MP3 Quickie - a new MP3 voice recorder for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.x to record 20-second "quickies"

MP3 Quickie - a new MP3 voice recorder for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.x to record 20-second "quickies"

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 45
Picture of Plugin developers

I would like to ntroduce a new MP3 voice recorder based on Vimas Technology's Mp3 Recording Applet SDK. Here's a screenshot of their demo product from their webpage:

And here's my modified version after roughly 12 hours of work, sitting pretty on my Moodle coursepage in a Moodle HTML block:

You can try the live demo here:
http://scm.moodleace.com/course/view.php?id=44
Username: student
Password: moodle

Here's my Youtube video on how to use it.

So what's it all about then?

I have created a new MP3 voice recorder (PHP code, no MySQL database) that can be easily installed onto your Moodle 1.9 or Moodle 2.0 site. I designed it to fit in a Moodle block by using iframe HTML code.

It is based on the MP3 recorder by Vimas Technologies. (http://www.vimas.com). I tidied up the original code of their 20-second demo voice recorder, improved the interface and added a few more features. The core feature remains unchanged, which is to make 20-second voice recordings and save them as MP3 files.

I've named my contribution to the Moodle community as the MP3 Quickie. You can use this MP3 Quickie in a Moodle block, website or your own blog, to make 20-second recordings - quickies. For short recordings , my modified version will suffice. If you want to make longer recordings, you might have to use an alternative software or wait for Nanogong to mature in Moodle 2.x which is already in the works by some individuals on Moodle.org.

In my MP3 Quickie, the voice recordings are stored in efficient small-sized MP3 files on your server. For those who are now on Moodle 2.x, and if Nanagong voice recording for Moodle 2.x is still on the way, you can use my MP3 Quickie to do short recordings.

For more screenshots, information, source code and installation instructions, please head over to my blog at: http://moodurian.blogspot.com.

I can't tell if the quality of the recording is because of my cheap headset or if the demo applet is purposely coded to produce more background static. Perhaps if you happen to have a decent quality headset with noise-cancellation technology, you can test the MP3 Quickie on my Moodle site and judge for yourself.

I have tested the MP3 Quickie on m Moodle 1.9.7 site, and on Mozilla Firefox. Please let me know if there are any bugs, problems or browser incompatibilities (ie., IE!). I hope you have fun using this MP3 Quickie.

Regards,
Frankie Kam, Melaka, Malaysia

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: MP3 Quickie - a new MP3 voice recorder for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.x to record 20-second "quickies"

by Nicholas Walker -

Hi Frankie,

You have done it once again! Thanks. I always enjoy your innovations. 

I have successfully installed the MP3 Quickie on my server. I noticed that there is the parameter ""serverscript" in the file record_app_mp3_disk.php (a file you didn't mention) with a reference to moodleace. I wonder if the change to myownmoodleserver.com is needed.

I like the way the recorder fits into a block. The sound quality is very good.  It all works very nicely, but...the JavaScript alert message says to copy and paste the URL of the uploaded recording and it seems I can't highlight and copy text in alert boxes in IE, Chrome or Firefox. Maybe it is an XP thing.

In any case, I was wondering if you knew how to activate the "save to client computer" feature. I think I would prefer that my students keep a copy of their recordings for themselves before uploading it to a forum, etc. Can you help with this? 

Thanks again!!
Nick

In reply to Nicholas Walker

Re: MP3 Quickie - a new MP3 voice recorder for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.x to record 20-second "quickies"

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Nicholas

Thanks for the comments. And your sound quality is out of this world. Super high-fidelity stuff your Logitech headset is.

You're using Moodle 2.1 is it?

> the JavaScript alert message says to copy and paste the URL of the
>uploaded recording and it seems I can't highlight and copy text in
>alert boxes in IE, Chrome or Firefox. Maybe it is an XP thing.
>
I'm using XP and I can highlight with my mouse. Only thing is that I can't right-click and choose copy. I have to hit the Control-C key to do a copy. Then I paste it to Notepad and save for future keeping. Or I can paste it later into a Moodle label with HTML mode on. For you not to be able to even select the displayed embeded code with your mouse on XP is very strange indeed.

From the original Vimas Technology documentation:

"The MP3 audio recording applet SDK is designed for the web developers and allows to record the audio in MP3 format from the web site and upload audio file to the web server via HTTP. Also, it is possible to save recorded audio file on the client computer and open it from there. To playback the recorded MP3 audio from the server the recording applet works in the streaming mode."

> I was wondering if you knew how to activate the "save to client
>computer" feature.
>

Oh yes! It is very possible to create a download button that allows the user to click and download a newly (just) created mp3 file. If I can create an embed code, then I definitely can create a button to download the just-created-hot-off-the-oven MP3 file

*However*, to allow the user to choose from the existing list of previously saved mp3 files will require some thinking. Need to put on my thinking cap on for that one. My next mini-project..... wink

Cheers for now
Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Nicholas Walker -

Hi Frankie,

Thanks for the reply. I'm using  Moodle 1.9.12.

