Assignment Management Wishlist

Assignment Management Wishlist

by Yusuf Pisan -
Number of replies: 7
Hi,

Not sure whether this is the righ forum for a wishlist, if not please point me to the appropriate area.

I have recently downloaded, installed and stated playing with Moodle due to the limited assignment management facilities offered by Blackboard. Moodle is quite impressive, but instructors are a demanding bunch, so my wishlist is below. Moodle might already handle some of these issues or the request might be contrary to the "Moodle philosophy", but here it goes.

Background: I developped an assignment submission system at Macquarie called Submit!, which implemented the features below in response to requests from lecturers/students. I am now at UTS, so looking for other solutions. Some of the wishes probably are more important for large classess (100+). If there is sufficient interest in these features and I can find the time, I might be tempted to check out the source code and contribute some patches.

Please do not take the "wishlist" below as anything more than a wishlist. Moddle has lots of great functionality already and if I can spark interest so others will add some more functionality like the ones below, so much the better.

Cheers,

Yusuf

---------------------------------------------------------

1. Assignment open date
    The assignment is visible once it is created, but files can only be submitted after the open date. This allows creating regular weekly tutorial submissions/assignments without having problems with students submitting their assignment to the wrong week. Don't laugh, students submit assignments not just to wrong week even to wrong subject if given the chance.
  2. Max Late
    How long can assignments be submitted after the due date/time. This might be 0 days or 365 based on your needs
  3. Grace Period
    Small amount of time (0-45 minutes) where assignments will not be considered late. This takes care of the 5 minute late problem when the system/network slows to a crawl because 200 students are trying to upload their files simultaneously.
  4. Lock/unlock assignments
    Allow temporary locking of the assignment while you download what is submitted, update the support files, etc
  5. Extensions to individual students
    If you have a class of 400+, exception is the norm. Keeping track of extensions to students is a major hassle. The system should allow individual extensions to students. It is logged, in a shared space so tutors can see it, and the system will not mark the assignment late even though it is submitted after the due date
  6. Sort submission by field
    I only tested Moodle with two students, but listing all the assignments on a single web page does not work for large subjects. You need an excel spreadsheet like interface (with assignments for individual students each on a separate web page) that you can sort based on username, id, submission date, etc. Optionally need to limit how many assignments are displayed per page. 400+ lists can be slow to generate, depending on how the database/program is configured.
  7. Download assignments in groups
    Instructors should be able to select students and download all the files for those students for that assignment with the option to 'select all', 'select late', etc.
  8. Multiple files per assignment
    Why limit it to one file per assignment? Programming subjects often require multiple files.
  9. View/Delete/Download individual assignment files
    Both students and lecturers should be able to view and download assignment files either individually or as a group in a zip file
  10. View submission log
    Allow the teachers to see the activity about the assignmen with dates, actions, etc.
  11. Specify what file(s) can be submitted
    This was one of the most heavily used features of Submit!, specifying what file names would be acceptable for the assignment. Even for simple assignmnets where students are asked to submit "hello.cpp" there will be some that wills ubmit hello.h, hello.cc, hello, etc. Prevents students from making mistakes, makes it easier on lecturers. In addition to individual file names, specifying regular expressions is also possible giving more flexibility (so all files with .html extension are accepted)
  12. Upload feedback in a zip file
    I can work much faster in my favorite editor then the forms on the browser. If I can download all assignments, create a file, say feeback.doc, for each student and upload all of them that makes it much easier for me.
  13. Upload file on student's behalf
    It happens, assignment arrives by email and it is more time consuming to negotiate with the student than it would be to upload the assignment for the student, so it can become part of the feedback/marking stream.
  14. Become a student
    This is a dangerous option and may already be supported by Moodle, but lecturers need to login as if they are the student from tiem to time to verify their claims that "they cannot see the feedback" or whatever.
  15. Upload/dowload marks
    I guess this is more a gradebook functionality, but needs spreadsheet integration, relevant for the next item
  16. Multiple marking fields per assignment
    Assignments have components, some components might even be automatically marked and uploaded to the system. Lectureers shoudl be able to specify marking fields
  17. Marks visibility
    Marks can be released or hidden, I guess gradebook again
  18. Marking open/closed/locked
    Open: tutors can enter marks, closed: only lecturers can enter marks, locked: nobody can change the marks -- prevents errors
  19. Group students for marking
    Students are often divided into groups for labs/tutorials. Provide a way so that only the tutor assigned to the group can see those students assignments and enter marks for them. This provides a bit more privacy and prevents problems where there are 10-15 tutors for a class and you do not want to give full access to each. Will also need to be able to view students by their assigned groups. Students can be in multiple groups, but need to make sure that none of them are left out of the groups. Managing activity of swapping groups is another layer of difficulty.
  20. Backup of assignments
    Witin reason, keep older copies of assignments even when the student has uploaded a new version. Might come in handy in resolving disputes.
Do I get the longest wishlist award? What, you are still reading smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yusuf Pisan

