Adaptive mode always gives a penalty for checking an answer

Adaptive mode always gives a penalty for checking an answer

by Tom Cubanski -
Number of replies: 3

I’m having trouble with adaptive mode quizzes in Moodle 2.1. 

I’ve created a test quiz with a single numerical question.  If I take the quiz there is a penalty applied every time I click the “Check” button, even if the answer is correct. The feedback tells me the answer is correct and the submission attracted a penalty.   Looking at the grade book after the quiz shows points were deducted. 

If I take the quiz without with out ever clicking on the check button I get full credit for the quiz. 

Is this the correct behavior for a test in adaptive mode? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Cubanski

Re: Adaptive mode always gives a penalty for checking an answer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh, I see. The way the grading information is displayed in 2.1 is not quite the same as it was in 2.0. (In fact, what is going on behind the scenes is identical - any submission does attract a penalty that is subtracted from all future submissions - not the current one.) Anyway, we need to fix the display. Please create a Tracker issue for this. 

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Steve Turley -

I'm seeing the same problem with numerical and calculated questions in adaptive quizzes in Moodle 2.1.  If the answer on the first try is correct, it still exacts a penalty.  See Tracker issue MDL-28219 for screen shots and detail.

This is turning out to be a very serious issue for me.  I can't use adaptive calculated or numerical questions in moodle 2.1 unless this is fixed.

There are also some unusual messages that appear at various stages of submission.  Perhaps these are related.  As the user prepares to submit the questions, it shows the multiple choice question as correct but the numerical and calculated questions as "Not complete" even though all three were submitted.  The marks shown in the summary prior to submission show full marks for the question, but then marks with penalties are actually submitted to the gradebook and are shown in the review.  If I look at the history as an instructor, it shows a lot of Saved answers, when what was actually happening is that other questions were being submitted.

In reply to Steve Turley

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Henning Bostelmann from York University has now come up with a fix for this issue in MDL-28219. Although there are a few minor issues that still need to be sorted out, his code is good enough that it would be safe to test it on your servers.

And, if people who care about adaptive mode are able to test this and confirm it works before we add this to the standard Moodle release, that would be very helpful, becuase you probably understand how adaptive mode is supposed to work better than I do. Thanks.