Courses Disappeared - But Still in MYSQL

Courses Disappeared - But Still in MYSQL

by Robert Maynord -
Number of replies: 3
Moodle Folks:

We have been using Moodle at our school for over two years.  Recently, after a power outage, I had to reset the hostname and domain name on our server (Debian-Linux).  Everything (Postfix, Apache, Drupal, NIS, NFS) is back to normal, except for Moodle.  Moodle loads and displays, and lists the course categories - but not the courses.  The users and teachers are also available (and my photo).  It even lists the correct number of courses for each category - but not the courses.  I can successfully create a new course, but its name never appears!

I looked in MYSQL and all the data is there, and the username and permissions are unchanged. I have not found any error messages in syslog. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? How do I find out where the error is when Moodle works, but fails to "see" any courses in MYSQL?  Moodle hostname or domainname?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...

Robert Maynord
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Maynord

Re: Courses Disappeared - But Still in MYSQL

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Robert,

perhaps you need to check and repair tables of your Moodle DB?

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Robert Maynord -
Excellent idea!

I went to MYSQL and repaired some broken tables.  I thought for sure that was the problem.  However, still no luck.  I'm thinking about doing a full restore of the server on a different machine and copying the Moodle database to the server. 

Robert

In reply to Robert Maynord

by Stuart Mealor -

I just encountered exactly the same problem

In my case there was corruption in mdl_course_categories

Using webmin / mysqladmin I repaired the table, rebooted the server and it worked OK

- I guess if you have checked the tables and they are this can't be your problem?

- I did some reading to solve this problem and noticed an interesting posting from Sean about space - so check your tmp isn't full as well as this might cause similar symptoms

Stuart