Getting to Grips with Metacourses (Moodle 2.0)

Getting to Grips with Metacourses (Moodle 2.0)

by Francois Evans -
Number of replies: 5

It can be tricky getting to grips with the notion of metacourses and child courses. This explanation should help.

As Moodle's online documentation says here (16/7/11):

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Metacourse

...'Some people like to think of them [child courses] as parent courses.' Arrgh!

I had a bog-standard educational structure as follows (see Figure 1 below)...

Two university degree programmes which 'owned' their own courses, but also shared a number of courses (courses 4 and 5 in the diagram above). The big question is, should the programme areas be metacourses OR should the sub-courses be metacourses?

The important thing to remember is that a metacourse cannot enrol students. An easier way of thinking about this is that students can only enrol on a child course! Students on a metacourse are automatically enrolled from any linked child course.

• SCENARIO 1 (problem. See Figure 2 below): If the programme areas are made metacourses, then students cannot enrol on a programme and automatically be linked to the right child courses (an ideal scenario). Instead, they have to enrol separately on a sub-course. That automatically makes them a member of the right (owning) programme, BUT, those students still have to enrol onto the other sub-courses of their programme, separately.

• SCENARIO 2 (solution. See Figure 3 below): If the sub-courses are made metacourses, then students can enrol onto a programme, and automatically be made members of the programme child courses that are linked to it.

The only problem with the scenario 2 solution, is if you want students to be able to view sub-courses that are not part of the programme area they are enrolled on (e.g. someone on degree programme 2, being able to view course 3). It should be possible for a student enrolling on a child course (e.g. degree programme 2) to be made a student member of courses 4 to 8 inclusive, but a guest member of courses 1 to 3 inclusive. Likewise, a student enrolling on the child course 'degree programme 1' could have systems set so that they are automatically made a member of courses 1 to 5 inclusive, and a guest member of 6 to 8 inclusive.

The important thing to remember is that, at the moment, everything works from the CHILD course, not the metacourse (as Moodle's nomenclature might suggest). I think Moodle have got the nomenclature wrong. The functionality associated with a metacourse, should be called 'child course' and the functionality associated with a child course (enrollable on to) should be called 'metacourse'. Even though parents usually 'feed' their children, in moodlespeak, the child course is the feeder course!

Attachment understanding_metacourses.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francois Evans

Re: Getting to Grips with Metacourses (Moodle 2.0)

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Francois

Thanks for a very clear explanation. Many of us have wrestled with the nomenclature of whether the metacourse is the 'child' or the 'parent'.

I find I am least confused when I focus on the fact that a metacourse enrols other courses rather than students.

I also like to focus on the function of a metacourse as containing shared resources for a number of courses, rather than being an 'umbrella' (see how I skillfully avoided the word 'parent' wink) programme course.

In this context, Scenario 1 actually works best for us. In practice, students having to enrol on multiple courses is not a huge problem (as individuals, they don't each have too many to enrol on) and it gives maximum flexibility.

Also, be aware that Moodle 2 has a new feature, Cohorts (site wide groups), that *may* provide an alternative to Metacourses and which *may* better fit your 'world view' of child and parent. As I understand it, you could assign students on a particular programme to a particular cohort. Then enrol this cohort onto individual Moodle courses. These Moodle courses could be either the 'umbrella' programme or the 'component' courses, it wouldn't matter, it should just work.

See: http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Cohorts

Cheers

Geoff

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Francois Evans -

Some interesting perspectives Geoff. Thank you!

Here's my reaction:

1. Is it appropriate in Moodle parlance to speak of 'enrolling courses'? Ultimately, is it not the students on that course that are being enrolled?

2. If metacourses contain shared resources (with the Figure 2 scenario above), then how do you deal with the problem of child courses which are linked to more than one metacourse (as they may have to be)?

3. Your point about students having to sign up to more than one course is useful. If the Figure 3 setup above is used, students on degree programme 2 wouldn't be able to peek at Courses 1 to 3 incl.

I wrote my posting of 16/7/11 partly to share understanding and partly to help myself decide which set-up was the best to use, as I install a Moodle system for a university department.

The coming of cohorts is good news. As an aide-mémoire for readers here:

• cohort is assigned to a course
  • a group is a subdivision of a cohort.

Kind regards,

F.

by Francois Evans -

Another point to note is that if you have allowed Student Self-Enrolment, for your students to be able to enrol themselves onto a Child Course, the 'Self enrolment (Student)' Enrolment Method must be turned on, on that Child Course. See:

Settings>Users>Enrolment Methods

...and click the 'eye' icon on 'Self enrolment (Student)' to open the eye.

Students will then be able to enrol onto that Child Course and will automatically be enrolled onto any metacourses linked to that Child Course.

'Self enrolment (Student)' does not need to be turned on for a Metacourse, the Child Course's enrolment will 'feed' it automatically.

by Stephen Catton -

Hi Francois

I used to run a Moodle in a FE Collage in the UK and we started to use Metacourses as you have described in Fig3. I liked them because the Moodle was not connected to any MIS system and so students had to find their own way to their courses.

We also had a Moodle classroom to support the Library which was connected to every Course and a Metacourse. This meant that it apeared in everyone's MyMoodle/MyCourses.

There are a couple of things they you need to be aware of and i don't know if they are fixed in Moodle 2.

1. Groups do not cascade down in to MetaCourses
  2. Metacourse grade books do not feed back to the Child course so all graded activity must be done in the Child course.

You could also use them as smalle departmental Curicculum based Library/Rescourse centres. For example Maths could link a Maths learning support Moodle Classroom as a Metacourse to every Maths teaching and learning classroom.

I tend to describe Moodle courses as Moodle Classrooms as Moodle is also used in schools where the term course is normally meaningless. Also you can put whatever you want in them and so even in a College or University the term Course is not always right. So in a college i would run a Course in a Moodle classroom, in a school I would teach a Year Group in a Moodle classroom.

Cheers

Stephen

Metacourse 1.9 Admin Block missing

by Amy Chayefsky -

Francois, thanks for the concise and visual explanation.  Helps alot. 

Before I post a new thread, wonder if there are any thoughts on this... I set a coure to meta, associated the child course, but have lost access to the parent course admin block.  When I turn editing on the child courses still havE the edit functions/icons, but the parent does not. 

When opening the Meta, logged in as Admin, there is no Admin Block (no blocks at all), looks more like a traditional webpage

I change system wide setting to dis-allow meta on the system... no change.  but I cannot get back into the meta course.  Do you know of anyway to reverse the creation of the meta?  Thanks, A

Screen shot:  View of the Meta (Back Channel) with no editing options

Attachment Screen shot 2011-09-02 at 7.15.06 PM.png