A little about me: I teach English to French speakers here in Montreal, Quebec, and the way I like to use voice recording on Moodle is to have students post MP3s to a forum or submit an MP3 to Peer Review. So, your interest in EasySpeak, chats, and voice recording fits nicely with my interest in creating opportunities to communicate meaningfully in the target language. 

I have used Nanogong and portable versions of Audacity. I find both add extra steps that my students find confusing. The Nanogong applet triggered a warning that students clicked away before reading and understanding (MP3 Quickie is digitally signed). Audacity Portable involves both saving (aup) and exporting (mp3, wav, etc.). It seems my students want an MP3 toaster not an MP3 engineering project. So, ideally an MP3 recorder with only the essential features on the same webpage as the forum or assignment textbox would be best. 

I realize that I may be pushing my incredible luck here, but I'll share my dream MP3 Quickie recorder with you just in case you find it inspiring. It would look like this:

Nick's dream Mp3 Quickie recorder with bubbles showing features

For me, students need to understand what to do immediately by looking at the recorder. With the placeholder text as "Your_name" instead of "Name" they'll know to use their own name or nickname. If a timestamp could be appended to the filename, the chance of them inadvertently recording over another student's recording would be eliminated.

Messages in the status box should be Ready, Recording, Stopped, or Uploaded. I suppose Failed to upload might be warranted if the internet connection is lost. Whereas a save button would help students keep a record of their work, in my experience students have trouble understanding the distinction between saving and uploading. So I'll contradict myself and suggest that a message that says "Download or link to your MP3 file" will probably suffice. 

Does any of this sound doable or worthwhile, Frankie? 

Best wishes,

Nick

Montreal, Canada

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Nicholas

I've only just read your post.

Here's the enhancements I've made:
1. the link in black-underlined text is the last saved MP3 file to the server.
2. added a refresh button so that the last saved MP3 file to the server
    will appear
3. added a help button with text help (text is easily customised) 
4. added sorted list of saved mp3 files (displayed in the drop-down box)
    - however lowercase text shows after uppercase text
5. enhanced the size and readability of the black-white icons
6. Changed default file name from "Name" to "Your_Name"
7. If you type the name of the file inside the edit box as
    heal the world
    the code will save the file as HealTheWorld.mp3 (spaced removed, first letter of each word is capitalised!). 

I had to limit the maximum size of the file name entered by the student
inside the text box. Anything more than 13 characters will cause the 
block to have horizontal and vertical scrollbars appear. Not very nice-
lookning then.

I agree with many of your enhancements and improvements to the status messages. Unfortunately (sigh), many of the status messages are from the Applet itself. And I only have the .class file, not the .java file for obvious reasons - the source code for the applet is with Vimas Technology.

What definitely needs looking into is to stop the automatic overwriting of similar filenames. A prompt (alert box) should appear disallowing the overwrite. Or we could still allow this for two reasons:

1. it allows a way for the user to "delete" his or her previous recording. Want to scrap a recording named JohnDoe.mp3? Just record a 2-seconds blank recording with the same name JohnDoe.mp3!

2.  A rule can be implemented that works like this: each time a recording is made by the user (student), he or she should immediately refresh the widget and then right-click on the download link. This allows the student to make an immediate backup of the saved-to-server file in order to avoid any future tears caused by overwriting of files.

I would give an arm and a leg to be able to allow selective downloads of ALL or any  files stored on the server - not just the most recent file stored. At the moment, I don't know how to! That would be great to implement.

Well that's the best I can do for the time being. Again, you can try out the live block on my site, and I'm also attaching the entire latest zip file for your perusal so that you can install it to your own server.

Regards
Frankie Kam 

Download link to version2 (full system) is:
http://i.minus.com/drOsRGnUwKwen.zip

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Nicholas Walker -

Hi Frankie,

The new version of MP3 Quickie works great! It is almost everything I wanted on my wish list.    

But I noticed a challenge in the new code: You put my name in record_app_mp3_JS.php as responsible for "Design quality assurance." I guess I'm on the hook! approve

I was wondering. The MP3 QUickie does not display a link to the file you uploaded, does it? It is showing the latest file to be uploaded by anyone on the server, no? If that is the case, presumably on a busy site or where students are recording and all uploading files just before the end of a lab period, it could be that if someone were too slow to refresh, he might miss the window of opportunity to see his own file displayed as the latest. Is that possible? 

Suggestion: You might want to warn people on your blog that there are a few more instances of "scm.moodleace.com" to replace with "yoursite.com/moodle" in record_app_mp3_JS.php.  

Also, I had to set permissions on my server for /voicefiles/ and /miha/ to chmod 777 or 757 to get new recordings to upload. I tried 755 and 775, but no luck. Something to watch out for. 

The next step for me will be to test it with my students. 

