A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser.

A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser.

by Yanni Malliaris -
Number of replies: 53
this is UNACCEPTABLE. It makes moodle unusable. could someone please help me to resolve this error. I cannot use moodle at all.

When I first installed moodle i never had this error. A few days later after playing around with the settings that's all i am getting now. I cannot launch my site seriously with this short of errors.

The other difference i noticed is that whenever i go to the login page - the username demo is typed in...this didn't happen before..or if it did it contained the username admin..

here is my site if anyone wishes to help

www.bipolarlab.com/academy

thanx

yanni
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yanni Malliaris

Re: A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser.

by Yanni Malliaris -
i think something is going on with the cookies. when i delete my cookies it goes through the page and does away with that error message. then it happens again...any ideas what i may have done wrong?

Re: A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser.

by Ken Wilson -

Hi Yanni

This could be a permissions problem. Check this thread (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=46580#213615), and have a look at your permissions.

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Yanni Malliaris -
that's probably most likely it...my session folder permissions are set to 775 but for some reason it doesn't let me to change it to 777 - where all the other folders are set to 777...it just occured to me to try to create a new sessions folder - and this one came with the 775 permissions but now i could change it and did change it to 777...let's see whether this will work...

can you please tell me what other permission settings i need for the other folders?

thanks

by Yanni Malliaris -
i am still getting the same error...but my main installation folder has the permissions set to 775 - and it doesn't let me change it to 777

by Ken Wilson -

Hi Yanni

If changing permissions is a problem, sometimes saving the session data in your database may avoid the file permission issue.

The setting is dbsessions and it is in Administration, Configuration, Variables, Operating System, dbsessions=yes.

See if this works first. 

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Yanni Malliaris -
Dear Ken,

first of all many thanks for taking the time to help with my problem. Indeed I have tried to change that setting but i get another error when i change it and try to save my changes:

A required parameter (sesskey) was missing

i have no idea what that is or how to resolve. Regarding my original error when I clear my cookies things work fine again. But as I login and start working with moodle again it comes up at some point.

I could always re-install my moodle application (i am with lycos.co.uk and they have an easy uninstal/install process) but I dare the day that I would have developed my moodle content and have something like that happen to me again. So I would prefer to resolve this and find out what really went wrong since my first installation.

thanks

yanni

by Robert Brenstein -
Have you tried to restart your computer or at least quit and relaunch your browser? The only time I see such errors is when I am accessing multiple Moodles on the same server, but reloging always fixes the issue for me.

If your problem persists, tell us the server and browser configuration as well as Moodle version.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Yanni Malliaris -
yes i have. as i said before once i clean up the cookies it works again but only for a little while.

it seems to happen whenever it tries to call this page:

http://www.bipolarlab.com/academy/login/index.php

which probably requires to use cookies...

i use:

moodle 1.53
firefox/IE
MySQL version:  4.0.18
PHP version:  4.3.9

please let me know if you need more info.

thanks

yanni

by Ken Wilson -

Yanni

I think it may be best to re-install. In this post (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=24877) there is a note that sesskey problems are due to different file versions.

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Yanni Malliaris -
messed it up...deleted everything and re-installed only to have the same problems...

i think it is a permissions problem. there is nothing written in the sessions folder.

anyone who can help???

by Yanni Malliaris -
this has to be a cookies and a permissions problems. there is no other explanation. the error message goes away the moment i clean my cookies but then it takes me back to the login screen. Interestingly enough the browser does not remember my admin username and instead it sets the username demo and some other password which don't work.

it will let me login just once once the cookies have been cleaned up but then at some point when there will be a need to call the index.php page it will bring up that error message. I tried setting the database sessions to yes - but it still gives me the sesskey error...and we are talking about a brand new install here with no tinkering at all...

regarding permission: my original folder is set to 775 -- then moodle folder is set 775 -- moodledata folder to 777 -- and sessions folder to 775 --this is blank by the way. For some reason i cannot change the permission settings of the 775 folders to 777 -- the only way to change the sessions folder to 777 is by deleting it and creating another folder with that name.