Re: Assignment Management Wishlist

by Art Lader -
The ability to limit the filename of a submission is a great idea, Yusuf.

-- Art Lader
In reply to Yusuf Pisan

by Tom Murdock -
Hi Yusuf,

Fine ideas. From my experience, Moodle already satisfies 10-17, 19. #1-7, 9 are not directly addressed, but because assignments are due at certain times and all submissions are logged and times are displayed in the "assignment view" page, I feel like I can manage anything that comes my way.

We can't upload multiple files yet (8) and to satisfy #20, I create a second assignment called "revision" so that the old and new versions stay in Moodle. #6 is probably best satisfied with the excel export.

I hope this helps.

-T
In reply to Yusuf Pisan

by Mark Pearson -

Thoughts on Assignments:

1. Assignment type:
    In Editing Assignment page, add the following types:
      i) Inline entry (use the html area component but fix it so that if you use Wiki formatting and redit the editor returns in plain mode and not html mode)
      ii) Web URL so that students submit a URL to a web page they've authored. This is really *not* the same as uploading the web page itself. I want to keep the student's page in it's proper environment.
      iii) upload multiple files (or web URLs).
  2. Extension to due date for assignment submission.
    In Editing Assignment page, add option to :
      i) Allow extension for whole class & individual mitigating circumstances.
      ii) Allow extension for individual mitigating circumstances only.
      iii) No extensions.
    [Settable default]
    This would be a flag visible to the Instructor but not to the students:
    Option i) would involve a de facto extension of the due date to the entire class - usable if a number of students had some athletic meeting which delayed their assignment work. This would get annnounced to the whole class in some manner.
    Option ii) extends the due date for specified individuals and no general announcement.
    The issue would be: should extensions be grantable post Due Date? I would say not.
  3. Assignment Feedback
    Rather like the "New Assignment" module of 1.2 (where is that now?) allow feedback per assignment (but use HTML area) and enable uploading of feedback file(s) or web URL(s).
  4. Specify file type(s) (equivalent to specify file extension #11). Here one could perhaps choose from a pulldown list what file types/extensions are acceptable. This would require some thought in order to make it OS-X compatible. Probably using MIME types would be the best way to go.

Comments on Yusuf's post:

1. Assignment Open date - How is this different from creating an assignment in a future week and hiding it? (except that it's invisible and therefore less confusing)

2. Max Late -  "Closing Date" would be another term to describe the same thing..
If an "Extensions granting" option were to be added, this would be irrelevent surely since one could merely grant an extension for all or specified individual students (see above).

3. Grace Period - lower priority in my view. One can circumvent this issue by making the Due time be an uncommon time for uploading - like 12pm midday for example smile
4. Ditto Lock - a function of system performance and not worthy of general inclusion

16. I do like the idea of multiple marking fields per assignment but I think that this is a function of the gradebook. Tom Murdock (above) asserts that this is already present in Moodle although persoanlly I have not found out how it can be done.

In reply to Yusuf Pisan

by Rimas Z. -

One more wish:

an option to specify the minimum (or both minimum and maximum) assignment length, so that a student cannot submit an assignment that is not complete or too short (for example, I want a student to write a story, 500 charracters long...) That would be a nice way of forcing people to produce the required amount of output...

And one more - to be able to edit student's assignment directly - by highligting, changing collor of his/her submission - so that the student can immediately see what is not correct in his/her text...

Rimas

In reply to Rimas Z.

by W Page -
Hi Remas,

I am not a programmer so I cannot address your first issue above with the minimum/maximum characters.  However, I would suggest you check out the MoodleWiki regarding the second issue regarding correcting assignments.

It is pre-installed in v1.4 Dev
It can be added to v1.3.2 from the Module/AddOn page.

WP1