Best wishes,

Nick

"QA Officer" cool

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Saint Nick

> You put my name in record_app_mp3_JS.php as responsible for "Design quality assurance."
>
It's called giving credit, where credit is due.

> I guess I'm on the hook!
>
For giving me work to do, you now have to earn your keep. Hehe.

> it could be that if someone were too slow to refresh
>
If someone hits the refresh button, the other student's link is not affected. Because in a lab class, there are multiple instances of Moodle course pages
being opened. So I think what you fear will not happen. You have to test it
in a real scenario.

Thanks a lot for the other observations and things to take note of.

BTW, I will increase the length of the name and not restrict to a measly 13 or 14 characters. That way, you have more names to play around with and the user will not feel so restricted. More freedom. And I think I know how to do this without affecting the block look and feel (meaning get rid of any hor or vert scroll bars).

What's really needed is a way to allow the user to download any mp3 file on the drop list. At the moment that feature is sorely lacking.

Another thought - another variant of MP3 quickie is this: if I don't sort the MP3 filenames alphabetically, but just access them according to chronological order, then you have a kind of VOICE FORUM! If I can record the date/timestamp into the server data, then we have a record of a sequence of voice mails like a forum proper. Something like that.

Welcome to the frustrating and fulfulling world of software development! In the world of coding, almost anything is possible. Also, if more PHP-savvy Moodlers/programmers to contribute to MP3 Quickie, that is the way to really move forward.

Frankie Kam

by Nicholas Walker -

Hi again Frankie,

I took the liberty or fiddling around with the order of the elements inside table and removed the dropdown file list from the MP3 Quickie . I realize that this removes a feature that your worked on, but I wanted to see how simple I could make it for my students--simple to explain and simple to use. Here's what I came up with:

rearranged Quickie

The result is a clockwise sequence of steps that leads to the student having a link to paste into a forum. 

What do you think? Is it worth losing the dropdown feature to make it more compact and obvious to students? 

Best wishes,

Nick

by Damian Griffiths -

Hello Frankie (and Nick),

I have just seen this and am incredibly interested in installing it for a language-teaching project I am considering.  I was wondering if there were an up-to-date version after all of your recent tweaking for Nick?! 

Thanks v much,

Damian

In reply to Damian Griffiths

by Damian Griffiths -

As an after thought, would it be possible to have a version which records solely to the student's PC and not to the server? 

Thanks! 

Damian

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Damian!

>As an after thought, would it be possible to have a version
>which records solely to the student's PC and not to the server?
>
Currently, MP3Quickie can record to the server and allow the student to download to his/her PC. This is similar to what I think you mean above. Just that it does what you wanted, but in an indirect way (e.g., the student must click the refresh button and then right-click on the download link that appears).

With regards to saving to the client PC, I think that the file "record_app_mp3_disk.php" has something to do with that but I haven't tried it yet! The documentation for MP3 states that the file is an example that demonstrates how to save audio file on the client computer, open and delete it.". Once I try it out, I'll definitely share my findings with you.

The record_app_mp3_disk.php interface contains a "Save" button. I'm trying to see if it means save from server to client (student PC) or save from newly recorded to client (student PC). I am hoping that it might mean the former, but I am sure that unfortunately, it means the latter.

Will confirm this one soon.
Frankie Kam

by Nicholas Walker -

Hi Damian,

Frankie posted a link to version2 here: http://i.minus.com/drOsRGnUwKwen.zip  

If you want to use my rearrangements and simplification,  you will have to swap the code from line 179 to the end of the table section in record_app_mp3_JS.php with the code in the attached text file. 

Or you can wait for Frankie's latest and greatest and try that.   

Best wishes,

Nick

by Frankie Kam -

My latest version 1.4 is on my Moodle site.

Your compact design is GREAT! Clear and concise.

The beauty is that you can tailor the code for your need. It all depends on what you want to achieve.

In my latest version, you can type a very long name and the name will be intact on the server. I've used your ideas in the latest version.

I grayed the "Saved" row so that it is less of a distraction, and students can focus more on the other rows, especially the Your_Name row!

I modified and re-enhanced two icons - the pause and refresh icons.

The moment the alert box pops up to inform the student that the MP3 file has successfully been uploaded, the applet will refresh. This will avoid the problem of the student missing the window of opportunity to refresh in a large class.

Here's what you can accomplish by allowing up to 240 characters for a filename and by placing the code in the left-hand side of the screen!

You can try the live demo here:

Until the next enhancement, cheers!
Frankie Kam

Download link to latest version 1.4:
see my next post below.

If you have problems with the direct click to download, then make sure you right-click on the link in the minus.com webpage.

Lastly for now, please inform me of any nagging bugs or problems with the existing code. I feel that the refresh button may not be fully tested yet.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Itamar Tzadok -

Frankie, just to make sure, the demo you have used for this quickie is not open source or freeware and has to be licensed to be used right? smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Frankie Kam -

Itamar

I've only now read this (buried inside one of the folders in Vimas Technologies zip download):

VIMAS Technologies    Software  LICENSE AGREEMENT

Please read the following terms and conditions before using the Mp3 Audio Recording Applet SDK  (the "Software") provided by VIMAS Technologies.  If you do not agree with these terms, do not use the Software.  If you would like to change the license conditions and adapt them to your business, please, contact us .

