NanoGong in Moodle 2.xxx

NanoGong in Moodle 2.xxx

by Neil Johnson -
Number of replies: 42

Please tell me if this is the wrong forum for this.

I just want to throw out a plea for folks to pick up the NanoGong torch for Moodle 2.xxx.

We have teachers who love this feature and will be very sad when we upgrade from 1.9 to 2.1 and they have to do without. I am aware of  Audacity and how that could be used instead, HOWEVER many of our Nanogong users have files already created and they stand to lose all of that work.

Gibson Lam at Nanogong tells me it will take support (money) to bring NanoGong up to Moodle 2.xxx specs.

Is there anyone out there willing and/or able to pick up this torch.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Neil Johnson

Re: NanoGong in Moodle 2.xxx

by Rob Johnson -

Have you seen http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-2889.  This was posted to mods and plugins a couple weeks ago, but seems to have dissappeared (perhaps updated and waiting reapproval).

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Neil Johnson -

I had not seen that. Let's hope that it or something comparable can become part of the core Moodle package in the not too distant future.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just to mention that I've just reapproved the Moodle language lab module http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=4751. (New and updated entries require approval before they are viewable by everyone.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Web Developer -

Dear Helen,

Which plug-in we can use on the Windows server 2003 and IIS 6.0 machine and upgraded from Moodle 1.9.9 to 2.0.4(20110801) instead of the Nanogong. Please advise us. We have a lot of teachers who invested into Nanogong over the years and they used to it. But if we can't get it up working can you recommend an alternative to us. Your help would be greatly appreciated.  We would like to stay with something Moodle team will support in the future also. Thank you very much.

In reply to Neil Johnson

by Alex Contis -

Hi,

I think the best solution would be to disscus with Gibson Lam about how much effort (time&money) it takes to develop a Moodle 2.x version for Nanogong. There are many people using Nangong allready, a small contribution from them might make a version for Moodle 2.0 a reality. It is the best investment in Nangong in the long term.

Another solution it's of course to draw the specification and develop a new activity similar in functionality  to Nanogong ....

Regarding migrating your Nanogong data to Moodle 2.0, I'm a bit pessimistic about that since file handling is completely diferent  in Moodle 2.0 compared to Moodle 1.9. Besides developing a Moodle 2.0 version it might take some effort to make sure that data can be migrated.

Regards
Alex Contis
NetSapiensis AB

In reply to Alex Contis

by Guido Gautsch -

Realistically, how hard would it be to write a new applet similar to NanoGong from scratch using the Moodle 2 APIs? 

In reply to Guido Gautsch

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Guido

Well it took me 20+ hours to redesign the GUI and to add some extra functionality of MP3 Quickie.

See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=184772

If I were the one who built MP3 Quickie from scratch, that would take me about 400 hours I think.

If I were Bill G., Linus T. or Mark Z., then something like Nanogong would take me maybe 30 hours.

FRankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frank Ralf -
I just want to point once again to the ongoing efforts documented at Release of NanoGong 4.1, an important update for Moodle users, especially by AL Rachels who's code can be found at https://github.com/drachels/Moodle-Mod-Assignment-Type-Nanogong

Please join forces wink
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Itamar Tzadok -

cross posted in moodle for lang teaching.

In response to Frank's requestt I thought I'd give it a shot and happy to let ya all know that I've managed to make it work as a dataform field:

It is still just a stub and at any rate the implementation assumes all kinds of things the dataform does, so the code itself may not be very useful. But the approach and some relevant bits of code may help so here's a summary and if you have any questions just let me know.

I basically create a draft area and pass the draft item id to the uploading php script which resides in a designated file. In that script I create an instance of repository_upload and call its upload method:

$repo = new repository_upload($repo_id, null, array('ajax'=>true, 'name'=>'', 'type'=>'upload')); 
try {
    $ret = $repo->upload($saveas_filename, $maxbytes);
} catch (moodle_exception $e) {
    print $e->errorcode;
    die;
}
print $saveas_filename. ' uploaded';

The repository_upload looks for the uploaded file in a specific place and this place should be indicated in the javascript call in the upload button (btw, just a standard button, not a submit):

var ret = recorder.sendGongRequest('PostToForm',
                                        inputpage,
                                        'repo_upload_file',
                                        '',
                                        filename);

Then all that remains is to fetch the file from the draft area and store it in a proper area.

I use the repository_upload because I like to reuse existing code as much as possible. This may or may not be the best way. I'll look into that more thoroughly when I return to finalize the field.

hth smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Howard Liverance -
Thank you so much for working on this! So is this something that mere mortals can implement now as a third party module, or is it a hack? Would love to try this as we need to upgrade our 1.9 site to 2.1 very soon. Clearer install instructions would be great. The Gong project site specifically states that they do not support 2.+++.
In reply to Howard Liverance

by Itamar Tzadok -

Well, I'm not the Gong project so I'm not bound by their statement. wink

It's a plugin: Dataform.

Installation is trivial - default installation for mod plugins. The rest is open ended and depends on what you want to do. Similar to the standard database module if you are familiar with it.

The nanogong is a field type which you can add to a form with or without other content fields.

