Blogs: Moodle - Wordpress Mu Integration

Blogs: Moodle - Wordpress Mu Integration

by Stuardo Herrera -
Number of replies: 14
Hello everyone! Does anybody knows or has worked in a Moodle-WPMU Integration? I have a user database in Moodle that I wish I could use with WPMU. Any help aprecciated!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuardo Herrera

Re: Blogs: Moodle - Wordpress Mu Integration

by Charlene Barina -
I'm not sure if this works with wordpress-MU, but I just posted to wordpress a plugin I wrote to use the Moodle DB as the source for wordpress (basic, self-hosted) authentication.

It's at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/external-database-authentication/

Not a single sign-on, unfortunately, but it's the best I could figure out in about a day's time for a site I volunteer maintain...it will import extended user field data (like name, url, description, etc) from Moodle too into wordpress. I probably need to figure out a way to make it not allow people to update that information from the WP interface, as it'll be overwritten next time you log in from the parent (Moodle) user db anyway...I have this working with a 1.6.x version of Moodle and 2.1(?) version of Wordpress.
In reply to Charlene Barina

by Ji Ming -

Thank you Charlener for writing this plugin. I would say that not allowing users to update their profile from Wordpress would be a good idea.  Thanks for the plugin and I hope you can improve it. Single sign-on would be hard becuase both platforms keep changing so fast. Once again, Thanks!

Ji

by N Hansen -
Is there a way to let this Wordpress installation know that the admin for Moodle is the same as the one for Wordpress? And for the name displayed for the user to be the person's real name and not their username?

by fcsites : diseño web -

Breve tutorial de integración de Moodle y Wordpress // http://themes.fcsites.com/?p=53

moodlewp.gif

THANKS TO ALL SPECIALLY TO CHARLENE BARINA for the development.

Lo podeis descargar:

pdf.gif  Integración de Moodle [1.9.2] y Wordpress [2.6.2] (119.8 KiB, 0 hits)

In reply to Stuardo Herrera

by Darryl Pogue -
At the time of this writing, I'm working on a complete merge of a lot of WordPress stuff into Moodle functions to allow users to have a site news "blog" that will pull WordPress's posts and show them on the front page of Moodle.

Now, I have no idea if this will work in any sane way, or where this might go in the future (I have this eventual elaborate goal of combining Moodle with WordPress and possibly phpBB for a lot of sections).

I'll let you know what comes of it smile
In reply to Darryl Pogue

by Anil Sharma -
Darryl

We are keenly interested in this. The problem with moodle is it cant be used as a neat website design frontend, which is easy to achieve with Wordpress. Now-a-days, most academic institutions needs a dynamic website that various users can update.

If we can integrate wordpress with moodle in such a way, that the roles of moodle are understood by WP, it would be great. Users in WP should be created everytime a user account is updated on moodle.

WP integrates very well with punBB, everytime an account is created in WP, it gets automatically created in punBB. A similar integration of moodle with WP would allow a front end website with WP and the backend of moodle.

Let me know if you need any help in testing etc, my email is anil at the rate unilrn dot com
In reply to Anil Sharma

by Matt Crosslin -
The problem with moodle is it cant be used as a neat website design frontend, which is easy to achieve with Wordpress. Now-a-days, most academic institutions needs a dynamic website that various users can update.

I think that depends more on who you use to design your Moodle theme or set-up. See these two sites for examples of what can be done with Moodle:

http://www.edugeekjournal.com
http://www.mercyplace.org/mpConnect/

In reply to Matt Crosslin

by Anil Sharma -
Matt

While you're right about the flexibility of designing a moodle website, there are many challenges. It is not possible to provide correct meta data to individual pages. Similarly, a lot of manual coding goes into changing the looks of moodle, that can be easily done in Wordpress.
In reply to Matt Crosslin

by Gary Scott -
The EduGeek site now uses WordPress...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gary Scott

by How Ironic :-) -
Not only is it WordPress, but the latest post it titled: "The Web is Changing. Time to Dethrone the LMS!"

http://www.edugeekjournal.com/2009/12/03/the-web-is-changing-time-to-dethrone-the-lms/

How ironic wink
In reply to How Ironic :-)

by Matt Crosslin -
Well, it has been over two years since I wrote that post, so minds can change smile We had to change EGJ to WordPress to make it easier for our authors to post. Most of whom have gotten too busy to post, so I guess it was a moot gesture smile (anybody interested in guest blogging?) Moodle is great for online classes, but a bit much to dig through just for a blog. My point above was really on using MOodle for a front end of a website, not necessarily as a blog per se.

"The Web is Changing. Time to Dethrone the LMS!" is really the title of a conference presentation that we are doing a few places in 2010. It is really about how we think that LMS programs need to go in a completely different direction than they are now. The title is just one to grab attention, really. I blog frequently about the "New Vision" we have for the LMS.
In reply to Darryl Pogue

by Vijyendra Singh -
Hi,

I wanted to iNtegrate Wordpress type forums into Moodle. Anybody any inputs?