New language string for "grade" in edit quiz form

New language string for "grade" in edit quiz form

by Ewout ter Haar -
Number of replies: 4

Before opening a ticket in the tracker, I thought I would throw out a proposal here first. 

We are having a problem with the interpretation of the string "Grade" in the Quiz editing form, like the one documented here: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Building_Quiz#Assign_points_per_questions 

Our teachers are interpreting this string as if the total grade would be the sum of the grades. But what really happens is that a weighted average is taken. A short-term solution for our problem would be to change the language string from "{grade/}" to something else (like  {questiongrade/quiz} or {questionweight/quiz}). This would allow us the change our translation to something better in tune with the expectations of our teachers.

A longer-term solution would implement diferent aggregation methods, like the gradebook. But I am not sure how urgent that would be. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ewout ter Haar

Re: New language string for "grade" in edit quiz form

by André Yamin -

Adding a separete string will give more flexibility to the translators world wide and looks like a simple fix.

It is definitely a problem in brazilian portuguese, I dont know about other languages...

Regards,

André.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There is definitely a terminology problem with the set of words "grade, score, points, mark" plus maybe "weight, result(s)" and a couple of other such related words. This terminology problem is not specifically related to the Quiz module nor even to Moodle itself, of course, but to the general and specific uses of such words in various contexts for various languages. Finding from the context of use the exact "semantic value" of those words can be a daunting task for translators of moodle language strings into other languages.

Joseph

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Note that the wording changed a bit in 2.3, so before doing anything else, have a look at what has already been done there.

The convention we try to follow is explained on http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Overview_of_the_Moodle_question_engine#A_note_about_scores, and the changes in 2.3 are in line with that. It now uses 'Marked out of' for the maximum mark for each question.

(Although I know, thanks to David Mudrak, that not all languages have as many synonyms for mark/grade/score/... as English.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ewout ter Haar -

Yes, the changes in Moodle 2.3 solves our immediate problem, thanks!