I am sure there has to be some short of an explanation for all these. I wonder if some change has taken place with lycos setup that created all these problems. I remember when i first installed moodle - a couple of weeks ago - it was all working fine.

thanx

yanni

by Robert Brenstein -
Not only the permission but also owner/group of the folder have to be set correctly. If you can't change these yourself, ask your provider to do it for you.problems changing these have been discussed in the past, so you can try searching forums.

I just tried to create an account on your site and got the same error, so there is really a problem somewhere on the server. The errors at this stage should be recorded in the system log. Have you checked that? You can activate additional error logging by setting the debug on at the bottom of the variable configuration panel of your Moodle.

by Hendrik ten Hoor -

I have exactly the same problems. Additional I get the following error on a regular base as well: Your session has timed out. Please login again

The whole thing started while I started developing a course. I'am under the impression the problem got worse during course development. It now has reached a point where it practicly impossible to work with course. Logged in with a student account I have the same problems.

My website is hosted by Lycos (in the Netherlands) as well and I to installed Moodle using there One Click site functions.

My site is watersportcurssussen.happy-sailing.nl

At the Lycos controlpanel there is link for PHP feedback. They acknowledge there are problems with PHP sites and ask feedback from there customers. Unfortunately the error message is very vague. It would have been nice it there would have been an error code to provide to lycos.

I'am trying to developing commercial courses, but with these kind of problems it is impossible to make a living out of it.

So I'am desperatly looking for a solution. I'am wondering if other users, who use an other hostingprovider, experience the same problems.

Regards,

Hendrik ten Hoor

In reply to Hendrik ten Hoor

by Yanni Malliaris -
Hi Henric,

I emailed Lycos customer support yesterday and they said they would forward this to their tech guys. I think they are the same people in UK and Holland so it would probably help if you emailed them to with similar problems.

I suspect it's something about their folder permission rights which they probably changed at some point and not so much PHP - unless knowledgeable people know better here.

If there are any MOODLE DEVELOPERS here it would be good to get involved and help us to get this sorted because Lycos is a big hosting provider which supports directly MOODLE by hosting it on their one-click installations - so therefore it is a really good host to promote moodle and it is really bad to have such problems.

I suspect their tech guys would need help from the more knowledgeable moodle tech guys/developers.

looking forward to further help and perhaps directo contact with lycos....

I copy their email.

Yanni

ps.

rom: Lycos Customer Service <webcentre-support-uk@lycos-europe.com>
To: malliaris@gmail.com
Date: Mon Jul 10 12:58:27 CEST 2006
Subject: <Ref1395503> WebCenter Lycos OneClickSite on UK

Dear Yanni,

Thank you for contacting us.
I have forwarded your request to our technical department. I will contact you as soon as I get a reply from them.
I appreciate your patience.

With kind regards,

Hanna-Liisa Pender
Lycos Customer Service

by Hendrik ten Hoor -

I will inform Lycos in Holland about this problem as well.

However I'am not convinced this is a permisson problem. If you are not granted access to a resource, you never get that acces to that resource. I get the error more frequently than I used to do, but I do not get it always. I'am working on a course and I'am still able to update for example lesson pages. Sometimes it works fine, other times I have to try it several times, login in again as well, but in the end I do get the page saved. If this was a permission problem, my guess would be that it would not work at all.

I get the "required parameter missing" error as well, but usually after I got the server error first.

I do run a postNuke portal as well hosted by Lycos. In the admin section of this postNuke portal I get the warning that the directive "register globals" has been turned on. On the postNuke forums there is a waring that it should be turned off. Turning it on creates a potential security issue.

PHP documentation describes that this directive might affect the session handling functions of PHP as well. So I wonder whether Moodle expects this directive to be turned on or off. The default value changed fron ON to OFF as of PHP-version 4.2.0 Any Moodle devolpers out there who now the answer ?

Regards,
Hendrik ten Hoor

by Ken Wilson -

The setting should be OFF. See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Security.

The php.ini file should be based on php.ini-recommended. The install instructions suggest you copy php.ini-recommended, which has this setting, and amend it as you php.ini file.

Ken

In reply to Ken Wilson

by Hendrik ten Hoor -

Ken,

I passed on your info to Lycos. I suppose I'can change the PHP.INI file, that's up to Lycos.

