New standard themes wanted

New standard themes wanted

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 47
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you're handy with a paint program and CSS, I'd love to see a couple of fancy new generic themes that I can include in 1.0.8 to increase the range of options. The current "standard" themes are pretty basic, and I notice that 90% of sites just use one of the standard themes.

You can post them to this discussion if you want (as a zip file). smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: New standard themes wanted

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Martin.

I made a theme "Ocean Blue".
Please try this wink

You can add your original logo easily.
In reply to Mitsuhiro Yoshida

by Jacob Romeyn -

I tried the Ocean Blue and when it first comes up the gray bars are nicely shaded but when I go to an other location the shading disapears but will return when I refresh the browser. The Browser is set to update every visit.  Any sugestions?

In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hello.

Thank you very much for using smile

Are you using Version 1.0.7?
If possible, could you please check other standard theme whether same thing happens or not?

by Jacob Romeyn -
Yes I am using 1.07 and yes the standard themes do the same thing. I had not realy noticed it before but the gray bar with the shadow looks realy good and a bit flat when the shadow is not present.
In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Did you download 1.0.7 immediately after I announced it? For the first hour or so there was a very small bug with the stylesheet which I corrected without incrementing the version number. Try replacing your lib/setup.php with this: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/moodle/moodle/lib/setup.php?rev=1.27

by Jacob Romeyn -

Hi Martin

I downloaded 1.08 Dev but still get the same result.  I also tried the cordoroyblue and when I first bring it up the bars are plain green but when I refresh the browser the shaded colors are displayed.

In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Martin Dougiamas -
Your site looks fine to me, actually, styles and all. What browser are you using?

by Jacob Romeyn -

Yes thank you it must be the browser on my home computer.

The problem is computer related; all the computers in my  school computerlab work fine. Exept one teacher station. It is probably the browser even though they are all explorer 6.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Works for me. smile All it needs is a nice background. thoughtful

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
I changed "background" with more soft color. shy

cordoroyblue

by Martin Dougiamas -
Oh, the colour was fine, Mits, I was just thinking of a texture or something. smile

I've thrown together a new theme called cordoroyblue (using some textures I'd made for another site) which is in CVS. It uses some new CSS classes to cover a few areas that I'd missed in 1.0.7, so it's best seen on today's code.
Attachment cordoroyblue.png

Re: cordoroyblue

by Mitsuhiro Yoshida -
Hi Martin.

My Moodle is always New now.
I'm updating My PC's Moodle with CVS 2 or 3times a day.

I have checked cordoroyblue, pretty nice smile
I'll try using some texture for new themes.

by Barry Bell -

Setup your browser to automatic, your setting as is will cause problems with some sites.

Example: if you go to my site www.chess4us.dynu.com and you try to review the london system for example with your present settings you will not see the pieces move properly when you choose auto play. With your setting set to automatic you will see the pieces move correctly.

Bright Retro

by Tom Murdock -
I grew to like the standard colors, but wanted them a bit brighter.

by Sean Keogh -
Hi Martin,

I took your cordoroy blue theme as an example and basically changed it all around with different textures and colours smile I'm currently using this on the OILP e-learning site.

http://www.oxilp.ac.uk and click on the e-learning link if you want to see it.

The main features are:

Three different textures, all based on some paper/parchment textures I found freely useable on the web, but with the colours and brightness tweaked by me a little (Or in one case...a lot).

Side box titles set to bold to stand out better against the background texture.

Double border on the main heading box, in whatever section you are in, to help draw attention to the main meat of the page.

"Visited link" colour changed, so that participants can see which sections they have not yet used or visited.

Main (non-texture) table colours set to match better with the cream colour that's used in our website a lot, with a slightly darker version to act as a contrast.

Hope you like it folks.

rgds

Sean K
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Sean Keogh -
Oops! Found that I had missed out double borders on the Course Outline header box.

Attached is the revised version. I've also reduced the padding and increased the text size in the home page header.

Tested and working fine with IE 6 and Mozilla 1.1

rgds

Sean K
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Martin Dougiamas -
Mmm ... parchmenty freshness!

Just a small warning to anyone installing this, the files for this theme aren't packed in a folder, so make one first.

