Andreas' Feedback Module: Questions/Comments

Andreas' Feedback Module: Questions/Comments

by Chardelle Busch -
Number of replies: 67
Picture of Core developers
Hi Andreas,

I decided to start a new discussion on this since the other one is getting sooooo long.

I absolutely love this module.  I have a couple of quick questions for you.

1.  Sometimes I do not want my items automatically numbered.  Can you tell me where the code is for the automatic numbering (1.), 2.)...) is so I can comment it out?

2. Also, this is really no big deal, but in the U.S. we use decimal points instead of commas.  Can you tell me where the code is so I can change, for example, 50,00% so it looks like 50.00%?

THANKS
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: Andreas' Feedback Module: Questions/Comments

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Chardelle,
thank you for your suggestions.
The numbering isn't really perfect. There are several places what have to do changed. I planned the more structured numbering for future versions. Then i also will add a switch to hide/unhide numbers.
The problem with decimal points i have fixed. You now will find two more entries at the language-file:

$string['separator_decimal'] = '.';
$string['separator_thousand'] = ',';

So you can set your own separators.
In this regard i also added the printing out usernames in excel if they are non anonymously.
Here is the current download.
bye
Andreas
In reply to Andreas Grabs

by Chardelle Busch -
Great Andreas,

That's great Andreas, is the separator dependent on the language that is set--I guess that's really how it should work.

I'll try the new install--sounds like you are getting just about everything covered to make this a fantastic module. I mentioned to Martin that he should consider eventually replacing the survey mod with your mod with the current surveys included as templates.

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Andreas
First in german:
Andreas in der mod.html hat sich ein kleiner Fehler eingeschlichen. In Zeile 34 (bei meiner Editor) steht, was zu einem Ausgabefehler führt:
<td align=right valign=top><p><b><?php  print_string("publish_stats_on_students", "feedback") ?>:</b></p></td>

Change it to:
<td align=right valign=top><p><b><?php  print_string("feedback") ?>:</b></p></td>

Now in english
In the mod.html u must correct line 34 see up, i attach the file!

Bye Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Andy,
there isn't a bug. You only have to update the file lang/feedback.php. The file is in the feedback.zip package(feedback/lang/feedback.php).
Viele Grüße
Andreas

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Andreas

This was the first thing i have done, but i didn´t solve the print_error. Only (on my system) to modify the mod.hmtl brings me the solution. When i play back the modificated mod.html shows me the right description (Rückmeldung)! I have download the latest package from this thread. Anyway Andreas, your module is fantastic.

Best Wish
Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Andreas Grabs -
Ups errötenderrötend
i have forgotten it. Now it should be ok.
You only need to update the lang-file of the current download.
Andreas

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi again Andreas,

Do you have any plans to add an item type that would be similar to the type of questions that are in the survey mod?  For example, the items could be put into scales (like categories) for analysis, and the items are rated on a scale like, disagree, agree, etc.  This would be fantastic.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Chardelle,

i have some difficulties with the philosophy of the current survey-mod.
The questions i could realise with templates. But the special analysis i don't really understand. Perhaps it is possible to use the original analysis for this special kind of questions sets. So i could branch the analysis by using only this feedbacks.

If questions of old survey-templates -> jump to old survey-analysis
if other questions -> jump to standard analysis

What do you think?

Andreas

by Chardelle Busch -
Yes, the survey mod code is really funky--and based too much on the lang file.  If what you suggest is possible, that might work just fine.

What I was thinking is to have a new item type, a ranking, where you could give a ranking and a label to each radio button for each question you want to ask.  For example, never = 0, sometimes = 1, etc. (this is similar to a mutliple choice question in the quiz). Then it would be great if you could group questions into scales (categories) like the survey mod does.  Then those answers are summed (or averaged) for each scale for analysis.  This is basically what the survey mod does--the numerical answers (1,2,3,4,5) are listed individually in the Excel output, and then it gives a nice graphical representation of it online (but with no numbers)--so really, this analysis isn't as good as the feedback mod.  But you are right, this type of item would take an entirely different type of analysis that the feedback currently does.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Chardelle,

i think it is possible to create a new itemtype with ratings. Let me do an example:
Question: How are you?
Answers:
  1. super (5.0)
  2. good (4.0)
  3. solala (3.0)
  4. bad (2.0)
  5. as bad as possible (1.0)
(3 users do answer 2, 2 users do answer 3 and 4 users do answer 1)

