1.6.2 IE OK, bad with Firefox (theme problem?)

1.6.2 IE OK, bad with Firefox (theme problem?)

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Number of replies: 9
We have just installed 1.6.2 and under IE works OK but in Firefox is looking just like below. any ideas of what could be causing this. We have checked themes, permissions and everything seems to be OK.

Attachment sample.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eduardo Hernandez

Re: 1.6.2 IE OK, bad with Firefox (theme problem?)

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Either your firefox isn't getting the CSS for the theme, or somehow it isn't using the CSS. Do you have javascript or CSS disabled in firefox?

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Eduardo Hernandez -
Hello,

We discovered that if we remove the following line from header.html in each theme, Firefox works Ok for us

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

If we remove this line, Moodle pages are displayed correctly.

NOTE: In the same machine we have Moodle 1.6 running without a problem. We installed 1.7 and the same problem occur.

Maybe 1.6 doesn't like brothers! wink

by Dmitry Chalyy -
I experience similar problem with fresh 1.7 installation. And I have no clue how to overcome it.
What should I do to make Firefox show my Moodle site properly???

A small note: When I save my first page to disk, and then open it, it looks properly.

by Chris Throup -
Guessing from the screenshots, that isn't a recent release of Firefox is it? (I'm guessing because of the close tab button).

Maybe this is a Firefox bug which would be resolved by installing an update.
In reply to Chris Throup

by Dmitry Chalyy -
Well, I used to view my site by Firefox 2.0.0.1 and 2.0.0.3. The result is similar to screenshots.
I think that Firefox doesn't interpret a styles.php as css style. But I don't know what to do to make Moodle look good in Firefox.
Anyone have an idea???
In reply to Dmitry Chalyy

by Dmitry Chalyy -

Oh, sorry. Javascript and css are enabled in firefox.

Moodle.org looks perfect, but my site does not.

by Dmitry Chalyy -
Okay...well i think it's an Apache configuration issue. So, could someone send me to "mystx (at) mail (dot) ru" working .httpd (apache config) and .htaccess configuration files?
I think mozilla reject styles.php because it doesn't treat it as a css.

P.S. Apache log says that everything is fine! smile))

Re: 1.6.2 IE OK, bad with Firefox (theme problem?) (possible solution)

by Dmitry Chalyy -
Okay, we've done it!!!

The problem was with incorrect setting in php.ini file. Default charset must be "UTF-8" and not "win-1251" as it was. (Charset win-1251 is not exists - must be windows-1251).
After editing php.ini you must restart Apache.
Check your charset!
The root of the problem is: browser got charset settings from .php file, it looks to "default_charset" string from server and if it don`t understand - drops everything (with css config).

Re: 1.6.2 IE OK, bad with Firefox (theme problem?) (possible solution)

by Mikhail Bauman -
You may edit php.ini, but may -
add this string in .htaccess file (create if not exist) in your moodle directory:
php_value default_charset "UTF-8"

This path more optimal if you use many virtual hosts on your server what use many several character set encoding smile