1. LICENSE GRANT:

VIMAS Technologies grants to you  a non-exclusive licence to utilize the Software in the

networked Web documents and 6-monthes free support, if your application is not Application Service Providing (ASP). It is a subject to the following conditions:

1.1   You may:

Utilize the Software in the single Web Site of company or person  which  licensed the Software.

If you intend to use the Software for ASP purposes, please, contact us.

1.2   You may not:

1.2.1 distribute the Software in conjunction with any service and/or product; and

1.2.2 modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or create derivative works based on the Software; and

1.2.3 permit other company and/or individuals to use the Software.

1.3      VIMAS Technologies mentioning as applet developer :

you have to add to web page  with Mp3 recording applet the link to http://www.vimas.com/ and text “Mp3 web audio recorder powered by VIMAS Technologies” or something else with the same sense.

If you do not willing to mention the VIMAS Technologies, you must pay additional $300.

2. "AS IS" WARRANTY.

THE SOFTWARE AND THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS," WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE  OR NONINFRINGEMENT.

3. TITLE:

VIMAS Technologies  retains all title, ownership rights, and intellectual property rights to the Software.

4. TERMINATION:

The license will terminate automatically if you fail to comply with the limitations described herein. On termination of this license, you must destroy all copies of the Software in your possession or control.

5. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL COPIA OR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, EVEN IF COPIA SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR  FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY.

Bummer. 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Itamar Tzadok -

That was the first thing I looked for (because this enhancement is so great!) and saw this but hoped I was missing something you might have found. So yeah, bummer it is. sad

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Itamar

> So yeah, bummer it is.
>

Well, bummer the bummer!

I've spent over 20 hours slaving over the PHP code, working without a PHP debugger (does one exist?), getting white applet areas when the code breaks due to bugs, Googling PHP code stuff, so, I'm gonna do something about it.

>(because this enhancement is so great!)
>
Coming from a PHP/MySQL and CSS guru programmer like you, that is a compliment that I thank you for and I can live on that for 1 month! Ah yes.

Okay, I'm back on earth now. The company is in Ukraine (PO Box 48, Kyiv-015, 01015, Ukraine. ), and I had earlier emailed to info@vimas.com about the MP3 Quickie (complete with screenshots) but no reply. I've even posted on their forum which is invested with spam, but no reply from Sergey yet. I will call them direct Tel. (38 044) 221-26-02  on my VoIP phone in order to make contact. I''ll Skype s_kuchma as well.The main thing now I feel is for me to get in touch with them to explain what I did and what can come out of this for them and for the Moodle community. For example, maybe, just maybe this modified plugin can raise the demand for their full version applet. Win-win-situation kind of thing.

In the meantime, here is my latest version 1.4 of the MP3 Quickie, and will be my last revision until I get kind approval from vimas.com on the plugin or am told explicitly or implicitly to cease and desist:
http://i.minus.com/dtmKKlYH5MWzH.zip
or
http://minus.com/mPv1Tgivg

You should be able to get the file MP3_Quickie_RecApplet_Ver1_4.zip from either one of the links.

Hoping for a win-win situation for vimas.com and
the Moodle community,
Frankie Kam
Melaka, Malaysia

by Frankie Kam -

Hi y'all

I did get a reply from Sergey of Vimas Technolgy:

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

The original PHP code by Vimas Technology and underlying applet is neither freeware nor open source (which I had wrongly assumed from the beginning). See documentation of licensing agreement found in this download from Vimas Technology's website. I quote in part:

>1.3 VIMAS Technologies mentioning as applet developer :
> you have to add to web page with Mp3 recording applet the link to
>http://www.vimas.com/ and text “Mp3 web audio recorder powered by VIMAS
>Technologies” or something else with the same sense. If you do not willing
>to mention the VIMAS Technologies, you must pay additional $300.
>

Therefore, I've decided to make FOUR main changes to the MP3 Quickie. Arising out the changes is Version 1.5 of MP3 Quickie. Below are the changes.

(1) I made sure that once the user clicks the upload button, the system will upload the file to the server and then auto-refresh the applet so that the link points to the latest and most recent file on the server (the one just uploaded).

(2) I've removed the REFRESH button (lower-right-hand corner) since it was causing a lockup problem with Mozilla Firefox 6. That didn't happen with IE or Google Chrome, but it was frustrating to have lockups when the user clicked REFRESH. Now MP3 Quickie Version 1.5 no longer has any lockup problems when used with Mozilla Firefox.

