How to prevent using the same account logon at the same time?

How to prevent using the same account logon at the same time?

by Bao Xianqing -
Number of replies: 1

Hi, all. I am a moodle user from China. When I using moodle, I found that students can use the same account logon at the same time.

How to solve this problem? Thank you very much.

my email is ben.bamboo@gmail.com

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bao Xianqing

Re: How to prevent using the same account logon at the same time?

by Timothy Takemoto -

I don't think that there is a way of doing this. Concievably one could achieve some measure of preventionn by looking at IP addresses and storing them in the users' session cookie.

I would like the feature to help prevent students from sharing username/password to friends and doing quizes cooperatively. They would be able to do it asynchronously of course. But one might for instance, limit large changes of IP address (i.e. changes not including just the last three digits, which should allow for floating IP addresses within the same provider) within 30 minutes of last login from another IP address.

Additionally one might go some way towards preventing students from logging on with two different students accounts from the same machine at the same time.  I posted a bug about it was considered a "wont fix," issue.
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-727
That was partly because the bug was posted on the wrong module. It is more an authentication issue. You may consider posting again.

By the way, it is generally not considered to be a good idea to post the same question more than once.

Timothy