Problem editing a quiz

Problem editing a quiz

by Michael Goldblatt -
Number of replies: 5
I have an instructor who created several quizzes in her course. She has a few Teaching Assistants who have editing permissions for her course. She and the TA's can all edit all but one of the quizzes. That last quiz, only the teacher can edit. For the TA's, they see the list of questions, but have none of the little icons next to the questions for "preview", "edit" or "remove". I attached a screenshot of what the TAs see.

I believe this quiz was one that had been published for use from another class. Would this be the cause of the problem? Is there any simple way around it?

Thanks!

-Michael
Attachment moodlequiz.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Goldblatt

Re: Problem editing a quiz

by Gustav W Delius -
All those questions are from a category that is owned by another course. An editing teacher in that other course has made that category public, but that means only that teachers in other courses can see the questions, they can not edit them unless they have editing rights also in the course that published the category. Sorry, I am not good at explaining this. This whole business of published categories is very complicated and I wish they had never been implemented.

I would never use questions from published categories in my quizzes but instead I would import the questions into my course. Otherwise there is always the danger that someone in that other course decides to change the questions after you have used them in your quizzes. 
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Gustav,
>I would never use questions from published categories in my quizzes but instead I would import the questions into my course. Otherwise there is always the danger that someone in that other course decides to change the questions after you have used them in your quizzes.
I quite agree with you on this one.approve
However, this would entail the rather complicated procedure of:
select a "published" category
export questions to file and save
import questions from saved file
On a Moodle site for a very large institution, if teachers were encouraged to "publish" their questions, this might result in a very long list of categories. What I would really like to see is not a "general public published" category but a "teacher" category. When, I, as a teacher, create questions, I would like to have them available to all of my courses (but not to courses taught by other teachers). At the moment this is not feasible in Moodle.
Joseph
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Gustav - I am profoundly grateful that you have implemented published categories. I created a course called a Teacher Repository that allows for questions to be shared between teachers. I have called this approach divide and conquer because it allows teachers to share the work load in preparing material, questions, etc. It is nice to be able to go in and make a correction and know that it will be fixed in all courses. Granted this may involve some actual collaboration; however, it has been very useful. I think the list will grow long but even so I like the idea. To complicate things further perhaps a published quiz category could have its published scope defined so that it could be globally published (through the website), categorically published (for that particular category - in our case it would be department so that I would not have to look at Math questions), or self published (so that a teacher could only see their own questions).  Implementing this might be easier with roles so it may well be worth waiting until 2.0 but I would like to encourage you and thank you for the development as it has greatly facilitated the collaboration within my department and greatly benefited the students. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gustav W Delius -
Anthony, I am glad to hear that published categories are working well for you. However it was not me who implemented them. Moodle has so many people contributing, many of them being teachers themeselves and therefore knowing exactly what is needed.

Nicolas has already implemented the feature that allows question categories to be published only to courses in the same course category. If you haven't done so already, please test his code and give him feedback.