(3) I've replaced the problematic REFRESH button with an image button showing Vimas Technology's logo. I hope this fulfills the licensing requirements as now proper credit is given to the company that created the applet MP3 technology - Vimas Technology. I changed the hue from blue to black in order to match the white-and-black theme of the applet. If you want to retain the original blue hue of the Vimas Technology logo, use the file vimas_clear.png instead of vimas_black.png in the source file record_app_mp3_JS.php.

(4) I've reenabled the original volume tracker bar on the bottom of the applet. It shows hues of blue to green (to red?) depending on the volume of the input speech. I thought that this would provide a proper visual feedback of the input level. I had originally hidden this bar by using 0 value in this line of code in the file record_app_mp3_JS.php:

ALIGN="MIDDLE" WIDTH="98%" HEIGHT=0

I changed the value of the HEIGHT parameter to 5.

In conclusion, with these enhancements, I have reached a milestone in the week-long development of this MP3 plugin. I hope that you will enjoyed plugin as much as I have enjoyed overcoming the programming and testing obstacles in the development of MP3 Quickie.

Frankie Kam
Melaka, Malaysia

Download MP3 Quickie version 1.5
To download properly, click on the above hyperlink. Then when you see the hperlink "Download MP3_Quickie_Version1_5.zip", right-click you mouse on the new link and you should then choose "Save target as" to save the zip ile to your computer.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Itamar Tzadok -

Frankie, sorry to be such a nag, but I'm not sure you interpret the license terms correcly although I'd be more than happy to stand corrected. The license seems to state that including the vimas link only exempts you from additional $300, which suggests that anyone who wishes to use the Quickie is still required to obtain a single user license for 300 and something, or some quoted rate if installed as a service for multiple users (see 1.1 in the license aggreement). smile

by Frankie Kam -

Itamar

Thank you for being a 'nag'. You being a 'nag' is helping me. Guess I'm still vague on the license agreement. Now I'm clearer thanks to you. What you posted is true as you have rightly pointed out. I'm taking baby steps here (navigating carefully) to make sure I don't get sued or something. After all, I'm just a starving programmer plying my trade on the World Wide Web. At least the logo and link shows the world that MP3 Quickie is not my creation per se and that I acknowledge the original creators of the MP3 recorder. Having to pay just USD399 for  a multiple license is better than paying USD300 (no logo and no link) + USD399 (multiple license) = USD699. mixed

So what's my next step? Maybe include a statement "Anyone who wishes to use the Quickie is still required to obtain a single user license for USD399 from Vimas Technology" in the window activated by the help button? Most teachers (including me) can't afford that amount.

Question: Why can't they just use the Quickie for what it is - a 20 second limitation recorder, and if they need full recording facilities, buy the licensed USD399?

I've just sent off another email to Vimas Tech for a clarification. Will decide what to do next after getting a reply.

Frankie 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

Hi there.

I've just finished Version 1.6 of MP3 Quickie. Now the recorder allows you to download your MP3 file from the server space, directly off a selection drop-down box. In this version, only single downloads are allowed. So if you have 10 MP3 recordings on the server, you'll have to select each one in turn and download each one by one. Still, this is a vast improvement over Version 1.5.

Here's a screenshot:

You can download Version 1,6 from here:
http://minus.com/dNJZqOTLQokyh.zip
or
http://minus.com/mQTYKMx1V

When you see the red-zipper image link,

click on it and then you should be able to right-click on it and save it as
MP3_Quicker_Recorder_Version1_6.zip

To demo the MP3 Quickie Version 1.6, head over to:

I have lost lots of sleep over this one, but it was well worth it! This version represented a great programming challenge. How to do an MP3 download from a HTML checklist. Many hours were spent Googling and testing the code. I've done it. It's a programming milestone for me. But really, I did this work so that others could use it. Not just me or my students.

Please let me know if you find this MP3 recorder USEFUL for your classes or institution. I hope that you enjoy using it for your English classes and other communications and/or language classes. Do drop me a comment or two so that I will know that my hard work has benefited someone across the ocean.

Many thanks to Vimas Technology for a great applet. If the 20-second recording limitation is too short for you, you can always get a full unlimited length recording version from their website. Lastly, I hope that Vimas Technology can create either a free version or a low-cost version for educators to use. That would be really, really great.

Regards
Frankie Kam
Melaka, Malaysia

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -
In reply to Frankie Kam

by Nicholas Walker -

Hi Frankie,

I have successfully installed 1.6. Great stuff. The dropdown list is a marvelous idea for students who need to locate a recording. 

Nice idea to add numbered tooltips. See my collage below. I noticed that with your new auto-refresh feature, step # 6 is gone and so # 7 should be re-numbered #6. I added a red spot at the center of the record button to make it more recognizably a record button. 

Image for anyone to download and use (public domain) to explain the MP3 Quickie to students or colleagues

So far I have tested MP3 Quickie 1.6 with Chrome, Firefox, and IE8. I can attest that it works beautifully.  Nice work, Frankie! 

Nick

Montreal, Quebec

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Nicholas!

Thank you for your comments.

