embedded / popup editor

embedded / popup editor

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Number of replies: 4
I'd like to suggest changing the editor display options a little. Currently, the user profile has two options:
  • use html editor
  • use standard web forms
How about changing it to:
  • use inline (embedded) html editor
  • use standard web forms (with a popup editor on demand)
Or (simplified wording):
  • always use html editor
  • use html editor on demand
The editor is an extremely useful feature, especially now, that it is being polished by Janne and that it is more and more tied to Moodle features, but you don't always need it. Many posts do not require any formatting. And the editor takes a while to load (a short while for many, but quite a while for modem users).

A user who selects the former of the options I'm suggesting would use the html editor as it is now - embedded in the textarea field.

For the latter option I'm thinking of a mechanism similar to the one employed in the Mozilla Composite plugin. Composite is an html editor (a simplified version of Composer) which a Mozilla user can call whenever he needs to use html code in a textarea. (see image #1 in the following posts). When the user is done editing, he clicks on the "Apply" button (image #2) and the code is inserted into the field (image #3). Of course the user can always click "Edit with Composite" again to re-edit the code in wysiwyg.

I think it would be better to have this "always or when needed" choice than "always or never".

What's more, the latter setting would allow the use of the editor in full-screen mode, because the editor would open in an independent, popup window.

What do you think?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: embedded / popup editor

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
image #3
Attachment composite3.gif
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Re: embedded / popup editor

by lou Charrier MIS -

yes i agree.. i have used htmlArea before , i had one webpage with 52 (!) textareas and the first time i tried htmlArea i waited 25minutes before all those 'editors' got loaded !!

what i did was put a text link next to each textarea field : 'load WYSIWYG editor' : and then htmlArea would only load into that one textarea field.

i'm new to moodle but if there is only one textarea on a webpage it's not too difficult to write the link itself , it's just a link ... the 'headache' would be in tracing through the php code that generates the webpage headers and put a 'switch' function that would make that link work!! every webpage has a header and browser versions force moodle to 'jump through hoops' already to deliver webpages with the right header for different browsers ... ;-} ... moodle is a 'big' website even before your  courses are created and your educational content is added...  

the wysiwyg editor is terrific, i love it and am incorporating it as my 'Slide editor' in the chat module enhancement i am coding right now....

but i think having that 'load WYSIWYG editor' link is a great idea , then you would not 'remove functions' when you set your moodle config to not use the editor, it would be a question of 'load by default' or 'load on demand'.

LouCharrierMIS@go.com