Regards,

Hendrik

by Yanni Malliaris -
glad to see someone seems to know what may be happening...hopefully the dutch lycos will work with the UK one...I should pass this info as well to them...

y

by Hendrik ten Hoor -

Yanni,

Last thursday I got a mail from Lycos that they solved the problem. Unfortunately they did not mentioned how the problem was solved. I know they did not changed the value of the directive "globals", it is still set to ON. That I could see using PHPINFO.

I have been using Moodle over the last couple of days and indeed, I do not get the problem once I have logged on. The funny thing is, I get it consequently now when I go the my website. It is annoying but I can still go to the login screen and login. The only way to prevent it is by deleting the cookies. I'am still not happy with it, but at least I can work on my course material.

I still have other problems like for example it is hard to change configuration settings. I often get the standard error page from the explorer that it is not able to display the page. Quite often the last items on the variables configuration page are not shown. When that happens it, is virtual impossible to save the changes. Sometimes I get the error "required session key is missing".

I also get warnings when I make a backup. So far I have not been able to restore a backup in a different domain running another Moodle site either. This also is a worry to me.

So Moodle on the Lycos site still is not working perfectly.

Did you heard anything from Lycos UK ?

Regards,

Hendrik

by Yanni Malliaris -
Hi Hendrik,

Problems seem to have subsided on this end too. I haven't done that extensive testing yet to see whether I get any of the errors you mentioned but I have also been able to setup up things and work on putting courses together without errors. But it is very likely to have all the problems you mentioned. I just haven't had the time to do any extensive work on it yet.

I got the following reply:

------------------
Date: Mon Jul 17 16:36:11 CEST 2006
Subject: WebCenter Lycos OneClickSite on UK

Dear Yanni, I have recived a reply from our technical team and the matter concerned should now be resolved. I apologize again for the inconvenience caused. With kind regards, Hanna-Liisa Pender Lycos Customer Service

----------------------

Maybe it's worth finding out whether the dutch and the UK webservers are the same. I still think the Moodle development team should get in touch with the Lycos tech team to make sure everything works fine - only because Lycos is a big web host and make it really easy for people to install and use Moodle.

Yanni

by Hendrik ten Hoor -

Dear Yanni,

I got a similar reply. I did mentioned to Lycos Holland that one of there customers in the UK had the same problem. I would expect that the Lycos support staf use a service management system accessible to all support staff independ of the country they reside. Changes are quite big both your and mine problem ticket have matched and solved at the same time applying the same solution.

I did ask them to supply me with details of the solution but so far I have not heard from them again.

Regards,

Hendrik

by Yanni Malliaris -
here we go again... after a few weeks of blissful operation i got the same error message...why can't they live things working...

I emailed the UK tech support again. Let's hope they will manage to fix this once and for all.

yanni

( Continue )

by Etan Lightstone -
I was getting this error constantly while testing moodle 1.6 and finally figured out what was going on!

We had moodle 1.5 running on our server as well as a freshly installed moodle 1.6 (who's database we upgraded from the existing live 1.5 moodle).

we had ourserver.com/moodle as our live site
and ourserver.com:8000/moodletest as our test site

Every time we entered certain courses on the test site, it would give us the above session error and kick us out. This happened mosty when we tried to turn "editing mode on" in a course.

We discovered that this occurs if the course has an image on its front page (html content in "summary" field in mdl_course_sections table ). The problem is these images don't use relative links, so on our test moodle we had images loading on the front of courses pointing to ourserver.com/moodle/file.....  every time I hit "edit mode" it tried to read that file on the OTHER moodle... causing a session conflict and kicking me out.

I did a general search replace on the entire mdl_course_sections table so all files point to the new test moodle location... problem SOLVED! no more sessions going away smile

in postgresql there is a built-in function:
UPDATE mdl_course_sections set summary=replace(summary,'ourserver.com/moodle','ourserver.com:8000/moodletest');

by Andrei Barhatov -

I have the same problem now. I determined that it's problem with php function fopen(), which doesn't work with URL on my web-server, although php ini-parameter allow_url_fopen=on. My admin works on this problem...

Check your allow_url_fopen at php info page (http://...moodle..../admin/phpinfo.php).

