Moodle documentation: Moodle docs filter

Moodle documentation: Moodle docs filter

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 18
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

following the great Docs re-organisation, what do I type to link to http://docs.moodle.org/dev/How_to_apply_a_patch ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Moodle documentation: Moodle docs filter

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Tim.

Within the Dev docs wiki it would be How to apply a patch. From elsewhere you would use the full URL.

We are no longer using namespaces in the Dev docs as this wiki will only contain Dev docs. Links to the old developer: namespace will be automatically linked to the page in the new Dev docs. I have to set up manual inter-wiki redirects for Dev docs pages that weren't in the developer: namespace.

Today I begin looking for lost pages and manually fixing broken links. Fun! big grin

If (or I should say when) anyone finds a problem with the Dev docs, please let me know.

Michael;

In reply to Michael de Raadt

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Can we please re-consider that.

Surely we should enable http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Links#Interwiki_links

So, I should be able to to type [ [dev:How to apply a patch] ] (without the extra spaces) both in the User Moodle docs, and also here where we are using the Moodle filter.

Also, can we set it up so that in the Dev docs, I can just type [ [user:Debugging] ] to link to the latest version of the user docs, so that we don't have to udpate all such links when we copy the docs 20 -> 21.

I suggest we only have specific URLs for older versions, so [ [user19:Debugging] ], or something like that. I guess [ [user20:Debugging] ] should be made to work right now, even though mostly people should use user:Debugging.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Frank Ralf -
I would second Tim's suggestion. Interwiki links will require some more typing but will make for a much more consistent documentation in the long run. In addition to the link Tim provided see also http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Interwiki

Cheers
Frank

See also Moodle 2.0 , Page naming and sort a progress report and Update on Moodle 2.0 Docs.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Tim.

OK. I get your question now.

Yes, we will have inter-wiki links. We are currently setting that up. We are planning to use the namespaces en: and docs:

Michael;

by Michael de Raadt -

We now have InterWiki links working between the Dev docs and the User docs.

To link from the User docs to a Dev docs page use (without spaces): [ [ : dev : Page_name | Page link text ] ]

To link from the Dev docs to the latest version of the English User docs use (without spaces): [ [ : en : Page_name | Page link text ] ]

To link to other langes in the User docs, replace en with the appropriate language code.

Michael;

by Tim Hunt -

Yay! Thanks.

And what about the Moodle Docs filter we have running here? (https://github.com/moodlehq/moodle-filter_moodledocs)

:dev:Coding

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Nice, but there are still a lot of potential interwiki links missing (or i don't know how to make them).

Just some exemples :

I had think of other problems, but don't remember what exactly now. I will post again, when needed, in some days/weeks.
Séverin
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

Several months after my last post, no answer. But I've seen that links beetween MoodleDocs versions are made with external links, and not with interwiki links or filters, and i don't think that's the better way to do it (the simpler, but not the most usefull, for the reader) sad

Hope something will be done for better interwiki links in the (near ?) future...

Interwiki links documentation should also be improved, as i told in my other post in this thread wink

Séverin

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Séverin Terrier -

I also think it would be useful to be able to link to specific version of documentation, with interwiki links.

by Frank Ralf -
Linking from my user page at http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/User:Frank_Ralf to Dev:Firefox seems to work on Moodle Docs (see screenshot), however (still) not here in the forums, which is a pity.

Frank
Attachment Moodle Docs dev namespace.png
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Frank Ralf -
This is getting worse with every cloning of Moodle Docs.

CSS now ends in Moodle Docs nirvana sad
The same goes for many other Moodle Docs pages I regularly used to point to, e.g. CSS FAQ (Themes FAQ does seem to work, though).

This renders Moodle Docs filters here in the forums utterly useless.

Attachment Moodle Doc CSS deleted.png
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Humm, Good point, all the old forum posts which are resources, for both past and future users, to answer questions do not have anywhere to go. I will take some initiative and create the page but will put in something like: [http://docs.moodle.org/dev/CSS CSS documentation has been moved here in devDocs] I also think that a brief overview of CSS for the really ignorant is useful, without going into all of its glorious minutia that I guess belongs in devDocs. I think I can assist with looking for other pages which have been moved and fall into this category. Best to all, Chris
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry, my mistake for deleting those pages. blush I've just restored CSS. The problem affects pages which didn't have the 'Development' prefix in the title but have subsequently been moved to the developer docs wiki. If there are any more you can think of Frank, please shout. Fortunately it's very easy in Mediawiki to restore accidentally deleted pages. smile

In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Helen,

Did you see the changes I made in 2.0 and 2.1?   I definately think it is a good idea to put the link to the devDoc side in the see also.   Especially  for those things that are "advanced" topics for a site admin like Theme customization.  

I noticed a link on the dev side that said :en:Moodle21DocPage .  it jumped the the appropriate page in Moodle Docs 2.1.   Will a :dev:devDocPage send something to the development docs?   

Best Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Séverin Terrier -

Hi Chris,

Yes, you can use this type of links, to the development documentation smile

I've added this in editing documentation. But i think it would better be in inter-wiki section.

As part of this, i would like to know how to make inter-wiki-links to a specific version ? Something like [[:en19:page name]] or [[:en21:page name]] would be very usefull.

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Séverin, as far as I know, it's only possible to link to the most recent version wiki in English using :en:Page name.

I notice in another post of yours in this thread that you'd rather use interwiki links between the release notes in the developer wiki and user documentation than full URLs. Why? The links to user documentation in the Moodle 2.2 release notes look fine to me.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Séverin Terrier -

Helen,

I know that i can do links with URLs to differents MoodleDoc versions, but it doesn't appear in the "Other language" bloc sad

For me, it was a usefull feature, and i think it's bad not to be able to do that anymore.

I have to say that, as other people, i don't really like the fact of having several distinct docs.

As a french translator, i have to follow 5 wikis to know what changes !

And, when someone using french clicks on the "Documentation for this page" link in is Moodle, he goes on the French page (we only have 1 wiki, for all versions). Then, how can he follow a link to the good english translation, if he want's to have more information ???