Figuring out the version of Moodle being used

Figuring out the version of Moodle being used

by Marko Vidberg -
Number of replies: 5

Is there a direct way to figure out what version of Moodle a site is running without logging in or seeing the source code? 

I have a very simple script at http://vidberg.com/checkmoodle which I created to analyze a given URL but I was wondering if there is an easier way?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marko Vidberg

Re: Figuring out the version of Moodle being used

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well this is interesting. How does it work? I looked at the source code (not that I can understand it) and saw it "check php"but I can't imagine knowing the php version would be enough. I see that it identifies the major version of 1.9 but not minor versions. It identified some 2.2s I entered in - I didn't have any 2.0 or 2.1 to try but I noticed it says "unknown" for 2.3 Moodles.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marko Vidberg -

I just added in checking for Moodle 2.3, so it should recognize it as well now.  I won't tell how I'm figuring it out, I want to see if anyone can figure it out... but it really isn't too complicated (and not really that accurate as you can tell).

by Martyn Colliver -

Your code is hunting around for the TinyMCE version so that must somehow give away the Moodle being used.....

In reply to Martyn Colliver

by Marko Vidberg -

Yes, you are correct.  Each major release of Moodle uses a set of different versions of Tinymce so my code is looking for existence of certain tinymce files to see which matches the "fingerprint" of the moodle version found at the given URL.

by Marko Vidberg -

I got an email requesting that I do not make this tool publically accessible so it has been pw protected.  Sorry.