Analysis:
Frage: How are you?
Answers (analysed): 4.22
Answers (detailed):
User1: 5
User2: 3
User3: 4
User4: 5
User5: 4
User6: 5
User7: 4
User8: 5
User9: 3

Would it be what you mean?
Andreas

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

i created the new rado item with rating. It is included into the current download.
feedback.zip

I would be happy if somebody would test it.

bye
Andreas

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
It works but this is not all.
This last release solves a problem "can't downgrade from xxx to yyy" that incurred before.
I'll test it deeply later on.
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Chardelle Busch -
Fantastic Andreas,

A couple of very minor things.

1.  The username is not being output to the Excel detailed report.

2.  If the average is 0, nothing shows up in the average field in analysis.php, however the 0 did show up in the Excel report.

Look for an email from me.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Chardelle,
on my installation usernames are shown in excel. Do you use non anonymous feedback?
The current download fixed the problem with an average of "0".
feedback.zip
I looked for an email but i didn't get anything. Perhaps i deleted it by mistake errötend.
Andreas

by Chardelle Busch -
Ohmigod duh.  Yes, I did have it set to anonymousclown.

I got distracted and didn't send it yet--I thought you'd have quit for the eveningwink.

by Josep M. Fontana -
This is an excellent addition, Andreas!

Now, I'm wondering whether it would be too difficult to add another rating element besides the one with radio buttons. See, I was thinking about an activity where my students have to rate different resources with points going from 1 to 10. Using the radio buttons this gets to be too cumbersome because you have to create 10 different labels for 10 different ratings (1 point, 2 points, 3 points, etc. ). If you have, as in my case, more than 5 different resources to rate, then the feedback form gets to be too long. What I had in mind was a little free text form entry next to the label where the user can introduce a number instead of clicking a radio button. This would save a lot of space since you would not have to create a label for every rating. This would allow you to create little surveys of the following type:

1. Rate the following items (1 to 10 points with 10 being "very satisfactory" and 1 being "very insatisfactory")

1.  [___] Item Y
2.  [___] Item X
2.  [___] Item Z

If that is not too difficult to implement, I think it would be a great improvement of this great little module you have created.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Josep,

what do you think about an item like checkboxrated? It would save space and would be easier to make for me.

Andreas

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Andreas,

I don't understand what you mean. What is checkboxrated?

Josep M.

by Andreas Grabs -
Sorry, I mean dropdown not checkbox.
Attachment dropdown.gif

by Josep M. Fontana -
Ah, ok. Yes, that would be a big improvement. It would certainly save a lot of space.

Josep M.

Multiple submit?

by Josep M. Fontana -
What is does the 'Multiple submit' option do?

Josep M.

Re: Multiple submit?

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Josep,
the option "Multiple submit" is meaning the feedback is repeatable by the students.
Sorry, I'm not so good in english errötend.
Andreas

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, that means that if they change their mind about a particular answer they can go back and change it, right?

Josep M.

by Jamie Pratt -
For a nonanonymous quiz this multiple submit means that a user can go back and take the feedback again. They won't be shown their old answers but their new answers will replace the old ones.

For anonymous mode it means they can do the poll infinite times and each time they do it will add to the overall pool of answers to be analysed.

Guests are only allowed to submit answers to an anonymous poll. If multiple submit is not on then only the first guest is allowed to submit an answer. IMO unless multiple submit is on then it would make more sense to not allow any guests to submit their answers. Their should be no difference between the first person who tries the activity as a guest and the next person.

In reply to Jamie Pratt

New en lang pack for feedback module - for your consideration

by Jamie Pratt -
Hi,

I attach a new en language pack for everyone's  consideration (particularly Andreas's smile  ) .

There were some mistakes in the English in the previous lang pack which I've corrected. I've also used different language all together in a lot of places. For example I've used 'questions' instead of 'items', 'responses' instead of 'values'. I tried to make the language a little more user freindly. Probably the result could be improved on some more.

I also suggest a change in edit.php at line 127 change :

echo '<option value="'.$fn.'">'.$fn."</option>\n";

to :

echo '<option value="'.$fn.'">'.get_string($fn,'feedback')."</option>\n";

So that the names of the question types as shown in the drop down box can be controlled in the lang packs. I added some strings to the attached lang pack to do this.

