A theme for Moodle 1.1.1

A theme for Moodle 1.1.1

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Number of replies: 10

For anyone interested, I've attached to this message a theme for Moodle 1.1.1. The theme (still under development and test!) has been obtained editing the following files in the themes/formal_white folder:

• config.php
  • styles.php
  • header.html
  • footer.html

The themes allows the use of two logos, one bigger for the home page and one smaller for the other areas of Moodle. There are no sizes defined for logos in header.html so the size can be modified as needed.

In the .zip file I've also added the file formal_swatch.jpg wich contains the colors used along with the CSS classes impacted.

There are several things to be tuned (especially cross browser compatibility), so if anyone could be interested in using and testing the theme, the feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

Re: A theme for Moodle 1.1.1

by Boyd Mitchell -
I just tried out your theme.  Looks very good.  I'll have to keep it on file for one of my future moodle installs.  Thanks for sharing it.

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thank you! Very good theme!!

Do you plan to design your own icons ? If not, you should write in your config.php
$THEME->custompix    = false;

and remove entirely the "pix" folder.
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Hi Nicolas,

thank you for your suggestions. The pix folder is contained the theme package since I've customized the Moodle original icon set with the theme color but the final look was ineffective, so in the .zip attachment I packed the original Moodle icon set, wich looks better. I'll try to complete the theme with new icons.

About icon in Moodle 1.1.1, I found this issue: after creating a new theme with new icons, (thus creating a pix folder and a pix/mod folder inside the theme folder structure)  the icons of course mods (chat, forum, resources, etc.) in the course topic outline reamains unchanged while the others are corrctly taken from theme pix and pix/mod folder.

Looking at the icons source paths in the course topic outline , I found they are taken from $moodleroot/mod/$modname/icon.gif, while all the other in the same page are taken from $moodleroot/theme/$yourtheme/pix/mod/$modname/icon.gif.

A simple workaround (but breaking the meaning of  themes) is putting each new icon  in the respective $moodleroot/mod/$modname folder, but I would understand if it is a minor bug or I'm misisng something.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In Moodle 1.2 you can now customise all pictures, including activity icons and files icons.  The mod icons go in theme/pix/mod/*/icon.gif.

Nice theme, by the way.  Once you upgrade to 1.2, want to include it in Moodle?  I can give you CVS privs to maintain it.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Andrea Bicciolo -

Hi Martin,

I'm planning to upgrade shortly to Moodle 1.2, so It would be nice to mantain it.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Cool - I'm using it at home right now while working on some groups code.  Very easy on the eye.  My only suggestion right now is about the default logo you're using: the official Moodle logo would perhaps be better.  wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Thank you for sending the Moodle official logo link. I'll create a new pack and post the teme with the new logo. By the way, the logo colour should be as the sample or it can be changed according to the theme color swatch? In this case it would be very usefull a .png (or .psd for Photosshop 6.5) layerd logo file.