In reply to Andrei Barhatov

by Will Muenchow -
I'm having the same problem today. You said check your allow_url_fopen - but check it for what? What should we be checking it for? Mine says "On" for both Local Value and Master Value.
In reply to Will Muenchow

by Simon Bryan -
I get this problem every now and then, usualy when I have been left Moodle and the session has indeed timed out - but not every time.
I have two basic solutions:
1. Clear ALL the Moodle cookies and restart the browser before attempting to login to Moodle again. If that does not work then..
2. I use dbsessions in the MySQL database, I use MySQL admin to go in and delete the session information for the effected user, and still clear cookies and restart browser - this can't be done by an ordinary user, but then it has never happened to anyuser other than Admin.

A more permanent solution would be good, but this gets me back in every time.
In reply to Simon Bryan

by Evan Whitaker -

You say you use dbsessions in the database to delete the session for the affected user.  Care to elaborate?  I can access the db with MySQL admin but the only entry I see the remotely resembles dbsessions is called mdl_sessions2 and I'm clueless as to how to find or delete session information for a user.

Your help would be appreciated.  Thanks,

Clueless

In reply to Evan Whitaker

by Daniel Summars -

I've see the same error on multiple Moodle sites.
Yes, it occurs more often when accessing two different Moodle's on the same server, or when having multiple browsers open to the same Moodle site.
Did anyone ever discover the cause (here, a year later)?

In reply to Daniel Summars

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Daniel,

In Moodle 1.8 go here:

admin > server > session handling > "Cookie Prefix"

put something in the Cookie prefix field that is different for each of your moodle sites, and it should improve the issue with multiple sites on the same url.

Can't remember the "exact" navigation path to this setting pre 1.8 - but it's there in the admin pages somewhere...

good luck.

smile

Dan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

ตอบ: Re: A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser.

by Ekachai Singthong -

This problem also occur in my system and your reply solved it.

Thank you verymuch.

In reply to Evan Whitaker

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Evan,

- normally sessions are stored in your moodledata/sessions folder - what exactly is the problem you are experiencing?

the mdl_sessions2 table is used to store sessions in the Database (disabled by default)  - the dbsessions setting enables this. - in Moodle 1.8 the setting can be found here:

Admin > Server > "session Handling"

the setting "Use database for session information"

good luck!

smile

Dan

In reply to Dan Marsden

by ChanHan Hy -
Hi,
I am very happy today because i have resolved the problem with session detected in the browser while i followed your instructions.

It's very useful.
Please kindly keep it here.

Thanks,
Best regards,
Han

In reply to ChanHan Hy

by M. Commini -
Han,

you say you resolved the problem but weren't clear on 'how' you solved it. Did you do it by setting the database to store the sessions or what?

Thanks,

Mike
In reply to M. Commini

by Carlo Grandi -
check the folder moodledata; open the config.php, make sure that the directory exists and is accessible. In my case wasn't...i have created another folder, setted with 777 permissions and declared with absolute path in config.php

hope that help
In reply to Carlo Grandi

by uma k -
Error found:

"A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser."

The above mentioned error occurs when i click on any links in home page.Mainly this error occurs only when i need to navigate from page created by own(newly included page which are not available in moodle) to login page/any link.

This would be solved by clearing cookies and i need to refresh page or need to click on continue button shown below that error message.

I am running this moodle using xampp server

I dont know how to resolve it.

I think i need to give full rights permission to user created page but io dont how to give it from command prompt.

Please need help!!

i need a very quick reply .

In reply to uma k

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Howard Miller

by uma k -
I am sorry i didnt get the solution clearly,could you please explain it
In reply to uma k

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Which bit didn't you understand and I'll try to explain it better?

More often than not it comes down to permissions on your moodledata directory. Exactly what to do depends on what your OS is, if you are on a host etc etc

by uma k -
for time being i have corrected it by commenting one redirect line in file moddle/lib/moodlelib.php. it is working fine.But i think it is not a correct solution.

function report_session_error()
{

//redirect($FULLME, get_string('sessionerroruser2', 'error'), 5);
}

In reply to uma k

by Karthik Subash R -
This is valid as of now .. but need to closely watch this .. did u check that the disk space which is having enough space to store the session files or is it spilling over?. have u checked the creation of session files after commenting this line coz there should not be a mess up after this .try to do a impact analysis also.
In reply to Karthik Subash R

by uma k -
Many thanks for your reply and with patience could you plz explain me where to check the creation of session files and also how to chk whether disk space is sufficient to store session files.

