Finished Presentation - Need a Few More Answers

Finished Presentation - Need a Few More Answers

by Josiah Ritchie -
Number of replies: 19
I presented Moodle to our seminary technology committee and received some great questions. I was also somewhat selling the open source model at the same time. I think I pulled that off, but they'd like a bit more information on the Moodle usage in the US and price comparison to Blackboard.

Is this easily at hand? Could you share a link? Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josiah Ritchie

Re: Finished Presentation - Need a Few More Answers

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Josiah!

We had the basic license of BB 5.5 for 5 years. We did not use any plugins, encryption, or automated tasks that were integrated with the student information system.  We had about 1400-1500 accounts on the system and created about 135 courses per semester.

Maybe this chart will help you--

atw
Attachment bb_costs.gif
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Josiah Ritchie -
Wow, nice chart. That should catch some attention. smile
In reply to Josiah Ritchie

by Michael Penney -
You have to use AT's support cost comparison as well, it is excellant!

I also have some slides here from a recent "Case for Moodle" presentation, more on an "Enterprise" level, feel free to use what is useful there (some I borrowed from Jim Farmer's excellent presentations on BB's financials and the general rising costs of US K-30 education.

The Case for Moodle
In reply to Michael Penney

by A. T. Wyatt -
Here is the link to the charts that compare server side and admin costs.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=42276&parent=202057

Please note that the chart reflects clean installs of both systems, not a migration.  That is why the Proprietary System install seems unusually simple.

I will enjoy looking at these slides, also!

atw

by D.I. von Briesen -
Michael: this link didn't work for me...
d.i.

by Jason Cole -
Hey Michael,

The link doesn't seem to be working.  I'd love to see how you've used Jim's material (as I will be doing the same over the summer).
In reply to Jason Cole

by Michael Penney -
Ok, try the full url above.

By the way, you've made the front page of Accidental Pedagogysmile.
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by D.I. von Briesen -
Wow- that's 88 bucks a course - for basic edition.
d.i.

PS: I guess in fairness, it's half that, if you split it across two semesters, and less for summer.
In reply to D.I. von Briesen

by A. T. Wyatt -
Yes, you are right.  One of the big factors in our decision to go with Moodle was price with regard to how much the system was used. 

I would like to see if anyone can point me to any research on how much courses in an LMS are really used.  I made the courses every semester, but without checking at the end of the term, you don't really know if they were used or not.

I did some analysis on that point and the number of courses that I considered "active" (where students had to log in at least once each week) was extremely low.  Of course, we are not talking about on-line courses.  I would say that most of ours would be considered hybrid--we meet the class and the LMS supports course materials and out of class activities.

Is that common?  Does anyone have any benchmark data?  I think a lot of the reason our LMS was not utilized heavily was because there was little in the way of support.  Faculty were primarily responsible for their own content--no grad students or any other staff that could come in and build up a course for you.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

New BB pricing for 06-07

by A. T. Wyatt -
Just out today.  New BB pricing for 2006-2007 is STEADY at $12,500.  So the trendline may flatten a bit!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: New BB pricing for 06-07

by Jim Farmer -
Did you mean for 2007-2008? The graph has a value for 2006-2007 that appears to be close to 12,500.

Could you also share the numerical values for each year with us? It seems the average increase is about 22% per year, which is the same increase that Oracle showed before and during its acquisition of PeopleSoft.

jim farmer
In reply to Jim Farmer

by A. T. Wyatt -

No, I was wrong about the dates.  It is a confirmation of the 06-07 pricing.  I probably won't know the pricing for 07-08, since we will likely be discontinuing our contract.

2001-2002 and 2002-2003 were the last years you could buy a two year contract, essentially locking in at $5000 per year.

2003-2004 was $7500

2004-2005 was $9500 and that price was also in force for 2005-2006.

The big jump was to $12,500 for 06-07.  Although in fairness to the company, they warned us about that almost a year in advance.

Apologies for posting old information.  When I realized I had the dates wrong, it was too late to delete the post.  New prices for 07-08 should be out by August or September, I think.  They let you know early so that you can plan your budgets for software.

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Jim Farmer -
Thanks for the numbers. A document that I prepared from your posting that may be convenient for others. (It is being included in our reference eLibrary at www.immagic.com/eLibrary/ARCHIVES/GENERAL/MOODLE/M060618W.pdf).

Your facts make the discussion of software pricing more precise and less confrontational.

My favorite Daniel Moynihan quote: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."

jim farmer
In reply to Jim Farmer

by A. T. Wyatt -
Thank you for the link.  But I am a HER not a HIM!  I thought my monster was a giveaway on the female gender, but I guess not!   smile

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by N Hansen -
A.T.-At small scale, I always thought your icon was a flower. So the female gender seemed obvious... tongueout