9 does not (and wouldn't cause an error anyway!). I will update the 1.8 plugin and release it tomorrow. One of your options, in the meantime, is to change the id of one of the records in mdl_course_default to 1.

On the contrary, by the way - thanks for your interest in the plugin!

Best wishes,

Paolo

by Jon Iza -
Not a fault, au contraire, a good chance to learn how to alter a database.
They say old dogs cannot learn new tricks, but that's not the case here... smile
I have created a dummy (hidden) category, and have given it the id=1.
Now I have "created" 17 new courses in 5 minutes, all with the same layout.
Many thanks for a great plugin, Paolo.
jon
In reply to Jon Iza

Re: Minted course profile plugin

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi,

I have updated the course profile plugin for 1.8 so it inherits the properties of parent categories.

I have also made other minor bug fixes to to both the 1.8 and 1.9 plugins (particularly the default block page).

https://studydirect.sussex.ac.uk/downloads/index.php

I have been tracking the number of downloads for the last week and I am excited by how many of you are downloading the plugin. If you find it useful, please, offer your support here!

Best wishes,

Paolo

by Matt Gibson -
Hi Paulo,

Thanks for making the plugin - the features look like being enormously useful, but I can't quite get it working on 1.9.

I downloaded to my moodle root (win2k3, latest CVS via tortoise) and extracted it, then visited /admin/index.php, but afterwards, the front page won't load properly. I get the header, the My courses block and nothing else.

Code stops here on source view:
<div class="footer"><a href="http://moodle.plumsteadmanor.com/course/index.php">All courses</a> ...</div></div></div></div></div><div class="bb"><div>&nbsp;</div></div></div></div><script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
elementCookieHide("inst37","Show My courses block","Hide My courses block");
//]]>
</script><span id="sb-1" class="skip-block-to"></span>
The next block is the main menu. If I shift it down below the admin block, it stops after the admin block. Removing the block makes it all work fine. Are you (or is anyone) using the main menu block successfully with this plugin?

Matt
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Matt,
Thanks for your words of support. I do have the main menu block on my home page and I do not get this problem!!
Are you sure it is related to this plugin? If so, I will try making a fresh install of 1.9 and installing my plugin and see if I get the same.
Cheers,
Paolo

by Matt Gibson -
Thanks Paolo,

I had put some custom HTML in the main menu, so I can try to remove that and see it it helps. However, I had to undo the install of the plugin as I got a white screen when trying to view a feedback activity. I will test further over the weekend I f I have time.

Matt
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Matt,
I don't think any of the bugs you've unturned are likely to be related with my plugin. smile
Paolo

by Brett Hinton -
Paolo,

Does this work with the Course Request feature in Moodle now? We are using the 1.6 version currently, but I had to customize things in order for courses created using Course request to pick up the combination of settings that can be set using the Course request feature and the ones that are set through the minted course profile plugin.

We would like to upgrade to 1.9 in the near future, but are hoping to not have to re-engineer the fixes we used to make it work under 1.6. smile

Thanks,
Brett
In reply to Brett Hinton

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Brett,

Ah! No it doesn't actually, but I may well be changing it to work with 1.6 for our own uses very soon. Its only 4 or 5 lines of code to add isn't it? Would you be able to send me your additions to 1.6 so I can check what you have done, use them if appropriate and make them available to the community?

Many thanks

Paolo

by Mike Warner -

Hello Paolo,

I tried to download the plugin just now and the file can't be found.  I tried logging in as guest to see if it was a permissions issue, but it didn't help.  Have the files been moved?

(I just went back to test and none of the download links work for the files under any tab on https://studydirect.sussex.ac.uk/downloads/index.php)

Thanks,

Lou

In reply to Mike Warner

by jos meuleman -

Hello Paolo and Lou

I can download it neither. I get a blanco page after trying to download the plugin

Jos Meuleman

In reply to jos meuleman

by Paul Briley -

I too am having issues downloading the Minted Course Profile plugin, does anyone have the version 1.9 release as the following doesn't appear to be working.

https://studydirect.sussex.ac.uk/downloads/download.php?filename=minted_course_profile_plugin_for_1_9.tar.gz

In reply to Paul Briley

by Paolo Oprandi -
Ah... Sorry, for not getting back to you all... I think one Internet Explorer version throws an error when you try and download it... I should have looked in to this earlier. In the meanwhile try and download it using a different browser.
Thanks and sorry for the delay in replying!!
Paolo

by Renee Levant -
I installed the 1.9 version

It shows the settings tab but when I click it just goes to a blank page

I followed these all steps:

1. Download the tar file
2. Decompress file
3. Add the admin/profiles folder inside the Moodle admin folder
4. Copy over Moodle admin/index.php with admin/index.php
5. Copy over Moodle admin/settings/courses.php with admin/settings/courses.php (only if installing in Moodle 1.7 or 1.8)
6. Copy over Moodle course/edit.php with course/edit.php
7. Copy over Moodle course/edit.html with course/edit.html
8. Copy over Moodle course/lib.php (only if installing in Moodle 1.8)
9. Add lang/en_utf8/profiles.php to the Moodle lang/en_utf8 folde
In reply to Renee Levant

by peter mein -

I am getting exactly the same, just a blank page when i click block setting or default setting.

My version is btw 1.9.5

In reply to peter mein

by Paolo Oprandi -
Apologies about this. I have a version that is working in Moodle 1.95 but it has some customisations. I'll have a look at the download version when I get a chance.

Paolo

by Paolo Oprandi -
I have updated the 1.9 download version and it works with a fresh install of moodle 1.95...
cheers, Paolo

by john ellingsworth -
Hi.

Moodle 1.9.7+ (Build: 20100317)
Minted IMS Enterprise 2.3 for 1.9
Minted course profile plugin 2.5 tar file for Moodle 1.9

What settings need to be customized in order for the "Allow snapshot unenrol of students if not present in incoming enrolment file" to work properly?

I imported an IMS file with 12 students. I removed 8 of the students to test thix feature, but the enrollments do not change.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get this to work.

John