Would you believe that the dropdown download list took me 12 hours to code, debug, test and do? There are at least 3 antidotes to a dormant mind for a senior citizen. One is playing chess, and the other is gardening. The third antidote is computer programming. Lots of problems need to be solved exactly in order to arrive at a working solution.

ANYWAY, the download selection list now works, but only for one download at a time. It would be more USEFUL if the use could select MORE THAN ONE item on the drop-down list and then click the Download button and let the system "fire away" with multiple downloads to the harddisk.

The red button is nice and very functional. Which means that you could also experiment with other colours for the other icons. E.g., nothing to stop you from adding green colour to the "Listen" icon. The "Stop" icon can be in orange. The "pause" icon can be in blue. The "Upload" button can be in yellow. Cyan for the "Help" button and a very pastel green for the gray-like "Play selected MP3" button. Etc. Are the colours distracting? I'm not a designer in the strict sense, so it might be good to get an opinion of a web-master or graphic arts person.

Of course you may end up with gaudy-looking colours that clashes with your Moodle site's theme, or, looking positively, you could end up with colours that match the current Moodle theme.

Enhancement feature to-be-implemented #1
I'm working on a "multiple selection for the download list" and "multiple downloads" feature. That will allow the user to download one, many or all the MP3s with just a few clicks. Of course a "Download ALL" button could be included at the cost of GUI real-estate and more clutter.

Enhancement feature to-be-implemented #2
Note: at the moment, the drop down list is sorted. Another way to use the Quickie is to display the saved MP3 files in chronological sequence. Yeah, I've just got an idea while typing this...the saved list could be shown in chronological order, and the download list be shown in alphabetically sorted order. That way you have the best of both worlds:
(a) One list to show you the saved MP3 according to most recent and least recent
(b) Another list to allow you to quickly locate your MP3 file (if you remember its name of course!) since the download list is sorted in ascending order.

Enhancement feature to-be-implemented #3
Another feature, possible with PHP programming, is to get the server to zip all selected items and download them as a single zip file. You would need a separate button for that one.

Enhancement feature to-be-implemented #4
I came across a PHP coding webpage where it contained code to selectively show and hide any HTML rows (<tr>...</tr> code). That would be ideal since it would allow the user to dynamically show or hide any row of the Quickie. That way you can go the minimalistic look (like what you designed early in this thread), or the full-blown all rows version that you now see.

The possibilites never end.

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

Hi all!

Here's a screenshot of my latest work on the MP3 Quickie version 1.7.

It now incorporates an upload MP3 files button! AND has the two dropdown lists in unsorted and alphabetically sorted views.

There are TWO ways to implement the upload button on my site (I've done them).

(a) Using a very nice and simple button with impressive looking progress bar - but that's a 30-day evaluation code from http://phpfileuploader.com
A full domain version costs USD99.

(b) A totally free uploader with progress bar from http://www.inaflashuploader.com/ Very easy to install, but comes with a logo embedded inside a swf file. Cost = USD0.00 (free)

If you know of any other Php file uploader that FREE and is EASIER to install than In-A-Flash-Uploader, please let me know! I can't find any other that beats this Php file installer in the ease-of-setup department.

You can check BOTH the upload methods on my MP3 Quickie at my production Moodle site:

At the moment, (b) is activated, while (a) has been commented out inside the file record_app_mp3_JS.php somewhere around line 386.

Below is the download link to the full zipped code for Version 1.7 http://minus.com/dTax4XyhAO42J.zip

So now you have an MP3 recorder in the form of a Moodle block that can:

• record an MP3 audio save the recorded MP3 audio to the server
  • playback the recorded MP3 (and all MP3 files stored in the server) - note: the play back is NOT restricted to 20 seconds. You can play an MP3 audio that lasts MORE than 20 seconds - no problem! wink
  • download any and all recorded MP3 files (but only one download at a time) do single or multiple upload MP3 files direct into the server voicefiles/miha subfolder 
  • even cancel an upload in progress and the half-uploaded MP3 file will be deleted from the server!

What more would you want from the MP3 Quickie Version 1.7?

Regards Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

Here is Version 1.8.

http://moodurian.blogspot.com/2011/09/mp3-quickie-makeover-version-18.html

MP3 Quickie is now skinnable by using a graphic image of your choice.

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

MP3 Quickie

by Bzik YoYo -

Hi there Frankie. My name is Rambo, a fresh and unexperienced moodler. I have followed the instructions caerfuly but don't know how to get the MP3 Quickie into a block. I cannot find any thing to link to it and it doens't shown on any menu.

What am I doing wrong?

In reply to Bzik YoYo

Re: MP3 Quickie

by Stuart Frankland -

Hi Rambo,

Think this was delivered to me by mistake, should be Frankie Kam who is the developer.

Regards Stuart

In reply to Bzik YoYo

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Rambo V!

