Entire Calendar off by a day when not logged in.

Entire Calendar off by a day when not logged in.

by Dallas Ray Smetter -
Number of replies: 28
I just put a ton of dates in as site events. While I, or any other user is logged in the dates appear as they were intended. As soon as one logs out, each event is a day early! This is a bit urgent. I would hate to have to take all of those events back out. Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dallas Ray Smetter

Re: Entire Calendar off by a day when not logged in.

by Jeff Wood -
Hi Dallas,

I have a similar problem with the calendar being off by an hour when not logged in.

E.g. I've set the time as 7 am but site shows 6 am when not logged in.

Something strange going on heremixed

PS - have you set times or left everything at the default of 0000?

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Dallas Ray Smetter -
Some of them have times, and some do not. But I think you have started me in the right direction. I am going to go check. Thanks for the idea!

I have some irritated users for the time being... black eye

by Jeff Wood -
Any luck Dallas?

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Dallas Ray Smetter -
No, and it's becoming quite frustrating. I wish there were  better support for little problems like these. I am having trouble convincing our district to convert to Moodle and this just makes it more difficult. Thinking about giving up and embracing my current WebCT server.

by Jeff Wood -
Don't give up on moodle sad

The program and support are good... it is important to remember that most people are volunteers and do this (programming, etc...) in the spare time.

It can be frustrating at times not to have an instant fix... but keep in mind the software cost you nothing!

I have just submitted a bug report about the calendar. We'll see what happens.

J
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Dallas Ray Smetter -

Thanks a bunch...

Actually, our interest in Moodle has very little to do with price... and almost everything to do with ease of use.

Let's pray to the programming gods that a fix comes soon!

Have a great weekend.

drs

by John Papaioannou -
If this is the same bug as the other one mentioned in this thread, maybe changing the event times from 00:00 to 01:00 would provide a quick fix for the time being. Have you tried this?

On the support matter, this would be fixed on the spot if only I were at home. I 'm out for the weekend though. Bad timing. mixed

by Gustav W Delius -
What have you chosen for 'timezone' under Administration -> Configuration -> Variables?
And what have you chosen as the timezone in your profile settings?
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Jeff Wood -
Hi Gustav,

I have a similar problem

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=29482

My settings are:

admin - config - variables - timezones - america/toronto

admin - config - calendar - timezones - america/toronto

Any ideas?

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What is the timezone on your own user account?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Gustav W Delius -
For me the phenomenon happens when I force all users to use the same timezone (via the calendar settings page). There is a description of this in bug 3981.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Jeff Wood -
I just tried allowing users to select their own timezone, and the problem is still there, until they actually login then it displays correctly.

It seems when a user is NOT logged in is when the problem occurs.
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Jeff Wood -
Also just noticed that (sometimes) when the times are displayed they are indication 1h 1min early.

E.g. Time was set for 8:20 am but are being displayed as 7:19 am.

Also noticed that the problem (hour early), isn't a problem for events after the daylight savings switch (Dec & Jan), but the minute early is still there.

Jeff
In reply to Jeff Wood

by Dallas Ray Smetter -

Right on. I set a couple of events to 01:05 instead of the default 00:00 and then they show up correctly.

In the meantime, can anyone help me with a query to run on my db?? Something to the effect of

update mdl_events set starttime=0105 where starttime=0000

Obviously I am not too familiar with the field names/data types for the events table... wink

by L H -

Quick and dirty using moodle's get_records and update_record 

$events = get_records("event", "timestart", "0000");

if ($events){
       foreach ($events as $anevent){
       $anevent->timestart =  0105;
       $timefix = update_record('event', $anevent);

if ($timefix){
           //report success
        } else {
           //report failure
        } 
     }
 }

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Dallas Ray Smetter -
I just tried this particular procedure too, Jeff, and had the same results.

by Jeff Wood -
My system (home marchine) is set to Eastern Time (US & Canada) - of which Toronto belongs.

Jeff

by Dallas Ray Smetter -

Hi M

I have forced everyone to use America/Chicago. I flipped it to test, and the result was the same.

BTW, do you sell "per-incident" support tickets on Moodle.com?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I charge my usual hourly consulting rates for personal support done that way. If something is really urgent or fiddly that is always an option so keep it in mind. Some of my Moodle Partners also offer similar support.

Regrettably, I don't have time to personally help everybody for free like I used to.  I don't even have time to accept all the paid support people ask me for.  sad  I'm sure all of you would prefer me to focus on leading Moodle development instead, and I'm currently very busy trying to get a cash flow happening that will allow me to do this more and more.

Thankfully the community has stepped up to the support challenge rather well - thanks to everyone who helps around here, especially these people! approve

Special thanks to PJ for fixing this bug! approve

FIXED: Entire Calendar off by a day when not logged in.

by John Papaioannou -
Now fixed in 1.5.x and 1.6 development, please upgrade to the latest stable version to get the fix. If someone does not want to upgrade but feel they can patch their Moodle themselves, you can do

cvs diff -r 1.607 -r 1.608 lib/moodlelib.php

to see what changes were involved. I am not providing patching instructions because this is easy to mess up unless you are comfortable with PHP.
In reply to John Papaioannou

Re: FIXED: Entire Calendar off by a day when not logged in.

by Jeff Wood -
Hi Jon,

Tnx for your hard work.

I just downloaded and uploaded the latest
Moodle 1.5.2 + (2005060222) and nothing happened... same problem.  Usually after an update the database gets updated... nothing...

I don't see mention in the http://download.moodle.org/stable15/CHANGES file...

Maybe the file isn't available yet? It says
Last build: 8 hours 35 mins ago.

In reply to Jeff Wood

by John Papaioannou -
Most likely... I don't know how the downloads are packaged, but normally it takes several hours for new code to make it to the public code repository (presumably that's what the download packages are built from) and then of course you have to wait for the next package to be built. All this could take slightly more than a day if the timing is bad. The other option is to use CVS directly.

You wouldn't see mention of this in the CHANGES file anyway, because AFAIK it is updated only before releases.

To make sure that you have the fix, open lib/moodlelib.php with an editor and check the first line. It should say version 1.608 if you are using 1.6, or version 1.565.2.31 if you are using 1.5.x.

by Dallas Ray Smetter -

I too did the upgrade but haven't seen any changes. The problem still exists in my particular instance of Moodle. I just overwrote all scripts. Perhaps I need to clean out all of the old scripts and do a complete upgrade?

Thanks for everything!

by John Papaioannou -
No, the only changes for this fix are in the core Moodle library which exists since time immemorial. A simple overwrite is enough, but have you obtained the fixed version? Check your version number in moodlelib.php with what I mentioned above.

by Jeff Wood -
Jon... your on fire today cool Super response guy!

My version is v 1.565.2.30 2005/08/26

I'll try getting it later from moodle.org... as I have not figured out this CVS stuff yet shy

Jeff