1.5.x -------> 1.7 Upgrade Quiz Review Cloze Questions

1.5.x -------> 1.7 Upgrade Quiz Review Cloze Questions

by Manish Verma -
Number of replies: 13
Another issue I noticed with the upgrade.

In 1.5.x, while moving the mouse to the red/green area a small window used to pop up showing the correct answer. Now this does not happen anymore. This is an issue as after taking the quiz, the student should be told the correct answer.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Manish Verma

Re: 1.5.x -------> 1.7 Upgrade Quiz Review Cloze Questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I suppose you are talking here about questions of the Cloze type, in which the feedback is displayed when mouse hovering over the answer? This might be a theme issue. When you upgraded from 1.5 to 1.7, did you keep your old theme? Was it a standard or customized theme? There have been a number of changes to the behavior of themes between 1.5 and 1.6, carried over to 1.7. You should really use a 1.6 compatible theme, not an old 1.5 theme if you have upgraded to 1.7.

Joseph

PS.- A screen shot showing your exact problem would help us help you.wink

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Manish Verma -
The theme is standard so I think it should be upgraded in the upgrade process.

The screen shot is attached. In both cases the mouse is hovered towards the same region.
Attachment clozeanswers.png
In reply to Manish Verma

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
OK, then if it's not a theme issue it might be an issue with the coding of the question itself.
You did not answer my post as to whether your questions were indeed of the Cloze (embedded) type. I'll suppose that they are.
Could you please post here the exact complete text of the above question, to which the MCQ answers are (a) c1e1d1, (b) c2e3d3, etc. I expect it to be something like:
Select the correct answer to this question (here text of question) {:MULTICHOICE:c1e1d1#Wrong~=c2e3d3#Correct~c3e3d3#Wrong~None of the options given}.

Which gives the result shown in the attached screen shot.

Hope that helps

Joseph

Attachment image-0000.jpg

by Manish Verma -
Hello,

Yes, this is regarding cloze questions when quiz is being reviewed after the attempt is made.

Here is the source code:

Which of the following is an acceptable combination?

(a) c1e1d1 (b) c2e3d3
(c) c3e3d3 (d) None of the options given

{1:MULTICHOICE:%33%(a)#None of the options given~%33%(b)#None of the options given~%33%(c)#None of the options given~%100%(d)#None of the options given}

Incidentally I noticed one more thing while I was looking at the source code. This is related to preview. In preview the pop-up appears if Submit page button is clicked but does not appear when Submit all and finish button is clicked.
In reply to Manish Verma

by Joseph Rézeau -
Manish > In preview the pop-up appears if Submit page button is clicked but does not appear when Submit all and finish button is clicked.

You are right, this seems to be a bug (in Moodle 1.7). I will do further testing and post a bug report.

Joseph

PS.- I still do not understand which is the correct answer in your question. From your code you seem to give 33% grade to answers a, b and c and 100% to answer d. I do not understand how the feedback can be the same for all answers.

by Joseph Rézeau -
See bug report MDL-7602

by Manish Verma -
Thanks for suggesting a solution. After reading Tim's remarks I am not clear what should I do.

Should I change echo "<select $popup $disabled $style name=\"$inputname\">";
to echo "<select $popup $readonly $style name=\"$inputname\">"; or should I comment out <select $popup $disabled $style name=\"$inputname\">";? Currently I am just interested to make it work.

Regarding your earlier query about feedback being same for all the options and grading: (i) Feedback: There is no correct answer, so the student should choose none of the options given. In fact I used to find giving feedback in cloze type of questions very cumbersome/not possible in 1.5.3+ that I used to create a password protected area in the course to provide feedback (ii) Grading: The grading that I typed was just meant for testing.
In reply to Manish Verma

by Joseph Rézeau -
I can guarantee that my suggested hack works (I've tested it on a 1.7 installation).
Just change echo "<select $popup $disabled $style name=\"$inputname\">";
to echo "<select $popup $readonly $style name=\"$inputname\">";
that is: replace the $disabled variable with the $readonly variable.
Please test and report if something goes wrong, but it shouldn't.
Joseph
PS.- Tim's remark was meant to point out that this is not "valid" WC3 code (but it does work).

1.5.x -------> 1.7 Upgrade Quiz Review Matching Questions

by Manish Verma -
Yes it does.

There is a similar issue with matching type questions. The screen shot is attached.
Attachment matchingbug.png
In reply to Manish Verma

Re: 1.5.x -------> 1.7 Upgrade Quiz Review Matching Questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
There is no problem with the matching type questions, since there is no individual feedback provided, only general feedback.
Joseph

Quiz Review Matching Questions

by Manish Verma -
I get your point.

In a question, say for example Multiple Type, even when no individual feedback is typed since the Moodle system knows the correct answer it displays it to the student.

Similarly in matching type questions Moodle system knows the correct matches and I think it should display the correct answers without typing any type of feedback if teacher chooses that.

This is a general point and does not have to do with upgrade.
In reply to Manish Verma

Re: Quiz Review Matching Questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
OK, point taken. The displaying of correct matches in the matching type question is in fact dependent on the theme you are using. For example if you are using the standard theme, unmodified (in Moodle 1.6) the correct answers are highlighted in green. See attached screen shot.
Joseph

Attachment image-0000.jpg

Matching & Cloze Multiple Choice Answers

by Manish Verma -
Fine, that is about correct answers.

I think that the system should tell all the answers. In the screen shot above, how does the student know the answers to bus and cat?

Quiz is about evaluating and learning both so if a student is not able to answer or gives the wrong answer in both cases he/she should be told the correct answer unless teacher has other concerns. In my knowledge cloze multiple choice questions have similar problem in the sense that correct answer is not displayed for the question not attempted. On the other hand in matching type questions it looks like correct answer is not told for wrong attempt or for no attempt to a particular match.