Avoiding duplicate files with Repositories?

Avoiding duplicate files with Repositories?

by Paul Masson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi Moodle Community,

I am hoping to avoid a high level of file redundancy and hope someone can offer me some direction.

I understand the logic behind the 2.0 file picker - security, context, etc.

But we use a fair amount of video files that are rather large, and already I see a considerable amount of duplication, even when I add files from a repository.

My reading of the documentation leaves me with the impression that selecting files from a repository would link to the file, not create a duplicate.  However, looking at my database and server, this does not seem to be the case.

Am I doing something wrong?

How can I use the same file in different courses without creating multiple copies of that file?

Thanks,

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Masson

Re: Avoiding duplicate files with Repositories?

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Paul,

Actually the file system model used in 2.0 was designed to avoid having duplicate files. There is always only one physical instance of each file, but many entries at the database table, where each register points to each "copy" used at each of the courses.

Linking is used only when using the YouTube repository, otherwise file copying is used.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Richard Jones -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Here is an excellent source of information on Moodle 2 files: http://www.slideshare.net/mark.drechsler/moodle-20-files-an-inconvenient-truth Cheers Richard
In reply to Richard Jones

by Paul Masson -

Richard,

Thanks for the resource.  Not the answer I was hoping for, but an answer none the less.

Paul