Front page activities for all students

Front page activities for all students

by Mike Johnson -
Number of replies: 10

I added a Choice activity to the front page of my site that I wanted all users to complete.  Only the 3 admin accounts can actually submit their choice in this activity.  The same thing happens when I set up a forum on the main page.

How do I allow all users to access activities on the front page?  Do I need to go to Assign Roles and add all users as students?  I've seen other posts that indicated this caused all users to be enrolled in ALL courses.  I definitely don't want that.

Thanks for any help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Johnson

Re: Front page activities for all students

by Jeff Herman -
True, that assigning the Student Role at the frontpage level will give students access to every course. A work around may be to create a hidden course with the choice in it, enroll everyone in that course, and link to the course (or the choice activity) from the front page.
In reply to Jeff Herman

by Mike Johnson -

Does the "default role for all users" setting on Admin --> Users --> Permissions -->  User Policies have the same effect?  This is currently set to Guest.  If I change it to Student will that make all users students in every course or just in the Front Page?

I thought I had used a forum in the main page in a previous version of Moodle. 

If there's no way to do it, how do I set up a hidden course?  If the course isn't available to students then they can't access the activities in it, can they?

In reply to Mike Johnson

by Jeff Herman -
Yes, setting the default role to "Student" would be the same as manually assigning the role.

Unfortunately, 1.7 doesn't give the option for assigning a role specifically to a Choice Activity.

I'm sorry, but Ignore my solution. To set up a hidden course, in Settings, set Availability to "This course is not available to students". However, this will also block students from linking into the course's Resources and Activities. I should have tested it before posting.
In reply to Mike Johnson

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Default role (front page) is guest (for students too) so if you edit guest role and allow guests/students to Record a choice it is possible. If you want just students to be able to answer choice hide login as guest button from Administration -> Users -> Authentication

You may use the same method for other activities too.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Mike Johnson -

I changed the Guest role to allow guests to respond to the Choice.  This seems to only allow users who are not logged in to use the Choice.  It doesn't let logged in users respond to it.  Is this because those users are not Students in Course #1 (the main page)?

I need to set it so guests can not respond to the Choice but anyone else who is logged in can.

In reply to Mike Johnson

by Mauno Korpelainen -

If you define also students role so that responding to Choice is allowed it should work (at least I got it to work)

But I had set from Administration ► Security ► Site policies
Force users to login

Without this there is an error message if a visitor who has not logged in selects Choice:

Notice: Undefined variable: current in /var/www/moodle/mod/choice/view.php on line 87

If you use Quiz module you will not get this kind of an error message

In reply to Mike Johnson

by Jeff Herman -
For Mauno's instructions (allowing Guests to record a Choice) to work, you also need to have Site Administration > Users > Permissions > User Policies "Default role for all users" set to Guest.
In reply to Mike Johnson

by Karrie Vitti -

I am having a similar problem where I have a forum on my front page which I would like guests to view and students to be able to respond to.  I have yet to have found a way to do this.  I know where the roles and the over rides are but I'm not sure what to change to make this happen.  Can anyone PLEASE help?

Thanks,

Karrie

In reply to Karrie Vitti

by Mauno Korpelainen -

The "trick" is to hide login as guest button from Administration -> Users -> Authentication and define role for Guest so that you allow guests to do same things as students (reply, start new discussions, attachments...)

Visitors can see discussions and they have a link to reply but if they click "reply" they are asked to login and have no other choice than login with username and password.