Well, you can't fnd a block because there is no block. Instead, create a HTML block. Edit it and in HTML mode copy and paste in this code:

[iframe width="98%" height="300" frameborder="0" src="../recorder/record_app_mp3_JS.php"][/iframe]

Replace the square brackets with sharp brackets. For more information, head on over to: http://moodurian.blogspot.com. Shameless plug, hehe.

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Bzik YoYo -

Thank you Frankie

That was stupid of me, wasn't it?

Any way, it still dosn't work for me.

The only thing I get in the HTML block is: "Loading Java applet..." and nothing much happens. It seems like it is looking for something...

By the way, same thing happens if I try to run "record_app_mp3_JS.php" directly from the sever. But due to my ignorance in that field I don't know if it means anything...

Any suggestions?

In reply to Bzik YoYo

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Rambo

I've pasted in my standard installation instructions post. Taken from:
http://moodurian.blogspot.com/2011/09/mp3-quickie-makeover-version-18.html 

You will need to check these 3 php files and replace all occurrences of scm.moodleace.com (my old domain) with yourdomain.com. The Quickie will only load if you do these manual steps:

\recorder\record_app_mp3_J.php (3 hits)
Line 12: codebase = "http://scm.moodleace.com/recorder"
Line 28: CODEBASE="http://scm.moodleace.com/recorder"
Line 38: <PARAM NAME = "ServerScript" VALUE = "http://scm.moodleace.com/recorder/retrive.php">

\recorder\record_app_mp3_JS.php (8 hits)
Line 34: $MyMoodleSite = "scm.moodleace.com";
Line 149: document.RPApplet.SAVE("scm.moodleace.com/voicefiles/miha/","Name.mp3");
Line 375: echo "<a href=\"http://scm.moodleace.com/voicefiles/miha/$latest_filename\" class=\"blacklink\" alt=\"Last saved\" title=\"7. Copy and paste this link to your forum post\">$choppedTo13charactersFileName</a>";
Line 468: $uploader = new FlashUploader('uploader', '../voicefiles/miha/uploader', 'http://scm.moodleace.com/recorder/uploader/upload.php');
Line 490: CODEBASE="http://scm.moodleace.com/recorder"
Line 496: <PARAM NAME = "ServerScript" VALUE = "http://scm.moodleace.com/recorder/retrive.php">

\recorder\record_app_spx_JS.php (7 hits)
Line 34: $MyMoodleSite = "scm.moodleace.com";
Line 149: document.AudioApplet.SAVE("scm.moodleace.com/voicefiles/miha/","Name.spx");
Line 371: echo "<a href=\"http://scm.moodleace.com/voicefiles/miha/$latest_filename\" class=\"blacklink\" alt=\"Last saved\" title=\"7. Copy and paste this link to your forum post\">$choppedTo13charactersFileName</a>";
Line 464: $uploader = new FlashUploader('uploader', '../voicefiles/miha/uploader', 'http://scm.moodleace.com/recorder/uploader/upload.php');
Line 499: <param name = "serverScript" value = "http://scm.moodleace.com/recorder/retrive.php">

Hope this helps,

Frankie Kam

Sunday 19th February 2012

APPENDIX

STANDARD INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. Download the zip file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17797520/MP3_Quickie_Version1-8.zip.

2. Upload (FTP) the zip file to your Moodle main folder.

3. Extract the zip file. Two folders will be created in you Moodle main folder:
(a) recorder folder
(b) voicefiles folder (this folder contains a sub-folder named miha. Voice recordings are saved in the miha subfolder)

4. Edit these two files: Make changes in the record_app_mp3_J.php and record_app_mp3_JS.php files in the applet call. In the "ServerScript" parameter you have to indicate your web domain instead of scm.moodleace.com.

5. change line 8 of record_app_mp3_JS.php:
$MyMoodleSite = "scm.moodleace.com";
Substitute the text scm.moodleace.com with the name of your moodle site's url.

Be careful to replace all instances of "scm.moodleace.com" with "yoursite.com" in the file record_app_mp3_JS.php.

6. Server script must have the permission to save the voice files on the server. Please, check it. To set permissions use chmod 755 instruction on the folder voicefiles and the miha subfolder. Your web server administrator can do it. If chmod 777 does not work then set permissions on your server for /voicefiles/ and /miha/ to chmod 777 or chmod 757 to get new recordings to upload.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Bzik YoYo -

Thank you so much for your help, Frankie. That was extremely helpful . Now I can actually see the recorder in the block but the buttons doesn't seem to respond. It is probably because the file: record_app_spx_JS.php  is no where to be found.I looked for it everywhere in the downloaded file but it is not there.

Where can I get this missing file?

Thank you for your time and help

In reply to Bzik YoYo

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Rambo

Apparently, there is no record_app_spx_JS.php file!

I've checked my folders - no such file exists. So I don't know how it made its way into my documentation. LOL.