Jamie

In reply to Jamie Pratt

Re: New en lang pack for feedback module - for your consideration

by Jamie Pratt -
Here is an updated version of this lang pack. I renamed it en_utf8 to work on 1.6 (rename it en for older Moodle versions) and I added the latest strings needed for the rated item types.

By the way there is no need to move lang pack from moodleroot/mod/feedback/lang to moodleroot/lang/ as per installation instructions. Moodle looks for lang packs in the module directory also.

Jamie
In reply to Jamie Pratt

Re: New en lang pack for feedback module - for your consideration

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,
thank you for your lang-pack. I included it.
Bye Andreas
In reply to Jamie Pratt

New sk lang pack for feedback module

by Miroslav Fikar -
Included follows SK lang pack for the feedback module.

Also, the module did not work correctly with one moodle site. It is a rather problematic host, I suspect that the used version of PHP 5.0.4 is not particularly suitable. There, I keep getting errors concerning incorrect paths using require_once function and have to specify path more explicitly. With this module, several changes in feedback/lib.php were needed:
  • Line 4:
    require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/mod/feedback/action_lib.php');
  • Lines around 157:
    global $CFG;
    require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/mod/feedback/item/'.$name.'/lib.php');
Now it works both with standard instalations and with this special host.

Thanks for the module.

In reply to Miroslav Fikar

Re: New sk lang pack for feedback module

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Miroslav,
thank you. I have completed the lines you refered.
Your lang-pack I also have included. Thank you!
Andreas
In reply to Miroslav Fikar

Re: New sk lang pack for feedback module

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Miroslav,

I just had the same problem with quiz-modul showing the tabs on report.
A possible reason of this behavior could be the include_path setting in php.ini.
Check the value. There have to be a value like ".:/usr/share/php". The . means the current directory. So you can include relative pathes.

best regards
Andreas

In reply to Jamie Pratt

require_login mistake?

by Jamie Pratt -
I think where you've called require_login within an if block you may have made a mistake Andreas.

In complete.php and view.php you've got code like this :

if($feedback->anonymous != feedback_ANONYMOUS_YES) {
      require_login($course->id);
   }

It is standard for Moodle activities to not let a guest user into an activity at all if a course doesn't allow guest access. This code will let anyone view the activity whatever the course access settings when the feedback is set to anonymous. You correctly test to see if your user is a guest in complete.php with isguest(); I think require_login which will let in guests if the course settings allow it should be called unconditionally for all pages, this is different from the code needed to deal with guests at the activity level.

Jamie
In reply to Jamie Pratt

Re: require_login mistake?

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,
it isn't a mistake. On many sites, in my company too, are the global option "autologin guest" disabled. Nevertheless we want feedbacks on the start page of moodle. There the feedback should be useable without any login-procedure. Perhaps I should in addition to the anonymous-option create an other option in the feedback-configuration. So you could switch external access on/off.
What do you think?
Andreas

by Jamie Pratt -
Hi Andreas,

So you don't want users to be sent to the login page and have to press the log in as a guest button.

What about doing something like this :

if($feedback->anonymous == feedback_ANONYMOUS_YES) {
      $CFG->autologinguests=true;
   }

If it is just for the front page you want to allow this then you could use this code :

if($feedback->anonymous == feedback_ANONYMOUS_YES && $course->id==SITEID) {
      $CFG->autologinguests=true;
   }

But I guess it might not be desirable to log users in as guests as then they won't be asked later to log in when they enter a course which has guest access.

I think that there should definitely be a switch to enable this bypassing the login system and that it should be set to off by default.

I think the best option would be to take out the bypassing the log in system.