I think we should standardise on packing themes in a folder, it makes them much easier to install.

by Sean Keogh -
oops....Mea Culpa!

Here it is again, in a folder, with all the extraneous files (which I hadn't realised I had left in there) removed and the favicon changed to a brown one, which fits better with the scheme smile

I've renamed it parchment.

Apologies for the multiple postings.

Sean K

by Jai cheswick -
Has anyone been able to create a different layout for Moodle so that it can fit in with the design of a websites overall look instead of changing to the Moodle default layout.

Jai
In reply to Jai cheswick

by RW Wood -

I have, but it's a lot of work going through the code to find what needs to be changed to get the look you want.

http://www.every-nation.com/ibmga  I'm not done so if something breaks, that's the reason.

HTH,
RWW

In reply to RW Wood

by Jai cheswick -
Yes looks good and certainly a shift from what moodle looks like.

I'm not a programmer so its beyond me except for a little tweeking here and there...I wonder if Martin could point in the right direction re changing the layout ......

I would have thought it could be done simply within the template area and slipping in the appropriate php tags.

I'll ask a couple of phpwebsite bods to have a look.

All the best for Christmas ...if it has any real meaning over there....in brisbane it doesnlt seem to have a lot of meaning left.

Jai

by Joe Barnett -
Hello,
I just downloaded Moodle and plan to use it for training and other applications on my website that will be going up sometime in January. I've looked around at other software and must say that I really like Moodle over other software. I especially like the thought behind the teaching, which motived the software design. Three cheers for superior training software design!!! I truly appreciate the work behind the software. Thank you, thank you, thank you! smile Thank you.

I plan on having a very slick website and definitely want to modify the Moodle theme to fit my website design. When I finish the theme modification, I will make some variations as well and will post them to this room.

I may have some questions along the way so I'm sure I'll be in here asking for help for the modifications. I'm not an HTML programmer; I use Freeway on a Mac to create my websites. Freeway is great! However, I do know how to get around Photoshop and 3D software to create an interesting look.

by Bjarne Varöystrand -
Hi Martin! wink

Here is the theme i made, i call it PowerAid and the color scheme is light grey, and uses rather much images to draw the layout.

Please try it out, i think it is rather nice smile

There is no hardcoded colors in the theme, everything is set in style.php and config.php.
I also added some of my own defines to the config.php to be able to better control the apperence of the theme.

Another "feature" is that you can actually change the name of the theme if you want to, since is have used;
<?=$CFG->wwwroot?>/theme/<?=$CFG->theme ?>/images/
instead of hardcoding the theme name.

Hope this meets your standards wink

P.S
The theme is basicly the same as your standard theme...
Since it formed the base for me smile
D.S

Regards
Bjarne
In reply to Bjarne Varöystrand

by Martin Dougiamas -
Nice look!

I'll have to do some editing before including it (I don't think much of the "Powered by PostNuke" at the bottom black eye, and popup help windows shouldn't have all those headers in them) but otherwise it'll be in 1.0.8.

Thanks!

by Bjarne Varöystrand -
oopps! black eye

Missed that one... sorry!

I have done some changes to the theme already...
Missed some hardcoded fontsizes and some missings table headers, i can send you the edited themes instead.. wink
But the help pop-ups i need help with... (it is my first moodle theme...)

Attached is the corrected theme wink

by Philip Tellis -
I've created a steelblue theme - rather simple, no images at all. May require a few changes to suit everyone's tastes. Not sure how to edit .ico files on a GNU/Linux system, so just used the icon from standardwhite. I believe we can use png files for the favicon, but I'd still need to get my hands on a copy of the icon that I can edit. Maybe I'll just screen capture it from Mozilla.

Thanks for the program btw. We've been using it for a while now, and I find it very flexible.

Philip

PS: Is it okay to post the themes as tarballs instead of zips?
In reply to Philip Tellis

by Martin Dougiamas -
Thanks, Philip - looks clean and simple.

Better to use zips to make it esier for Windows users (and according to the download stats, the Moodle zips are downloaded more than the tarballs).

by Jeffery Watkins -

Here is a theme that matches the colors of PostNuke's PostNuke Blue theme.

