Becta publish learning services framework agreement

Becta publish learning services framework agreement

by Miles Berry -
Number of replies: 13
The full text of the framework agreement is on the OJEU website, try here.

Key facts are that those wishing to tender need net worth in excess of £700,000, a Dun & Bradstreet minimum risk indicator of at least 3 (!?), and three years of audited accounts, although these criteria may be relaxed in the case of consortia of SMEs.

They'll also need to provide a history of major education sector contracts and successful learning platform implementations.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miles Berry

Re: Becta publish learning services framework agreement

by Andy Hawkins -

Sorry - link gave 404 error.

Is this the long awaited Becta guidance on learning platforms? or have I got this mixed up?

I am attending a conference later in march (by our RBC) on learning platforms, and was going to ask here if anyone knew whether the advice had been published yet and where. (too many government I(C)T websites, compounded by Becta having 2 versions etc)

TIA

Andy

In reply to Andy Hawkins

by Miles Berry -
The address is http://ted.publications.eu.int/official/ojs/tender/EN/2006043062.html
but the OJEU site seems to behave very strangely
I suggest that if the above doesn't work, go via extended search and either try Coventry in the place box or 2006-43062 as the document number. This document describes the process for suppliers wishing to tender for delivering learning platforms to LAs and RBCs; it makes mention of the specifications but doesn't give details.

The functional specification isn't finalised yet, but draft 2 was released for consultation until last Friday. There's a copy at http://www.moodleforge.org.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=205 (registration required). I've not heard anything about the technical specification.

At first glance, Moodle 1.6 and 2.0 will go a long way to meeting most, but not all, of the functional specification. I don't think it would be asking too much of RBCs or LAs to collaborate on the other bits of development needed to achieve conformance.

In reply to Miles Berry

by Andy Hawkins -

Thanks for prompt response.

Have skimmed the functional draft 2 - do not seem to be many major surprises so far but devil may be in detail. (also picked up the platform tender doc - OJEU still strange - pages rendered as code etc - surprisingly vague in places - presumably this is norm for government tenders)

Is there a  target date for final publishing of technical/functional specifications? Might make the RBC conference a little lame if they are not out by then - unless they stick to simple 'what is learning platform' and 'why is it important' for senior management.

Andy

PS Congrats on Becta Award

In reply to Andy Hawkins

by Miles Berry -
I've seen dates of 1/3/06 (!) for delivery of the specification (perhaps for public consultation?) and 27/3/06 for final delivery of the specification; I'd allow a week or so extra on these.
I imagine this is for the functional rather than technical specification, but I guess we should wait and see.
In reply to Miles Berry

by mandy honeyman -
Yesterday I went to the E2Bn roadshow to introduce learning platforms. E2Bn is the east of england broadband consortium who provide internet resources for schools. I felt a bit like a spy big grin

As you obviously know Becta is creating an accredited lists of suppliers for schools (and LAs/RBCs) - to be published in June (I think). The man from Becta I spoke to quietly was pretty clear, as you realise already from the conversation in this thread, that the only way moodle would make it onto the list would be if a moodle partner/commercial entity made it onto the list. What I'm not clear about is whether or not the list will be constantly reviewed and updated or whether the contracts, which last for 3 years, will exclude newcomers during those three years.

Becta have set up a practitioner stakeholder group (I'm not absolutely sure about the stop in the first part of the address so if this one fails, take out the dot and try again) and ask to join if you wish to.

The DfEs has published this email address for any questions about learning platforms. I got the very strong impression that the DfES have decided that schools are to be discouraged to make their own choices (they should use the LA's/RBC's choice instead) and specifically to make their own choice to use an open source product, "they must look at the total cost of ownership". This is reflected in the funding arrangements - quote "it is up to the individual schools whether they wish to turn their back on the funding and make their own choice". sad

cheers
Mandy

In reply to mandy honeyman

by Leon Cych -
The TES have given me a blog and this subject is the very first post up on that. I suspect quite a few commercial providers will want to co-opt Moodle to get at the table.

I would recommend that HUGTOB should be reconfigured to:

a) Alert schools and, in particular, senior management about the benefits of buying hosting and CPD as opposed to just a VLE with ongoing licence committments and charging for CPD on top of that.

b) Strategies to counter LA buy in or if it is a fait accomplis (as in the case where certain RBC have long standing commercial "agreements" with VLE providers) - ask questions about CPD where their money has been aggregated to make a spend on commercial providers and what value added over and above a commercial system will make to overall sustainability. If I were holding the purse strings for a LEA or RBC I would seriously ask myself that question.

There also needs to be a set of audio and video exemplars up of people who have used Moodle in the UK schools sector and a quick down and dirty toolkit for heads to get a grip on this subject.

Heads are all already reeling from initiative overload and for the DfES to do this is naughty, naughty, and in the light of the e-strategy document, I'm afraid they speak with forked tongue on this issue. Senior management will grab a solution if it "appears" to lighten their load in the short run but it is the sustainability issues that are of concern here. So a "pack" for senior management (and I mean 1 or 2 pages written in simple English) to come up to steam quickly and efficiently would be a godsend.

