Upgrading from 1.5.2 to 1.7

Upgrading from 1.5.2 to 1.7

by Heather P -
Number of replies: 16
Moodle 1.7 appears to have some features we will definitely want so I am preparing to learn how to upgrade to it and do a bit of practise in advance. We will be waiting for the stable release etc before attacking the live system.
I've found the instructions for upgrading from 1.5 to 1.6 but what I'm wondering is will I be able to go straight from 1.5.2 to 1.7 without stopping at 1.6 on the way or will that not be a recommended route. Will I have to go to 1.6 first and then to 1.7?
I'm already thinking that we are going to have to upgrade MySql as well but I think the php is OK.
Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather P

Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to 1.7

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You should be fine going to 1.7. The instructions for upgrading apply to 1.7 just the same.

As ever, it is vital to have a backup before you start.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Howard,

Just wondering about database migration when upgrading from 1.5 straight to 1.7. thoughtful Are you still provided with a database migration link in 1.7?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
AFAIK... yes. It's one of those "Moodle assumptions" that you can upgrade from any version to any other. My only caveat is that the further you jump, the fewer other people have done it before you and the less testing it has had.

I think quite a few people may end up skipping 1.6 as 1.7 came out relatively soon after.

Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to 1.7 - IMPORTANT

by Martín Langhoff -
With any such "skip one major release" upgrades it's paramount to backup your database at the database level. Use mysqldump (for MySQL) or pgdump (for PostgreSQL) for this or get your hosting company to do so.

Make sure you know how to perform a restore if things go wrong, and that the backup file is good by restoring it somewhere (not on your production server! wink ). You should do it everytime there's an important upgrade, but when it's a double upgrade, it's double important.

And the lifejacket, don't forget the inflatable orange lifejacket when going out to sea...
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Howard and Martín, thanks for the information - good to know.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Heather P -
Thanks to everyone, really useful stuff here.
I shall go away and get practising and I can't wait for 1.7 to be ready for production servers!
Thanks again
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Paolo Brunello -
Hi,
I've upgraded from 1.6.3 to 1.7 but I regret it: I've found the roles thing rather disorienting to my users and not that manageable (i.e. showing/hiding the roles in the home page, just to say one thing).
Therefore I've decided to try to restore my 1.6.3 version, which I had backupped.
I've created a new empty MySQL db, and I've imported the backup db. Than I've changed the config.php file in order to make it point to new MySQL db and to the moodle 1.6.3 folder on my server. Apparently everything seemed to work: I could login, I see the usual "you are connected as <<my name>>" and if I click it I actually get to and see my profile, so I tend to think that the db is actually working. But if I click on any of the administration blocks links in a course, I often get "kicked out" with the message:

A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser.

Then I must login again and I browse around for a bit no problem then I get kicked out again. I don't know why: any clue?

Paolo

In reply to Paolo Brunello

by Thomas Robb -
This might be a problem with the session "cookie". Delete the cookies in your browser cache that are related to your moodle's domain and try again. Or, change the prefix for your cookies in the administration block -- Server/Session Handling.

Does that fix it?
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Paolo Brunello -
Dear Thomas,
thanks a lot! Yes, the cookies prefix seems to have solved my problem: I didn't know that having 2 moodles on the same root folder might cause these problems.

I'm very grateful.

ciao,

Paolo
In reply to Paolo Brunello

by Heather P -
Hi

I got your same error message closed the browser and reopened and still got the same message. Ended up switching to a different browser (went from Firefox to IE 6) Did you find it only during the upgrade process or did it happen continually. So far I've only had it in the upgrade process.

Also showing hiding roles on the home page - did you achieve it at all? On another posting on a forum I was told to put a check in the check box when assigning roles I haven't got any check boxes have you? If you have where were they, have I lost something?

So far I'm still on test systems and am now becoming less convinced I want to make the upgrade - loosing too much stuff, e.g. File manager (My Files block) and the Feedback module. The feedback mod I can probably get away with as there are not too many set up but the file manager no I think I'll probably be shot!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
One more note - it will, for the first time, NOT be possible to skip 1.6 and 1.7 on the way to 1.8 from 1.5 or earlier. If you want to go beyond 1.7, you need to "stop" at 1.7 and complete all the UTF-8 migration before continuing.

Moodle 1.8 will actually prevent you with a message if you are upgrading from earlier than 1.6.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Heather P -
I've been trying out the upgrade and by the time I got to it Moodle 1.7.1 was out. I didn't notice anything particularly for upgrading to UTF-8 and wonder if I should have gone to Moodle 1.7 first and then 1.7.1 rather than straight from 1.5.2 to 1.7.1 for some reason I was anticipating a button or something to click.
How can I tell if I'm properly on UTF-8? Is there something on one of the admin pages?
I clicked on the update component button on the server environment page but I have no idea what it did or did not do, it didn't seem to do anything.
Have I jumped too far?
Thanks
Heather
In reply to Heather P

Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to 1.7.1 - migrating to UTF-8

by Helen Foster -
Hi Heather,

There is no need to upgrade to 1.7 before upgrading to 1.7.1 - just upgrade to 1.7.1.

Migrating to UTF-8 after upgrading is highly recommended. You'll find a database migration link at the top of your Administration page. Once you have migrated to UTF-8 the link will no longer be there. Please check docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading_to_Moodle_1.6 and docs.moodle.org/en/Database_migration for further details.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to 1.7.1 - migrating to UTF-8

by Heather P -
Thanks Helen
I have had to upgrade MySQL in order to upgrade the Moodle and on the install process I did choose UTF-8 for it rather than the latin your link to the 1.6 notes led me to the alternative database migration thing which now I can see I've missed a bit on the config.php and the updates from the console - oops. Perhaps that will stop some of the odd quirks that seem to be happening with quizzes!
I'm assuming then that choosing the alternate method will cause the button to never appear.
Right I'm off to start again.
Thanks again.
In reply to Helen Foster

How to Upgrade from 1.5 to 1.7.1 - migrating to UTF-8

by Jayakrishnan Jayabal -
Dear Mr Heather,
Please Help me to Upgrade from Moodle 1.5 to 1.8
Long procedure like we need to upgrade 1.5 to 1.7 first and all ok.
How to Upgarde to 1.7...details i need.

The Complete Procedure to Upgrade like
1.How to convert the Language to UTF 8
2.How to Change the Moodle files (Moodle 1.5 folder files with moodle 1.7 folder files)
3.How to Change the complete database structure from 1.5 to 1.7
My Change Request is like this..
We r running a online education site ...that is under 1.5
we now wat upgrade to 1.8....
Now due to chnages in database and roles....I dont know what to do...further..
Please help me
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Colson -
I am upgrading from 1.5.?  to the latest 1.8 stable - it is not really an upgrade but rather a migration to brand new servers and new sql servers as well.  I only need to keep the records and material from a couple of old courses on the new site.  Question - I have used 1.5 on the production site and used the wos package with 1.6 on my laptop since the beginning - there are a few things i had to learn to stay away from but most of what i created on the laptop could then be exported and later loaded up to the 1.5 release servers. Also had good success using 1.6 to import existing courses that i had exported from 1.5.xx   - now the 64,ooo dollar question (sorry to the global community - it was an old U.S. tv gameshow, that became synonamous with profound questions as to the "meaning of life, world peace and so on")  Might i be able to export my 2 courses from 1.5.xx,  import these files into my laptop version of 1.6, now export them from 1.6 and lastly import the 1.6 files into my new working 1.8 version ?