Accessibility: RFC - Moodle Accessibility Specification

Accessibility: RFC - Moodle Accessibility Specification

by Nick Freear -
Number of replies: 6
Dear All

(Also posting in the General Developer Forum.)

Following on from the work undertaken for Moodle 1.6 (RFC - Accessibility Proposal), a group at the Open University has written a draft accessibility specification for Moodle 1.7:
    http://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_Accessibility_Specification

It is an ambitious document, and we would like your feedback on it. Please make clear in discussions on the forum which section(s) you are commenting on.

Thanks

Nick
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Freear

Re: Accessibility: RFC - Moodle Accessibility Specification

by Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo -
Hi Nick  smile

Congratulations ! This seem to be a good step in the good way wink

I will try to contribute... (I'm overworking, allways, but I will try to do my best)

All the best.

In reply to Nick Freear

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Nick,

I discussed this project with MartinD at MoodleMootNE and will be reviewing and commenting on this within coming weeks. (I'm a bit under the gun with a couple other projects ATM.)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Ger Tielemans -
On IMSproject they ("The Canadians") are seeing Accessibility in a more broader scope: Accessibility, given this re-definition, is the ability of the learning environment to adjust to the needs of all learners.

So it also can be used to set learning preference style for any user. Will you move that way also?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Martyn Cooper -
Well I have a foot in both camps.  I am a member of the IMS Accessibility Working Group with "the Canadians" and I have contributed to the Accessibility Specification for Moodle (there were also other Brits, Yanks and even an Ozzie in the group).  The IMS AccessForAll approach requires user profiles that describe a persons needs and preferences for the way they interact with the computer.  As I understand it there is no such provision or plan for such provision within Moodle (correct me if I am wrong).  However that does not stop an implementor bringing the two approaches together.  One method could be to select different CSS style sheets depending on the needs as expressed in the profile.

A key part of the AccessForAll approach is that it provides a method of directing users to alternative content if they find the primary resource inaccessible for some reason.  I think further thought needs to be given how this is best done within Moodle.

Martyn Cooper
Head: Accessibility in Educational Media team
Open University, UK
In reply to Nick Freear

by Matt Machell -
Looks pretty good, Nick. It might benefit from some mention of user testing?

Oh, you mention PAS 78, it's more for commissioners than develoeprs, but if anybody wants a copy you can now get it for free from the disability rights commission site.

-Matt
In reply to Nick Freear

by Michael Penney -
Has anyone updated the wiki for 1.8? I think the skip navigation issue has been addressed, have others?