Importing images into a Quiz...

Importing images into a Quiz...

by . madea -
Number of replies: 8
I am trying to import images into Quizzes and see no way to accomplish this.  On the Editing a Mulitple Choice Question there's a heading on the left just under the Question box that states: Image to display and then a comment afterwards that states: No images have been uploaded to your course yet 

Well, how do you upload an image into the Quiz so it can be displayed in a Quiz?  I have no problem uploading resources and activities.  I just can't find the mechanism that allows me to import an image into a Quiz.

Anyone have a suggestion?  There's got to be some way and I must be overlooking something.  I can't find this information in the Moodle Help and I've tried using Google to no avail.

madea
madea@mmsi.com
Average of ratings: -
In reply to . madea

Re: Importing images into a Quiz...

by Miguel Reyes -
you must upload  all your images one by one to your course/section then you can select from the drop down list to place them into each and every single question in your test, (files Section), you must upload the files (pictures videos etc.) to every single course, unless you copy the exact location of the image (e.g. ) and then paste it onto your quiz.

Miguel
In reply to Miguel Reyes

by . madea -

Miguel...

thank you for your prompt feedback.  Since I posted, I found another way to both insert ANd upload an image into a quiz question.  When you click the Insert Image icon on the tool bar for the question, you are prompted to find and upload the image PLUS the image is pasted into the question at the location of your cursor.

Thanks!
madea

Attachment insertImage.jpg
In reply to . madea

by Miguel Reyes -
I'm thinking that there has to be a better way to import "several" pictures or documents at the same time, due to the time consuming doing this for every question and every quiz... looking forward to 1.6 and see if they solve the problem.

Miguel

PS: good luck moodling smile
In reply to Miguel Reyes

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers
Miguel

I'm thinking that there has to be a better way to import "several" pictures or documents at the same time, due to the time consuming doing this for every question and every quiz

It is already possible to upload several pictures or documents at the same time.

All you need to do is to package all your files into a single zip file, then upload that zip file to your course 'Files' folder. Once there, you will see the word 'Unzip' to the right of the zip file, in the Action column (see image below). Click on the word 'Unzip', and then all the items you uploaded within the zip file will be available to you when making quizzes, or any other task.

Attachment unzip.jpg
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Peter and Miguel,

At the moment the only possibility to upload a number of files to the "My Files" directory in one course is that you describe, i.e. zip and unzip.

When one has many files which often need to be updated, this is a cumbersome way of doing things. It used to be like that in WebCT which we used at my institution years ago. However, recently, just before we made the move to Moodle, it became possible to use the excellent WebDav system in WebCT. With this system, uploading files from your local computer to the distant server works much like FTP transfer, or like Windows Explorer: just drag and drop the files, group of files, directories, etc. Plus, if you use Dreamweaver, WebDav allows you to synchronize files between your local computer and the distant size in a totally transparent and friendly-user way. It's great.

So I am getting more and more frustratedangry that such a user-friendly system as WebDav is still not implemented in Moodle and that I have daily to resort to such old-fashioned procedures as the zip / unzip one. I fail to understand why a decent file-transfer system is still not considered a priority among Moodle programers... but things may change if more users voice their dissatisfaction.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Timothy Takemoto -

> but things may change if more users voice their dissatisfaction.
Or if they pay smile !

By the way squarespace blog tool (free trial) has a very nice active X control thing which allows one to drag and drop files to the site. I spend a couple of hours trying to find an open source equivalent and failed.

This kind of "drag-and-drop-to-site" feature was the big sell of ".campus". It was possible to drag and drop power point files directly onto their site, and these would be automatically integrated with the CMS. If the power-point-to-lesson-plug-in had drag and drop, then a million computer-phobic teaching staff might take more interest. It would be even better if it converted to flash too.

Happy Christmas,
Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

> but things may change if more users voice their dissatisfaction.

>> Or if they pay

Hi Timothy,

It seems strange to me that every time one asks for changes or new features in a free, open source platform, the answer is "you have to pay".

I quite understand that there is not such thing as a free lunch and someone has to pay, somehow, in the end. The down-to-earth question is WHO is going to pay? Not me personally, obviously: I see no reason why I should pay out of my own pocket for a CMS feature on a platform I use for my teaching, not any more than I would contribute to the building or maintenance of the theatres, language labs, libraries, etc. which I use.

Our university (like many other institutions) has switched from WebCT to Moodle to save money, not to spend more, so there is no money and hardly any development time available for adding features to our Moodle installation. Anyway, we are probably only a couple of users (in my institution) using the platform who wish special features added to it. We do not have enough "power" to have money available for "special" developments.

This is why the only way I can see to make Moodle move forward towards greater user-friendliness and usability is through voicing my dissatisfaction, and trying to get other Moodlers who share my point of view to join my requests.

Oh, and I should make it clear that I do not support my university's way of seeing the switch from a costly platform to a "free" one as just a way to save money. Obviously they should put a substantial part of those savings into development. But, again, as an ordinary teacher, I have no power at all in the institution.

Have a nice day,

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Joseph

(Ach. I find that sometimes my posts are lost part the way through when writing them. This time I wrote quite a bit then I turned the wheel of my mouse while the shift button was depressed and found that i lost my post. )

I am going to have to be much more brief this second time around.

Please allow me to point out that i said "or," because, I don't think that we always need to pay. This is a fact. It is clear that
1) Many people have affected changes that I need without my paying.
2) I get a lot of Moodle functionality having paid very little.
3) A few people may be using the tiny hacks that I have made.
4) Some peope may have benefitted from the help that we have given.
And we have not been paid.

Secondly, and this is also a minor point, one can voice ones desire as (1) on the one hand as a 'dissatisfaction' and (2) on the other as simply a 'desire'. Lacanianly, and perhaps syntacticallly speaking, 'desire' and 'dissatisfactio'n may be the same thing. I am not sure.

But perhaps it may be better to attempt to affect change via the expression of a shared desire rather than a share dissatisfaction?

I agree strongly however, that we (you, I, users in general and I believe moodle in general) need a way to allow users to express their desire.

At the same time, I think that a balance needs to be reached. Has it been reached already?

At the moment the official vector for the expression of desire/dissatisfaction is the bug tracker, combined with the forums. One can post a wish/idea/feature request/serious issue/critical issue on the bug tracker and then ask people here to vote on it. But whereas on the one had Moodle ensures that everyone is subscribed to the forums, it is impossible to subscribe to the bugtracker per se. That means perhaps that there is more galvanisation of moodle praise than that there is galvanisation of dissatisfaction. But I am not sure if this is a bad thing. The end result of this technological imbalance in the ease of communication of positivity and negativity, may have resulted in the good community that we experience here.

Perhaps humans are all too keen to express their dissatisfaction, so a composite medium of communication which facilitates the expression of gratitude and does not facilitate the expresion of dissatisfaction, serves to balance the human tendency to gripe too much? I think that the bug tracker serves that end.

The analogy between moodle and a library or theatre is interesting but generally libraries and theatres are funded by taxes and fees. I am not aware of a corresponding fee or tax in the moodle case. 

But anyway, thanks for the interesting post.

Tim