Plz reply to me.

In reply to uma k

by Karthik Subash R -
it will be located on \usr\moodledata\session . But i think u are using windows for that need to check with the folders related to data .i hope there will be session folder present in it .. Check whether it has sufficient disk space to store the session files in the future . the same problem which happend to me also thats wat telling to u .

Regards,
Karthik.

by uma k -
function test(c,id)
{
var yourvalue=window.prompt("Enter Enrollment Key");
var param = "course=" + c + "&cid=" + id + "&enroll_key=" + yourvalue;
ajax_obj = getajaxobject();
ajax_obj.onreadystatechange = function()
{
if(ajax_obj.readyState == 4)
{
if(ajax_obj.responseText == "Enrollment key is not a valid one")
{
alert(ajax_obj.responseText);
}
if(ajax_obj.responseText == "ok")
{
window.location.href="http://www.google.com";
}
}
};
ajax_obj.open("POST","check_ajax_page.php", true);
ajax_obj.setRequestHeader("Content-type", "application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
ajax_obj.setRequestHeader("Content-length", param.length);
ajax_obj.setRequestHeader("Connection", "close");
ajax_obj.send(param);
}

In the above code "window.location.href="http://www.google.com";" is not working .Plz someone clarify it.
In reply to uma k

by Howard Miller -
Huh?

We'll need more explanation about the problem. What do you want clarified. If there is an error, what is it?

by uma k -
Error:

"A server error that affects your login session was detected. Please login again or restart your browser."

Actually this problem occurs in my login page .I have included many links in login page and if i want to enter into that without login means then this error occurs ,for this i need to clear browser cookies and need to refresh the page to get back to main page.

Do i need to include any session file or need to enable cookies?

actually this prob occurs bcoz of session only .i dont know how to solve it.

In reply to uma k

by sathish kamaraj -
Just add the following line in your config.php file

$CFG->usesid = true;
In reply to Carlo Grandi

by uma k -
Anyone plz help me for the above server error problem i need it immediately

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, most probably this is the fault of your server administrator. The problem is that your server is accessible from both http://www.bipolarlab.com/academy/ and http://bipolarlab.com/academy/, this can not work! You must add permanent redirect to one of these sites in apache config.

This issue is already addressed in 2.0dev, it will complain very loudly in order to prevent similar problems.

Petr

PS: please DO NOT use $CFG->usesid = true;, this setting is not secure because it allows session fixation attacks on your site.
In reply to Petr Skoda

by uma k -
If i register new user in moodle ,it will ask user to edit profile at first time.
1.i dont want to redirect to this edit profile page at first login .
2.and also if i delete surname from edit profile template means then user details will not get updated .

i searched whether surname is mentioned as mandatory anywhere ,but it is not.i dont know how to correct it.
Plzzzzzzzzz help me.

by,
uma
In reply to uma k

by Howard Miller -
Firstname, lastname and email are mandatory when creating a new user.

I don't know if this answers your question?

by Howard Miller -
this is UNACCEPTABLE. It makes moodle unusable.

I know that this post is millions of years old but that initial post really annoys me every time I see it. It's stupid on so many different levels.

Just venting big grin

by Doglis Paez -

Hola, recien comienzo a usar moodle...

lo instale localmente y me funciono muy bien...pero cuando lo instale en el hosting...

No podia entrar al admin de moodle...y me indicaba el siguiente error

Me di cuenta q en config.php estaba mal la ruta a la carpeta moodledata y cuando se creeo la carpeta el nombre estaba mal...y por eso no pudo crear el resto de carpetas q contiene moodledata (como lo son sessions, user, temp,cache,lang)...de modo q no podía crear la session y no entraba al moodle como admin...

la forma correcta es,

$CFG->dataroot = '/home/example/moodledata';

(fuera de la carpeta public)

Ahora, lo que hice fue crear la carpeta moodledata, manualmente...y copie el contenido que tenía en la carpeta del localhost, y listo reinicie el navegador...coloque el usuario y clave y entre al área de administrador de moodle

Espero les sea útil...