HELP PLEASE!!!!! WEBCT Question Import Problems!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!!! WEBCT Question Import Problems!!!

by Ricky Schumaker -
Number of replies: 10
I have been having a problem with importing quiz questions from WebCT format.

I have a file of multiple choice questions that I have exported from WebCT and am trying to import into a Moodle quiz database (recently updated to version 1.5). I select the "WebCt format" in the question import page and upload the WebCT text file.

When I try to import the file, only the first question text is imported and then the error "Could not insert quiz answer!" is given.

A post that I found that is similar, but with the Aiken format is at: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=23797#112281
(Same screen shot just with WebCt instead of Aiken)

I have also attached the file that I am attempting to upload.
ANY help that you could give me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. This is VERY important!!  Thank you for your time.

Ricky Schumaker
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ricky Schumaker

Re: HELP PLEASE!!!!! WEBCT Question Import Problems!!!

by Bruce Landon -
Hi Ricky,
I have attached a little javascript converter form that you may find helpful.  It seemed to be able to convert your webct file into moodle.xml format.  If you past your file in the left box click the >>> button and then copy past the output to an editor and save it as yourname.xml then you can likely upload it into moodel 1.5

If there is a problem let me know as some verisons of 1.5 have extra xml fields and I may need to update the makexwebct2moodlexml.htm that I am sending you.

Cheers
Bruce

In reply to Bruce Landon

by Rich Schumaker -
Looks like there is still some issue with the conversion. I have attached a screenshot of the error message that I get when I try to convert the WebCT quiz.
Attachment ScreenshotError.jpg

by Dave Habben -
I've opened a bug on the same issue:  bug 3755

It looks like the importer was broken in the transition from 1.4.5 -> 1.5.

(Edited by Martin Dougiamas - Monday, 18 July 2005, 09:37 PM)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes - the problem is confirmed. It's actually because webct format does not have any possibility of answer feedback. The new underlying quiz code expects this feedback data even if it is empty. I will make the necessary changes this morning (hopefully).

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have fixed the problem (in STABLE and HEAD CVS). Your attached file now loads correctly for me.

If it makes it easier, I have attached the new version of format.php, which you can load (replacing the original) in

mod/quiz/format/webct
In reply to Howard Miller

by Dave Habben -
Thanks Howard, that fixed the problem.

Is it also possible to fix this bug? It was present in version 1.4 also:

7 warning(s) detected
  • Answer too long after line 601 (255 char. max)
  • Answer too long after line 1024 (255 char. max)
Attached are the two questions that have answers that appear to be too long.
In reply to Dave Habben

by Howard Miller -
Interestingly, the import code specifically checks for and truncates long fields. I wonder why that was done. I'll need to check the database specification, but I don't think there is a 255 character restriction on answers.

I'll have a look and get back to you asap!!
In reply to Dave Habben

by Howard Miller -
Try this... also in CVS. The notices should be fixed too (probably only if you had debug on)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Ricky Schumaker -
Howard,

I just swapped out the files and they worked great. This has been a life saver for us. I really appreciate your work and your quick reply. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Ricky

by Mark Tyers -
Being really clueless now but...

I have used your converter makexwebct2moodle.htm and now have the output saved as 'quiz1.xml'

how do I import this xml file into Moodle so that it creates the quiz and how do I deal with any images associated with a quiz?

thanks.

ps. what are the Answer key codes for?