IE and word files...

IE and word files...

by thierry reygnier -
Number of replies: 10
Hello,

If i use Internet explorer to view a microsoft word file into a resource. Then, internet explorer open the file inside IE automatically (it don't ask me if i need to save ou edit) but i don't have a word file menu to save the file ( it's automatic but usually the word menu are available in IE) and if i try to print, nothing appear in the preview.

With mozilla or firebird wink no problem... But so many people use IE that we need to work with it... sad

Any idea ?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to thierry reygnier

Re: IE and word files...

by Bryan Williams -

You are starting to understand how wedded IE and Word are.  Since Word 2000 this application has essentially been an HTML editor.  Word puts VERY Microsoft specific crap into the source code so that you can move the file back and forth seemlessly in the browser (and other Office applications).  When you change the contents of the original Word document, the web page is updated. There is very little control over this process. 

If you select View Source from the context menu that appears when you right click a document, you can see some of the junk Word puts inside the HTML document.  For maximum control over your documents and student viewing in different browsers, suggest you create these documents in Rich Text (WordPad) and not Word. 

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Daniel Mikšík -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Translators
Agree, RTF is a good option though not everytime (sometimes complicated formatting gets spoiled in different versions of Word). Using OpenOffice.org 1.1 with its built-in export to PDF is also a very good possibility (if you don't want/need the students to modify the file).

The default settings for IE+Office documents can be changed. See the article called How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;162059. You'd be surprised but it works.cool
Dan
In reply to Daniel Mikšík

by Peter Sereinigg -

Thanks for help, that was the right way,

• for office 2003 here the solution:
  • Start -> Run -> regedt32.exe 
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes
    look for
    .doc
    .xls
    and so on
  • right mouse click -> new -> String Value
  • Name: BrowserFlags
  • Value: 8

Works for all extensions (doc, xls, pdf (!) and so on)

For somebody who would like to try this, be very, very carefully and baxkup your registry before changing !!!!!!!! It may kill your pc in seconds ...

In reply to Daniel Mikšík

by Bryan Williams -
The OpenOffice.org is a good solution, I use it.  Changing the registry on a Windows computer is a role of the dice, beyond the skills of the average user and not a good practice. This is the sort of voodoo that drives IT staff nuts.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Daniel Mikšík -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Translators
Agree again, that's why I didn't post any flat-out instructions on changing the registry here.wink Moreover, the preferred solution suggested by Microsoft does not require any direct registry changes, the user is navigated through a regular sequence of menus, windows and tick boxes.

by thierry reygnier -
Hello,

Thanks for all your answers but i'm not the manager of the PC of my students and my teachers so it will be hard to explain for everybody what to do and  usually people are just computer user and not technician... (excuse my english, i'm french...)

Do you think that for example it could be great to have a small floppy disk icon close of the name of the resource to directly  download and save the resource ?
Or, may be that the link of the ressource can open the ressource in a blank windows that's allow to save the file because the file menu will be available for MSoffice files or adobe ?

I think the problem append because  there's frames in the window where you open a ressource with moodle.

Is there a bug or suggestions forum for moodle ? (i'm sure i saw it but i don't remember how to get it...)

Tanks you...

by Paul Duff -

May have missed the point here, but if the Word document is needed to edit, then 'right click save target as' is our usual approach.

If the document isn't needed for edit, then why not display as HTML.  It is possible to remove the extraneous MS coding using the following utility:-

Download Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=209adbee-3fbd-482c-83b0-96fb79b74ded&displaylang=en

What it does

http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010552611033&CTT=6&Origin=EC010553071033

Command Line Options

http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010552491033&CTT=98

In reply to Paul Duff

by thierry reygnier -
Hello,

When we use right click on a resource ans save target as... we can only save the php file "view.php"...

I think that the easiest way it's to have a small floppy disk icon close of the resource to directly save the file because we don't know the level technic of our students, so the system must be easy to use from everywhere and never mind what's browser used.

Thank you for your help... i'm still looking about...