Jamie

I wrote all of the above but then found require_course_login which would seem to be the thing to use here. require_course_login requires log in as a guest or whatever for everything except the site front page, also it respects the force_login setting which should force login for viewing even the front page. So we could go for something like  :

} else {
      require_course_login($course);
    }

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Jamie Pratt -
Hi Andreas,

In the case that a feedback is non-anonymous and I'm logged in as a guest I can view the activity and have a link to complete the form but if I click on that then I get a message which just says 'error'. I think it is not too user friendly. Maybe in view.php we should have :

if($feedback_can_submit && (isstudent($course->id) || ( $feedback->anonymous == feedback_ANONYMOUS_YES))) {
            echo '<a href="complete.php?id='.$id.'">'.get_string('complete_the_form', 'feedback').'</a>';
         }elseif (!(isstudent($course->id) || ( $feedback->anonymous == feedback_ANONYMOUS_YES))){
            echo '<h2><font color="red">'.get_string('this_feedback_is_for_logged_in_users', 'feedback').'</font></h2>';
            print_continue($CFG->wwwroot.'/course/view.php?id='.$course->id);

} else {
            echo '<h2><font color="red">'.get_string('this_feedback_is_already_submitted', 'feedback').'</font></h2>';
         }

Instead of :

if($feedback_can_submit && (isstudent($course->id) || ( $feedback->anonymous == feedback_ANONYMOUS_YES))) {
            echo '<a href="complete.php?id='.$id.'">'.get_string('complete_the_form', 'feedback').'</a>';
         }else {
            echo '<h2><font color="red">'.get_string('this_feedback_is_already_submitted', 'feedback').'</font></h2>';
         }

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,
I think the current behavior is ok but you are right, the error-message could be more meaningful.
In my opinion it could be useful if the guest can see the first page of the feedback. There are no activity yet.
Andreas
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,
thanks a lot for your many suggestions. I have tested similar conditions before. It will not work with follow global settings:
Authentication->Guest login button:Hide
That's what we have.
autologinguests will not work
Andreas

by Jamie Pratt -
The advantage of :

} else {
      require_course_login($course);
    }

Is that it will let anyone into activities on the front page that are anonymous but will not allow people into activities inside courses and also importantly into any activity when forcelogin is on.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,
yea that it's.
I will include it at the next time.
Thank you for this good hint.
Andreas
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, this clarifies things. The problem I was having is that a student told me that she couldn't access the feedback. I noticed that she had answered a question already. I assume she had left before finishing the survey and then she wasn't allowed in again.

Josep M.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Josep,
the tracking of feedback submitts is only aktive if the feedback is sent. I assume your student had accidentally submitted the feedback by press the return-key on a textfield or so.
Andreas

by David Louis Puttick -
Hi Andreas

Thanks for your work on the feedback module. It is almost perfect for us to do student tutorials with.

The only problem is that as a tutor or an administrator we can't go in and add information to the students answers.

Is there any way this could be made possible?

Thanks

David

by Johann Briffa -
Andreas,
I am currently running version 2005100305 of your feedback module and absolutely love it - it is a handy way for gathering feedback from students about how the course is going. However, one thing I really need that isn't in my version (and I believe still isn't in the latest one either) is the ability to set start/end dates for student submissions. Any plans on doing that?
Thanks,
Johann
In reply to Johann Briffa

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Johann,
thank you for your kind words.
The feature you want is in my todo-list.
Andreas

Italian language pack and a question about groups

by Antonio Fini -
n attachment an Italian language pack.
Andreas, this module is really funtcional and easy to use!!
I have a question for you: are there any plans on groups management?
It would be very useful if we were able to separately view feedback results according to Moodle groups.
Thanks
Antonio

In reply to Antonio Fini

Re: Italian language pack and a question about groups

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Antonio,
thank you for the language-pack. I have included it into the current download.
Working with groups is already integrated but not really perfect. I will work on this.
Bye
Andreas

by Marion de Groot -

Hi Andreas,

I noticed that the feedback activity is not shown in the site logs correctly:

If I go to /course/log.php?id=1 ,  and I pick one of my courses (or my site), all participants, all days, all activities in the dropdowns, I can see every user that has viewed or submitted a feedback form: it says "feedback view" or "feedback submit" in the column "Action", and the name of the form in the column "Information". Only the actions of the students are shown, not the actions of the moderators

If I pick one of my courses (or my site), all participants, all days, a feedbackformtitle all I get are the feedback activities of the moderators ("feedback add", "feedback update"), not the students.

I am puzzled wide eyes 

regards, Marion

In reply to Marion de Groot

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Marion,
thank you for this information. I neglected the logging as yet. If I have a bit more time I will change this.
Andreas

by Peter Campbell -
I don't see how the gradebook can talk to the Feedback Module. So are you able to get Feedback Module surveys to show up in the Gradebook? If so, how?

