Suspend a Cohort Sync user

Suspend a Cohort Sync user

by Yang Yang -
Number of replies: 9

Hi all,

I am trying to suspend a user from a course. I could change enrolment status as suspended for manually enrolled users. However, I was not able to find a way to change enrolment status for users who were enrolled via Cohort Sync. Is there a way to suspend a user without deleting the user from Cohort?

Thanks

Yang

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yang Yang

Re: Suspend a Cohort Sync user

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Yang,

One thing you could try is removing the role of student from the user in Settings > Course administration > Users > Enrolled users.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Yang Yang -

Hi Helen

Thank you very much for your quick reply. That is a good suggestion, but unfortunetly I could not remove roles from Cohort Sync students. There is no cross sign after the role of Cohort Sync students and I could only change their roles but not delete roles. Guess I could create a new role as "suspended student" and assign it to students, but this is not an ideal solution to me.

Regards,

Yang

In reply to Helen Foster

by Yang Yang -

It seems like this issue (MDL-30944) is fixed in 2.3 and it now allows optional suspending of enrolments instead of full unenrol. I am currently using Moodle 2.2, is there a way I could get this work without upgrading to 2.3?

In reply to Yang Yang

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Yang,

Thanks for your feedback and for pointing out the tracker issue about the problem. You'll notice I added a comment to it asking whether the fix could be backported to 2.2.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Yang Yang -

Thanks Helen. It seems like it is not going to be supported by 2.2 mixed

In reply to Yang Yang

by Eric Johnson -

Does anyone know how to suspend a user enrolled via cohort sync, and hide them from the gradebook?  All users are still visible in the gradebook even after I update the gradebook settings

In reply to Eric Johnson

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Eric,

For non-cohort sync, these are the steps (maybe you can apply this to your situation):

1 -- suspend the user from the 'course' level

2 -- Go to your gradebook

3 -- click on My Preferences

4-- at the bottom of the "General" section (you may have to expand it by clicking 'show more') you will see "Show only active Enrollments" -- make sure that is set to "YES"
In reply to John Provasnik

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Also, this may be a long way (and remove your student data though) but in (2.6), but you can go to your course, then

-Users - Enrollment Methods- Manual Enrollments

Find the cohort sync, and click on the X to delete it.

Then Enrol the chohort manually, so all the users appear with action icons next to their names and you'll be able to suspend the individual.

Cohort Sync is great if the people in the group will be changing often. Otherwise, I like to stick with manually enrolling a cohort.

In reply to Yang Yang

by Bret Bourman -

Hello Yang,

Changing Cohort/Sync Student to a Manual enrollment for Suspension using 2.2:

1. Do Not remove the User from the existing Cohort.

2. First, manually enroll the User as an individual User  into ALL of the Courses in which her/his site-wide Cohort is currently sync'ed. You can manually enroll the existing User through each of the respective Courses (Course Administration> Users> Enrolled users). You'll notice that the Enrolled User's line within the Course will now display Manual enrollments in addition to the Cohort sync status.

3. Then, and only then, can you remove the User from the old Cohort without effecting that User's accumulated data that had been stored when the User was a part of the old, site-wide Cohort. Again, do this only after manually enrolling the User into All of the Courses in which the original Cohort sync was enrolled.

4. Notice that, within the Course, the old Cohort sync status no longer displays on that particular Enrolled User's line. You can, then, suspend the User through the now visible, Manual enrollments link within one or more of the applicable courses.

Strong Recommendation: Test this, first, by creating a fictitious User. Enroll that User into an existing site-wide Cohort (via Site Administration>User>Account>Cohorts>Edit users). Confirm that the User is appearing in All of the Courses that the existing cohort is enrolled. 

Log-out and log-in again as the fictitious User, and submit various course elements of your choosing, like quizzes, etc. You can then confirm as the Admin/Teacher/..., that these submissions have been registered in the Grade Book. 

Go through the above steps of changing the status of a Cohort/Sync Student to a Manual enrollment and confirm that there was no loss of the fictitious User's previously existing data.

Hopefully, there aren't too many Users in need of suspension; this workaround can be a tedious endeavor when multiple Users are enrolled in Courses through multiple Cohorts.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)