Compatibility problem with PHP

Compatibility problem with PHP

by Gerardo Pérez Duarte Marcoux -
Number of replies: 7

Since my hosting provideer upgrade PHP to 4.3.11 I have been having may problems with Moodle.

I got a "Object expected" error in all pages. The WYSIWSG edit is not working, and I'm getting some weird behaviours in some pages.

The FluxServices Support Staff said: "That is a Moodle problem, you have to contact Moodle Developers"

Is this a reasonable response from a company that claims to be a moodle hosting?

I don't know where to get help. I don´t know if this is a PHP problem or a Moodle problem.

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerardo Pérez Duarte Marcoux

Re: Compatibility problem with PHP

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I doubt it's a Moodle problem. Moodle is running fine on PHP 4.3.11 for me.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Richard Page -
What is the purpose of the following setting?
session.bug_compat_warn = 0

My host has it set to ON (1) and refuses to change it. They claim it is
not necessary for it to be set off.

Thank you

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Thank you Martin.

The problem has been solved.

The hosting providder said:

Hello Gerardo,

After some digging through the log files I believe I have found the issue.

"Access denied with code 406. Pattern match "/lib/" at THE_REQUEST."

mod_security is picking up the use of /lib/ and filtering it out as /lib/ off the root of the server is used in many remote attacks.

I have modified the filter which should allow for the usage of /lib/ outside the root for scripts which directories entitled lib such as Moodle.

Give it a shot now.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That is good support from your hosting provider, not many would have gone to that much trouble.
In reply to Marcus Green

They were refusing to solve the problem until I told them that I contacted Moodle's Developer Leader (Martin Douigramas) and he told me "Moodle is running fine on PHP 4.3.11 for me."

Then they accepted it was a hosting service problem.

I was sending many support tickets until they found the problem.

I'm happy now.sonrisa

by Eliecer Acevedo Patiño -

It´s a php issue, on my local server 4.3.10 works pretty well but my hosting got 4.3.11 and it doesn´t show up images on SCORM courses.

Am hitting my head with my desk for been unable to solve this on my hosting company, they said as well all their services and running fine, and so far they´re not planning in upgrades.

Maybe something needs to be modified on php core, or some other config part.

Greetings