Finally, I want to go into the gradebook and specify that a Feedback Module survey counts, but don't see any way of setting a "grade" for it. In other words, I want to give students credit for completing the survey. Possible?

Cheers,

Peter
In reply to Peter Campbell

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Peter,
there isn't any plan doing this.
Andreas

by Sean Owen -
Andreas-

I have been using your module since day 1 of its release. It is great. I do have a question though. Are there any plans on making it easier to re-order questions in a long feedback? In a perfect world a department would do this before drafting a feedback. However, it never seems to work that way in ours. Just trying, hoping, to find an easier way to re-order questions. Thanks.

Sean Owen
In reply to Sean Owen

by Johann Briffa -
Had to a similar problem recently, and to avoid the pain of step-by-step moving I edited the database entries directly. A direct move-to facility would be a very useful addition to an already convenient program...
In reply to Sean Owen

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Sean,
a easier way to reorder questions is already in my todo-list. With the current I'm not satisfied too.
Andreas

by Sean Owen -
I was hoping you would say that. I went ahead and edited the table directly from the dbase last night. I was just thinking of others in my unit who I would not want to allow db editing. Again... great module. We use it all the time for professional development session surveys. I like it over phpESP, which is a great tool but not as user friendly to beginner users. It helps me not become the only one that can create surveys in my dept.

by Cori Murphy -

Hi Andreas-

I agree with the crowd here - this is a great module. My college is using it for the cross-college questionnaire this year, and we expect hundreds of respondents. My question is: How can I export results which include textArea fields to Excel without the field type defaulting to 'general' and truncating at 255 characters?

Thanks!

In reply to Cori Murphy

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Cori,
currently there is no way. The limit of 255 charcters is given by the excel-library.
In the next time I will include csv-export into the feedback-module.
Andreas
In reply to Sean Owen

by N Hansen -
About reordering, another alternative would be to make adding new questions work like the book module, where you choose where to insert them from the outset. I really like this feature and wish it were available in more places in Moodle.

Re: Andreas' Feedback Module: deleting a question

by Marion de Groot -

Hi Andreas,

In one of my feedbacks, I had a question that was linked to an event on the first of May. So after that date, I had to delete this question, since it was out of date. So I did, but I did not expect all the answers to this question to be deleted also. Are they really lost or are the answers still in the database somewhere?

regards Marion

In reply to Marion de Groot

Re: Andreas' Feedback Module: deleting a question

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Marion,

if you delete a question all linked answers are deleted too.
If you don't have a backup the data are lost.
Before you can delete an object you have to confirm a message (look at the screenshot).

Andreas
Attachment confirmation.gif

by Jamie Pratt -
Thought I'd post here to say that the Feedback module activity is now fully accessible by Japanese mobile phones. As part of the Moodle For Mobiles project we've made a parrallel interface to the Feedback module so that students can either do the activity on their phones or on a normal browser. The idea is that the module can be used to collect real time feedback from students in large lecture classes and the results displayed on a projector screen for the whole class to see.

The Moodle for Mobiles code was used to collect feedback during the recent Japanese Association of Language Teachers Computer Aided Language Learning special interest group conference in Sapporo. You can see the site for the conference here http://ept3.sgu.ac.jp The site is also accessible through a phone that can display chtml (imode compatible phones).

Jamie

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Timothy Takemoto -

Jamie
Thank you!
I have mobilized my moodle at last.

Or it is getting that way.
Tim

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Timothy Takemoto -

I have a couple of questions about the feedback module.

Is the Feedback module Japanese language compatible? I seem to get a lot of question marks when I try to enter Japanese questions.

When I make an English language question in a poll and try to attempt it, I see the "Edit questions" link but not the questions itself even when I am in student view mode. Is the feedback module compatible with "Student view" mode in 1.6 or should I log out and log in as a student?

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Tim,

it seems the feedback works with japanese language. Have a look at Don Hinkelmans posting here.

The "Student view" currently works if you are only a teacher (thank you for this tip). I will fix it. So you can use the "Student view" as administrator too.

Andreas

by N Hansen -
Andreas-I upgraded to your latest version of feedback with 1.6 and now I can't create any new multiple choice single answer questions anymore, even though I created them in the old version. I get the following message when I try creating one:

Error occurred in feedback module action handling

In reply to N Hansen

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

sorry, I can't reproduce your failure. On what system do you work?

Andreas