No Discussions, but Replies are Allowed

No Discussions, but Replies are Allowed

by Robert Doherty -
Number of replies: 10

Before 1.7, you could select "No Discussions, but Replies are Allowed" when setting up a Forum.  In other words, with this choice, only the instructor could start discussions, but the students could reply.

With the roles feature of 1.7, this is not possible.  Or is it?  How do you create "No Discussions, but Replies are Allowed" using the "roles" feature?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Doherty

Re: No Discussions, but Replies are Allowed

by lisa wright -
Click assign roles, on the left pane of the course, go to the Overrides tab, select Student, and scroll down to Forum. Here you can disable starting new discussions for students.

I am, however, unsure how to set the roles specific to the forum in 1.7. For example, I have one forum that I wish to allow students to create replies and discussions, and one in the same course that I wish to be announce-only for the instructor. Does anyone know if this is possible?
In reply to lisa wright

by Paul Pennington -

I couldn't find it at first, but here it is.

Select the forum you want to change settings for, then select the 'Update this Forum' button. There are two tabs, Update and Roles. Select the Roles tab.

Then select the Override Roles tab and select the Student role.

Select the Prevent radio button next to Start New Discussions to limit students to respond to the initial prompt message.

In reply to Paul Pennington

by lisa wright -
Thank you Paul! That's exactly what I needed.

by Petr Korviny -
I have very similar problem, only my two forums are on front system page, not in course, and your solution is exactly like mine. But this approach is not OK in my case. I dont know if there is some difference between forums in courses and global system forums.

Moodle 1.7

by Robert Doherty -
Thanks, Paul and Lisa.  Your information was quite helpful.

by Dan Schmeltz -
This post has enlightened me... I was unaware of Object specific overrides per role... this makes it easier to envision upgrading... Thanks Paul Pennington!!!
In reply to Robert Doherty

by Melinda Jurus -
I've followed the advice here and can get the standard forum to work so that no students can post new discussions.

But I can't get Moodle to allow me to create a single, simple discussion. Whenever I choose this option, it gives me an error message saying: "Could not add the discussion for this forum"

Any thoughts? I would really like to have the discussion just show up when they enter the forum, rather than have the kids enter the forum and then have to enter into my discussion topic.

In reply to Melinda Jurus

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It seems to be a bug: See MDL-9213.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Melinda Jurus -
Thanks. Looks like that is exactly what I'm experiencing.

I'm not sure what to do next, though.

Do I keep checking the link you posted to see if the bug is fixed? Or is there already a fix that I need to go find?

Thanks so much smile
In reply to Melinda Jurus

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Melinda,

You could create a Tracker user account then use the "Watch it" link on the bug report page to be notified via email of any changes.