time restriction for courses

time restriction for courses

by mark furrer -
Number of replies: 7

Hello everybody

Is it possible to set a time restriction for the user, who is paying with paypal? For example: The user pays with paypal for a 3 month access.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mark furrer

Re: time restriction for courses

by N Hansen -
Yes Mark, you can, it's in the individual course settings. Choose 90 days. The only problem is the limit is on a per-course basis, not a per-student basis, so you can't make different periods available for different payment amounts.
In reply to mark furrer

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear Mark Furrer

It is possible to set an enrolment time for courses, such that after that time has elapsed user are automatically unenrolled. Please see the course settings, which are shown when you create a new course.

However, this timing bears upon the time from which the course starts, rather from which the users join the course.

*As far as I know* (as always) there is not a way of setting a time restriction starting from a user event. Due to demand, I think that this sort of feature will not be too long in coming however. So please bear with us.

The standard editions of Moodle do not yet have user-event caused *timing*. There are hacks (activity linking, vote for the "bug")  that allow one to cause user events to cause immediate release restrictions, but these are, as yet, as far as I know (I have not tried the supercalerender) hacks for allowing things to happen as an immediate result of a user event (such as passing a quiz) but do *not* to allow things to happen after a user event, such as enrollment, plus X amount of time.

The social constructionist philosophy of the Moodle general release (i.e. other than the hacks) is in a sense 'learner-centered' such that there are lots of ways, not supported by other (expenisive!) LCMS, of allowing learners to understand, supervise and control their own learning activities - such as learner-learner grading. Moodle is less geared towards educator-centered learning, that is to say 'educator-control'.

To the best of my knowledge,

Timothy

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Timothy,

right now "supercalendar" as you name it don't support time relative events , it support only time absolute.

Mark's problem, like Lady Athena and probably many others, should be best served by:

2 new courses formats: time relative and  topic relative

or a hack to Michael Course Program block-date/time hide/show for sections/activities to make it time relative.

Next version of supercalendar ( maybe before this summer ) will probably support time relative events.

I hope it may help.

Bye,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Timothy Takemoto -
Thanks for clearing that up Bernard - I still have not installed your super-calendar but I do mean to.

I wonder if it is possible to somehow join your activities linking with Michael's block.

Timothy
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Timothy,
I don't think that it is impossible to join Michael's block and activities linking.

But right now activities linking works well with regulate rights and give you immédiatly the benefits of Michal's block and activities linking.

In near future, "activities linking in meantime" will probably finish its meantime but regulate rights will handle all the linking types ( date, delay, grade, access, adaptive feedback, ... )

The user's interface used for that will be probably Alexis's Course menu with xtree famous Moode integration.

Also the lesson module will probably be slightly modified to be able to add automatically these kind of specials events in the calendar.

That way the lesson module will be able to activate/deactivate singles activities or entire sections or topics or weeks based on student's answers.

Some will view that as a bigger mazeevil, others ( I hope I will not be the only onethoughtful ) will see it as a "SCORM player " or as, in term of IMS learning design (2.9) "Blended Learning Delivery system", acting at the activity or at the section level of a normal Moodle course. ( Course level player )

I hope it may help.

Bye,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Barry Lindler -
Hey Bernard,

Can you point me to where I can download your supercalendar?  We are using 1.5.3, and I have read many good things about your module, but I cannot find it.

thanks,
Barry Lindler
In reply to Barry Lindler

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Barry,
I am sorry but the "supercalendar" was not upgraded to 1.5.3. Stuart Mayor did a great job by transforming activities linking hack in a real module with a user interface called activities locking. Regulated rights ( alas supercalendar ) was not included at that moment.

Including it should not be a very long job but now I am concentrating all my small developpement efforts on that using Stuart activities locking as it is now.

If you or other want to add "supercalendar" features to Stuart activities locking, I will be pleased to help to do the adaptation.

I hope it may help,

Bernard