If the Quickie doesn't load up, try upgrading your Java Runtime to the latest version. Also before testing the webpage, clear your browser cache. Then if you're usng Mozilla Firefox, close all browser windows. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose Task Manager, Processes. Look for FireFox which probably takes up a few hundred megabytes of RAM. Delete that process, then restart Mozilla Firefox and give the webpage another try.

Edit the files
record_app_mp3_JS.php
download.php
/uploader/upload-debug.php
and change any occurrence of moodleace or moodurian to your URL.

Hope this helps a wee bit
Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

Latest working version (Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome).

Go here and give it a try yourself. Just remember you have 20 seconds to make a recording.

http://www.moodurian.com/course/view.php?id=2
Username: studentscm
Password: studentscm

More information at my blog.

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Bzik YoYo -

Hey Frankie

Thanks for your help Frankie.
The MP3 Quickie started to work all of a sudden without me doing anything. I tried the latest version (MP3 Quickie 2.0) and I think it looks great and works great too. Where can I get the files to download it?

In reply to Bzik YoYo

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Rambo

Haha! One of the mysteries of programming. Code working by itself!

OKAY, Rambo, if you can help me solve this, I'll gladly give you the MP3 code version 2.00 Springbok for free! Consider it a swap of skills if you will.

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Rambo.

I'll be sharing the code to MP3 Quickie 2.00 Springbok in a couple of hours time on my blog. So stay tuned for the FULL CODE. Also, I tried running my MP3 Quickie on a MacBook Pro...guess what? I got this whirling rainbow-coloured wheel that went on and on and on. In  the end I had to kill the Safari session. So Springbok is allergic to Macs or some code within the Applet is just not cutting it for Apple OSes.

Pity!

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Bzik YoYo -

Now that's a real challenge for me....

If I had any knowledge about these codes I would probably had the MP3 Quickie up and running long time ago. Sorry my dear Frankie but I don't think I can help you with this one...

May the force be with you thoughtful

In reply to Bzik YoYo

by Frankie Kam -

Hey Rambo

You can RELAX for two reasons:

(1) I've figured out the email code already (see here).
AND
(2) In the TRUE SPIRIT of Open Source, I've just released the MP3 Quickie Version 2.00 Springbok code here! Please refer to my blog post on the Quickie 2.00 for instructions/more informations, especially on chmod permission settings.

• It works on Windows environment (XP, Vista, Win7).
  • Untested on Linux PC environments (but it should WORK!)
  • Definitely does NOT work on Apple, MacBooks, iOS environment. Why? I am stumped. 

So have fun with the code. Make sure that you:

1. create the folder & subfolder: http://yourMoodleSite/voicefiles/miha

2. unzip the recorder.zip with all the folder information intact into:
    http://yourMoodleSite/recorder 

Your should end up with these folders: 
    http://yourMoodleSite/recorder/dropbox 
    and
    http://yourMoodleSite/recorder/uploader 

and that you rename any occurrences of the text moodurian.com in any of the PHP code to your actual Moodle's domain name.

Frankie Kam 

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Bzik YoYo -

Thank you so much Frankie, it works beautifully.

Maybe you should add to the instructions that the files need modifications are:

• record_app_mp3_JS.php
  • record_app_spx_JS.php
  • download.php
  • /uploader/upload-debug.php

Just to make things easier to newbies like me...
By the way I have upgraded my self to Newbie + ....

Thanks again for your awesome work ans sharing smile

In reply to Bzik YoYo

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Rambo (nice name!)

It works beautifully on your site? CONGRATULATIONS!
That is music to my ears!

Maybe I should award you a gold medal stamp for your efforts! Hehe.

Ah yes, the installation process. I've followed your advice and added clear installation instructions on my blog post on Springbox:

http://moodurian.blogspot.com/2012/03/mp3-quickie-version-20-more-than-just.html

Is there anything else I can add to the instructions that wll make the painful/frustrating installation process less painful?  Maybe from your perspective you can suggest some steps that I have left out.

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Bzik YoYo -

Nice one Frankie.

Actually I do have something to add.

1) It didn't work for me until I modified the record_app_spx_JS.php file with http://yourMoodleSite.  This file is not on your list.

2) In the HTML frame: <iframe width="98%" height="300" frameborder="0" src="../recorder/record_app_mp3_JS.php"></iframe>

the ../ didn't work for me. I had to write http://www.yourMoodleSite/recorder/record_app_mp3_JS.php.

Yes, including www.

Maybe others encounter the same issues.

Other than that, awesome instructions. On behalf of the newbeis moodle community I would like to thank you for that. Maybe we should be called moobies...

P.S, Thanks for the gold medal, I ppreciate it Yes

In reply to Bzik YoYo

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Rambo. Thanks for the input. I've corrected the omissions. And I've added a bit of help on how to change your Quickie's background image. BTW, here's my latest project on the Quickie. 

In reply to Bzik YoYo

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Rambo. Thanks for the input. I've corrected the omissions. And I've added a bit of help on how to change your Quickie's background image. BTW, here's my latest project on the Quickie. Do let me know if there are any other features we can add to it.