Hidden items not grayed out using IE8 after upgrade to 2.1.3

Hidden items not grayed out using IE8 after upgrade to 2.1.3

by Rob Johnson -
Number of replies: 9

I upgraded to 2.1.3 yesterday and began getting reports from my teachers that hidden items were no longer gray on course pages.  I sorted this out to be a problem with Internet Explorer 8. Even hidden courses are not gray.  Below is a screenshot.  Notice resources with the eyeball icon closed.  If I close the eye, the link turns gray, but it reverts to blue after reloading the page.  AJAX on or off makes no difference.  The items are hidden from students.

hidden items

IE9 and FF display hidden items as expected.  I also tried several themes, and all have the same issue.  I even see this with a clean installation.  Compatibility mode in IE8 makes no difference.  I would like to be able to tell users to use a different browser, but our on campus machines are limited to IE8 by our IT department.

I will gladly report this to the tracker, but I would like to be sure it is affecting others.  If you have access to a machine using IE8, and have 2.1.3 installed, I would appreciate some feedback.  Thanks.

Rob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Johnson

Re: Hidden items not grayed out using IE8 after upgrade to 2.1.3

by Ryan Smith -

Rob,

I just confirmed the bug on Moodle 2.1.3 with IE8 in my test VM. I would report the bug to the tracker. Please post the link and I'll comment and upvote it.

In reply to Ryan Smith

by Rob Johnson -

Thank you for confirming, Ryan.  I have reported this bug as MDL-30524.  Please vote.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Rob Johnson -

I just updated to the latest 2.1.3 weekly release, and hidden items are still not grayed out using IE8.  I have been getting daily email about this from my teachers.  Does anyone know where I should start looking in the code if I wanted to try to fix this myself?  As stated in my original post, it happens across all themes, so my hunch is it is not in the theme code.

Thanks,

Rob.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Chad Outten -

Got my vote. Quick fix is to use another browser or

-Set said resources as invisible in a given week or topic

-Hide this topic

-In course settings, Hidden sections: Hidden sections are completely invisible

-Move activities, resources into a visible topic, week as required and set as visible.

In reply to Chad Outten

by Rob Johnson -

"Quick fix is to use another browser."

I agree, but unfortunatley our older campus machines have IE8 only.  The IT depatment in my district will not install FF or Chrome. : (

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Tina Schaefer -

I've come across the exact same issue. Our staff is incredibly confused and doesn't understand which resources are hidden and which are visible. Please let me know if there is a (straight forward) code fix for this.

Thanks - Tina

In reply to Tina Schaefer

by James Tuttle -

I voted & posted in the tracker.  This is also an issue when upgrading from 2.0.4+ to 2.0.7+.  I have reproduced the issue also on the current Internet Explorer 9.  This bug is preventing me from upgrading, as it would cause major confusion for people.  Bug needs to be fixed!!

In reply to James Tuttle

by Jodi Le Masurier -

Any movement on this issue yet? I am having the same problem in 2.0.

Thanks.

In reply to Jodi Le Masurier

by Rob Johnson -

Mary Evans from the theme fourm has assigned herself to the tracker issue.  At least it is now being looked into.