How do I enable DST?

How do I enable DST?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Number of replies: 7
I tried searching all the admin and the config options, but couldn't find anything like "Enable Daylight Savings Time support". I updated the list of timezones and selected the timezone to be "Europe/Helsinki".

Maybe it is now on, I'm not sure. Why I'm not sure is, that when I put a repeating event in the calendar, the time has an offset of one hour after the DST "line", indicating that Moodle is not calculating the time correctly according to the DST here in Finland. (?) Using 1.5.2+
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Re: How do I enable DST?

by John Papaioannou -
This is a known (well, to me at least wink) bug, simply put the code that creates repeats (/calendar/event.php line 220) hasn't been updated since we added the DST capability to take advantage.

You mean that if all the repeats fall in "DST on" or "DST off", everything is fine, right? The wrong offset only happens if the DST line is in the middle of the repeats.
In reply to John Papaioannou

by John Papaioannou -
Update:

It's now fixed in 1.5.x and 1.6 dev. Thanks for the reminder and the nudge Samuli. smile
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

How does Moodle support DST? Let's take the example of DST in France.

• Winter time ("normal time" to mewink) in France is GMT+1.
  • Summer time (DST ) in France is GMT+2.

When I have repeated events over a period astride summer time and winter time (typically events repeated weekly over october-november), the following situations obtain:

• Admin settings timezone = Server's local time -> times are shifted in my calendar: no good
  • Admin settings timezone = GMT+1 -> times are OK
What I'd like to know is this: when summer time (DST) comes back in March 2007, should we change Admin settings timezone to GMT+2 or will this be taken care of automatically by Moodle???
Thanks

Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -
The best thing to do is to 'Update complete list of timezones...' in the calendar menu (configuration) and to chose the Europe/Paris timezone. This should work.
In reply to Jean-Pierre Pawlak

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Jean-Pierre,
Are you positive that setting the Europe/Paris timezone once for all will take care of the DST problem?
Joseph

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -
Don't forget to set the timezone in the variables menu (configuration) to Europe/Paris...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you use the "named" timezones (eg Europe/Paris) then yes, everything should "just work". If you use the "hardcoded" timezones (eg GMT+1) then DST is not taken into account (of course).