Adaptive quiz sub-questions get Interactive behaviour like lesson questions

Adaptive quiz sub-questions get Interactive behaviour like lesson questions

by Bernard Boucher -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,
   here is my first attempt to make quiz sub-questions ( many cloze questions embedded in one quiz question ) to behave like lesson questions with controlled jump to page equivalent.

That navigation control permit a new adative behavior of the quiz module: each choice of the cloze multiple choice questions activate ( make it visible ) a new sub-question related to the student choice: 
       If the student choose the right answer then the next sub-question will be similar or harder that the current sub-question.
       If the student choose a "controlled" distractor ( not a random distractor ) , then the next sub-question will be related to help the student to understand that the distractor can't be the right answer. And so on up to the deepest level of sub-questions.

The trick is to use some javascript to hide all the sub-questions except the first one ( we have to start somewhere wink  )

In the attached XML file filled with 31 "dummy" interlinked sub-questions, only the first question is visible and the 30 others are hidden. Each choice (5) of the first question ( first level ) control the visibility of the 5 questions ( second level ). Each choice (25) of these 5 sub-questions control the visibility of the 25 sub-questions of the thirt level. That look like a kind of balanced tree of sub-questions with only the path followed visible after execution!

In other words, in adaptive mode only, the choice you do in the first visible question combined with the  additional Submit button, force the next sub-question to be visible wich will correspond to the number of the choice. And samething for the next level of sub-questions.

This is only a limited demo "animated mock-ups" working only with firefox and with Moodle version under 2.0 at the moment. Also the position of the sub-questions are correct only in question preview mode.

You only have to import the XML file in your question bank as Moodle XML format.

The file import well in Moodle 2.+ but the javascript to show/hide questions don't works in these versions. If I keep that idea instead of using the lesson module as I did 7 years ago blush, then I will rework the show/hide code portion.

The advantage of using the quiz over the lesson reside in the fact that the used sub-questions appears on the same page to give a better global view of the relations of the sub-questions to the student  

The generated question is not for grading or assessing. It is for formative auto-formation as only few of the sub-questions will be viewable and gradable. ( only 4/31 in the example )

That file is generated by Socrate, without modification of Moodle core files wink An Alpha version to be released soon.

If you have a better naming convention for "sub-questions" I am taker!

Have fun navigating in the quiz!

Salutations from Québec

Bernard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernard Boucher

Re: Adaptive quiz sub-questions get Interactive behaviour like lesson questions

by Pierre Pichet -

Hi Bernard

Thanks for exploring ways to do e-learning.

Take care not to put to much energy on a 2,0 version i.e. before the new question engine implemented since 2,1.

Unfortunately the lessons have not already been worked to the new engine.

Your exploration show us one of the needs to fulfill about using lessons to "formative auto-formation".

Continue your exploration wink.

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Bernard Boucher -

Hi Pierre,

thanks for your kind words.

The reasons why I try to give the quiz a navigation similar to lesson module is to assure the perennity of the generator Socrate by taking advantage of the "official" support of the quiz module by Tim and others developpers like You, the new question engine and the new questions types. Also I try to add that navigation and many new questions models ( more on that on future posts ) without modifying the quiz files.

Salutations from Jonquière wink,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Su-Tuan Lulee Susan -

Hi, Bernard,

I am a doctoral student in Distance Education at Athabasca University. I have being trying to use Moodle to construct adaptive diagnostic tests for my dissertation study. Your sharing sounds helpful.

I imported your .xml to my question bank and got the attached screen and I did not know what to do next to complete the quiz questions. Would you explain more details about how the .xml will work for me please?

Also, has the newer version you mentioned released?

Thanks!

Su-Tuan

Attachment Adaptive quiz sub-q XML.jpg
In reply to Su-Tuan Lulee Susan

by Bernard Boucher -

Hi Su-Tuan ( I hope it is your first name) or Susan,

the message you got tell you that you have succesfully imported the question.

If you click the categories tab on that screen then you will see the new question:

if you accepted the default  options in the import process the question should be in the categorie ( not very intuitive for you wink ) named ( and created by the import process ) :

601/4EFF/Test Arbre aaaa.

At that moment you could test the question by clicking in the preview icon or you can include that new question in a quiz to see it.

For the newer version I am still working on the genaration process, not on the presentation of the system named Socrate. 

Right now Socrate generate only 4 simple models of questions as that image show:

Later the generator will generate more complex questions models that will use navigation as that xml file show. At that time I will refine the javascript code to make it more compatible among browsers.

I hope it may help,

Thanks for testing and let me know if you have others problems,

Salutations from Québec,

Bernard