Students having trouble uploading files

Students having trouble uploading files

by Richard Page -
Number of replies: 5

Several students have reported that they cannot upload files for an assignment.  They go through the process OK, select the file and it shows up in the moodle box correctly, then push upload.  The response is "File Not Found"

These same students can do everything else including attach files to forum posts.

I have seen this with Internet Explorer once, and fixed it by restarting explorer.

I believe that the affected students are running windows XP and some flavor of IE. For them, restarting IE does not fix the problem.

Any suggestions on where to look to solve this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Page

Re: Students having trouble uploading files

by Richard Page -

I have narrowed the problem down to students are having trouble uploading microsoft word documents.  They receive the error "File not found - are you sure you selected one?"  They can upload other text documents.

I have discovered that when word documents won't display (known bug) the microsoft word application is generally running.  Closing microsoft word has always fixed the display problem.  I'm wondering if  word documents cannot be uploaded while the word application is running.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

This is particularly curuious since other students have no problem uploading word documents.

In reply to Richard Page

by Kam Vento -
They may be trying to upload the same doc they have open in word. Try closing the open doc and see if upload works.
In reply to Kam Vento

by Richard Page -

That was my suspicion initially.  But it still doesn't work when word is closed.  However, if  I use word to save the file in another format (rtf for example) then I can upload the file.  I logged in as one of my students and confirmed the problem. I have no problem uploading word documents to the instructor file area as the teacher, so it seems to affect only assignment submission. 

This gets stranger by the minute. At least I am getting uniform complaints about the upload and it only affects microsoft word documents saved in microsoft word format.

In reply to Richard Page

by Sean Collins -
I am having a similar issue. Some students upload flawlessly while others hit the upload button and get the successful upload screen, only to find that when they return to the Assignment page it says that no assignment has been posted yet. Then they retry a few times and each time a new file is uploaded and still no acknowledgement.

help?
In reply to Richard Page

by Lev Abramov -

I have another problem with upload:

when creating an assignment resource, we get an opportunity to choose from Offline Activity and Upload a Single File; the latter used to cause a set of buttons to appear (Browse and Upload). I say "used to" because today I suddenly discovered it is so no more: selecting "Upload a single file" option does not cause this set to appear anymore.

Furthermore: the older assignments which definitely had the upload button have lost it too.

The only setup change that has been made lately is the addition of the hack that would change the way points are allocated for quiz questions, a few days ago. (mod/quiz/lib.php, I think)

Any suggestions? Help will be appreciated!

Lev