You can see it in action here: http://www.ohs-web.com/digitalohs/

I included the psd file for the logo.

Jeff Watkins

In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Marc Dastous -

Hi Jeff;

I implemented your theme today http://www.gis4u.com/moodle  and my students loved it!  They made a lot of comments about it.

I have one issue though.  The module highlight feature does not highlight the active module.  Does anyone know how I could fix this?  Which file is that variable in and what variable is it?

Thanks all. 

Marc

by John Gone -
I'll have a go at this. Here's a screen-shot if anyone's interested in a fairly boring but readable theme.
Attachment bluetheme1.jpg

by S. Fieler -

Hi Martin,

perhaps you are interested in my Theme. I'm not quite sure, as I did some tricking around with background-images and CSS as some old output-code made troubles - I really noticed, that you are slowly migrating towards XHTML transitional 1.0, as you tell us in your doctype-declaration. wink.gif

And it might be possible, that this theme may look messy in older Browsers. It works well in IE 6.0, Mozilla 1.1+ and Opera 7+. I do not have older Browsers to test the theme.

In think, before I post the theme here, there should be slightly improvements:

First of all when I'm logged in as admin, the site news cell in the middle has no class. As student, or when I'm not logged in, it has a class. What must I change, that an admin, too has a class in this cell?

Second: in a course, when you have the topic-outline, ist ist possible to have two different classes for the left and the right border of the contenttables?

Third: Where can I change the width of the input-field of search (Search in Forum)? Unfortunately IE is messing around there, displaying a wider field. It is not the button, as I already shortened the buttontext.

Here is, what the theme looks like

It has a background-image, two logos and a background in the header, and the header is on all sites (well, not really, because I needed for the other sites a different Header than on the Home-site, as the table on the home-site is wider and behaves strange, when you work with margin in CSS).

Greetings from Bavaria
Susanne

by Scott Thomas -

Working on trying to make a new theme, but Im having trouble editing the tables.  Any simple way to do this, when they are pieced together in the php code?

Please check out this site I'm working on for a teacher of mine, and let me know what you think.

And if anyone is interested in what I have got so far, Ill be happy to upload it.

Thanks,

digitalJE5U5

In reply to Scott Thomas

by Aaron Luhning -

Hi, it's looking good, unfortunately I can't be much help to you, however I would be interested in seeing your header.html file for your theme, possibly help me out with a problem I'm having.  If you don't mind...

Thanks.

New Standard Theme: osxwhite

by Paul Shew -
I've attached the theme that I use for my Moodle site. It's based somewhat on the graphite colors and feel of Mac OS X. It's a simple light theme.

You can see it in action here: http://ac.shew.jp

osxwhite
version 1.1.1

by Rob Butner -

New THEME attached---

We put together this theme---it's called dollars---you can see it here:

http://67.51.219.20/FINANCIAL_INSTITUTE/

IT INCLUDES A BLANK BANNER THAT MIMICS THE THEME TO ALLOW YOU TO MODIFY TO YOUR OWN LOGO AND SITE NAME--ENJOY!!

ROB

In reply to Rob Butner

by Martin Dougiamas -
YOU SHOULD CALL IT CAPITAL.   (finance, capital, get it?  big grin)

By the way, is 7.31 a real version number?  big grin

by Rob Butner -

YEAH---

Capital is great---can you change it????

OH---7.31 is just the date that we last updated it---the theme...

Hey---I have some new MOODLE mofification work for ya is your available---let me know if I can dump it on ya---Rob

by Kat Mahoney -
Can anyone design a standard black/dark grey theme? I need one to fit this website (www.mmorpgextreme.com)  .... I think I can do it, just probably not as good as you all. Any suggestions might be helpful, otherwise, I'll definitely add a THANK YOU with recognition to whomever develops a theme to match my site for me. THANK YOU!! kiss
In reply to Kat Mahoney

by Kat Mahoney -
Okay, I've tried to do this, let me know what you think so far http://mmorpgextreme.com/university/
In reply to Kat Mahoney

by Carlos Miranda Levy -

Looks cool.

I'd try and get some alternative icons to make it more appealing to gamers everywhere (manga/animé icons for moodle... hmmm sonrisa)