The problem is that BECTA looks at the whole spend in terms of commercial parameters and doesn't see the costs go on services and CPD in the Open Source model - they have to issue an OJEU under the parameters they have set - and they have buried their head in the sand over Open Source. In fact the Open Source model is more sustainable and this is what needs to stressed again and again to senior management. Do you want to buy something that you will have to pay out for year on year for licencing and CPD costs extra or do you want a system where you can put a top quality professional development structure in for the allied costs.

So first - heads need to know what a VLE is (and the spec for the parameters hasn't even been released yet!) because most of them do not have a clue in the schools sector and secondly an exemplar site of how to spend the money and what the benefits are in the long run strategically need to be pointed out.

I think this whole policy is totally shortsighted and selling our children short in the schools sector. People just haven't thought this one through and I am fuming really.

Personally I see no issue with commercial service providers bundling Moodle if that is the only way it will get into schools. At least people will get to see the model and it would be a way of mainstreaming it. But the same issues arise.

by Miles Berry -
Hi Mandy,

I think we look towards two or three approaches to seeing Moodle continue in maintained schools post 2008.

I'm hopeful that by v2.0, Moodle will meet most of Becta's functional requirements (the latest draft is at http://www.moodleforge.org.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=212 - registration required), and that there'll be some commercial suppliers interested in using it as their LP of choice for the framework agreement, and thus funding the development of any requirements that aren't covered. Afterall there are commercial advantages for them in doing so.

I'm still not clear if an LA can use its LP funding for Moodle hosting, development, training and content; I believe that EU competition rules suggest that they can opt out of framework agreements as long as they can demonstrate that the minimum functionality is met and they obtain better vfm, but I'd be grateful if someone could clarify this.

Funding to schools for LPs will not be hypthocated, and schools can therefore choose not to buy-in to the LA/RBC provided solutions - and if we can get the message across about how much better Moodle is, as Leon suggests, then I think there would be significant numbers choosing to opt out. I believe that there are people in the DfES who are worried about this. Of course, even if they do go with the LA/RBC solution, there's nothing to stop them setting up a Moodle box as well. Furthermore, increased autonomy for schools is fairly central to the Schools White Paper. It's possible to perceive some tension here between the IT bits of the DfES and the rest of the department/government.

Building Schools for the Future impacts on this as well - under BSF, IT infrastructure is provided through a managed service, which will be constrained by the functional specification, and I guess by the framework agreement.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Andy Hawkins -

Hello Miles

'Funding to schools for LPs will not be hypthocated, and schools can therefore choose not to buy-in to the LA/RBC provided solutions'

Do you have a reference for this? It may be useful to quote at our forthcoming RBC learning platform conference. (along with Leon's comments and some others from previous discussions)

Andy

In reply to Andy Hawkins

by mandy honeyman -
Hi Andy,
I can't give you a reference but the DfES spokeswoman (Chris Stalberg) said, at the E2Bn show  when talking about this that...  "schools can choose to turn their back on the funding".

I understood that the specific "personalised learning" funding is actually going to LA's and RBCs - only, schools will have to find their own money (which is now in school's Building Fund) if they wish to make their own choice. Therefore, for moodle, the very best solution would be for LAs and RBCs to choose it. LAs and RBC's can of course, offer more than one solution to their patch!

cheers
Mandy

by Andy Hawkins -

Some interesting artciles in this week's TES Online (ICT supplement) - including  a page on Miles with appropriate plug for Moodle smile. (I think it is print only, but this is link, and there is link from there to Leon's blog)

Also on another RBC who want Moodle, but where some schools already use Uniservity and want the choice, rather than a new 'untried' system. Pity Moodle may be on wrong side for some of them - but the important point is that the schools should get a choice as they know what is best for their students - not made for them by RBC/LA/Govt - and ideally that they can claim their share of the money. (we don't get BSF money for a few years yet - and there is likely a general election in between)

Good to see Moodle on the media radar. 

I look forward to viewpoint of our RBC (SEGfL) later in March.

Andy

In reply to Miles Berry

by Colin McQueen -
A draft of the technical specification has now been published along with the final (non-draft) version of the functional requirements. Becta are moving their Technical Subgroup's discussion on to MIS functional requirements now with a view towards full MLE's being available in 2010 I suspect.

See http://www.oodles.org.uk/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=15 and
http://www.oodles.org.uk/moodle/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=14

for news postings I put up on an area for LP information I manage. I have the two documents attached to these postings.

There's also a new matrix for schools to use to assess their "readiness" for learning platforms on the NCSL and Becta Matrix site.

In reply to Colin McQueen

by Miles Berry -
Following Leicestershire's possible misrepresentation of the DfES's position on learning platforms, a clarification statement has been issued to the industry via the Technical Subgroup site, they explain that:
"the mandatory and recommended functionalities that industry providers must be able to deliver to be included in the framework agreement do not also serve as a list of functions that schools, procuring from the framework, must purchase in entirety. Schools may choose any combination of functionalities from the mandatory and/or recommended lists to suit their needs. They might even choose functionalities not currently listed"

Which goes a long, long way to address my and others' concern that the voice from the classroom hadn't been listened to. Of course it could be no other way, as most of the funding for this is to be devolved down to school level through devolved funding capital and revenue funding, and won't be hypothecated. As the Becta requirements and specifications are not statutory, schools could disregard these if they wanted, as the DfES acknowledge elsewhere in their statement. In summary:

"On the basis of how best to develop learner-centric teaching, schools need to be thinking about, planning and deciding whether or not and how best to use ICT to support their vision and aims."