The nanogong works but the whole dataform is still beta. Version 1.0.5 should be released soon. I will add to that version a few sample packages which may be installed in one click and offer some preset applications. I will also start writing the module docs in a couple of weeks and that may help too.

smile

by Margaret Dulat -

Hi Itamar (or anyone else who could help). I have been trying to implement the nanogong plugin for the tinyMCE editor. I used your Dataform code to create my ngupload.php file, and with the nanogong filter installed it works up to the point of getting the sound file into the draft area. But it does not get moved into the permanent file area, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it there. I think it has to do with not having the correct itemid when creating the file record (I just use 0). But how could I get the correct one - where does it come from? My work in progress can be found here: https://github.com/mdulat/moodle/tree/tinymce-plugin-nanogong/lib/editor/tinymce/tiny_mce/3.4.9/plugins/nanogong

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

In reply to Margaret Dulat

by Margaret Dulat -

Never mind, I figured it out smile

Updated code is available at the above link. The nanogong filter is still a bit wonky, going to work on that next...

by Michelle Jackman -

I've been watching out for Nanogong updates for Moodle 2 for ages. You've given me hope Margaret! If you can sort this out, you will be very popular in the Moodle community! wink

In reply to Michelle Jackman

by Margaret Dulat -

Hi Michelle and everyone,

I have a working nanogong plugin for tinyMCE as well as the filter. The code is in github, and to install them please see the readme files for the filter and the plugin.

I will set up a tracker for this as well. Still need to test it in stable Moodle 2.2, as so far have been working with 2.3 dev only. If anyone else can test it as well that would be really helpful!

Margaret

by Margaret Dulat -

The zip files were too big to attach here, but they did get uploaded here: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-3572?jwupdated=53554&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel#issue-tabs

The zip files contain all the modified files, folder structure intact.

by John St -

I tested in 2.2. I had to remove the version.php file from the filter to get it to work. After that, the filter and tinymce plugin seem to work great so far. One quick suggestion, I modified the filter so that the 'link' to play audio tracks had a proper cursor when hovering (otherwise, how is a user supposed to now it is clickable). So adding cursor: pointer; into the inline style works well for this purpose.  

Great work and thanks!!!

In reply to John St

by Margaret Dulat -

That's great! I'm glad it's working for you. Thank-you for the excellent suggestion, I will incorporate that as well.

Margaret

In reply to Neil Johnson

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi all,

I would like to bump this thread and canvass for votes on  CONTRIB-2174 Installation of Riffly and Nanongong repositories won't work. It still has only 23 votes.

A NanoGong repository plugin was developed some time ago for Moodle 2, but it stopped working after Moodle 2 was updated. The above request asks for the repository plugin to be upgraded, so that it would work again. Over in the Moodle for Language Teaching course, a number of teachers have promised to donate some money to the developer(s) would could fix this. I am posting here too, since the audience in Using Moodle is greater.

If you too would like a working NanoGong repository in Moodle 2, please, vote in the tracker (see link above).

You could also fill out the AAAARGH survey and request the plugin as something that would be a major improvement in Moodle functionality for a lot of teachers and students.

Rgrds,
Paul.

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Neil Johnson

by Sebastian Berm -

Due to the fact we're doing more and more with open source software, I'm pleased to announce we've opened our Bitbucket with NanoGong for Moodle 2.x for public testing.

We know there's still a few issues with the module, eg backups/restores are stub functions, but for the rest part, it should be functional.

If someone else wants to fork or contribute, that can be done freely via Bitbucket. (We use Bitbucket with Mercurial instead of Github, sorry about that.)

The latest version can be downloaded at: https://bitbucket.org/sebastianberm/nanogong-moodle2.x/downloads.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Sebastian Berm

by Nicolas Dunand -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sebastian,

This is great news! Thanks for sharing this.

I just tried to install this on Moodle 2.2, which install very well. But then as I was just trying to add an instance of the Nanogong resource to a course, I got the following error:

Debug info: Column 'file_id' cannot be null
INSERT INTO mdl_nanogong (course,name,intro,introformat,timemodified,file_id) VALUES(?,?,?,?,?,?)
[array (
0 => '3',
1 => 'Nanogong (ressource ?)',
2 => '',
3 => '1',
4 => 1330322588,
5 => NULL,
)]

As when as a teacher I wish to review student recordings (via the Nanogong assignment type), I get I Java alert box saying "Failed to open incompatible/unavailable voice data".

It appears this happens on Firefox (version 10.0.2), but everything seems to work fine on Safari (version 5.1.13).

Any clues?

In reply to Sebastian Berm

by Graeme Boxwell -

Hi Sebastian,

Can I first of all start by saying how much we all appreciate the work you have put in to this for the benefit of everyone. I'm sure you are already aware of the impact this has on so many learners around the world.

We used Nanogong in the past for audio feedback throught the HTML editor. Students would submit their assignments in the normal way and when the teacher went to grade the assignment, they would click the loudspeaker icon in the HTML editior and that would bring up the nanogong plugin allowing the audio feedback to be recorded and assigned to the individual student.

I've installed your plugin and can't seem to work out how to enable this functionality?

I may be missing something here so apologies for my ignorance if that is the case.

Regards, Graeme

In reply to Neil Johnson

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi all,

Another bump to the thread and a recapitualtion. As we all know, the NanoGong plugin worked well in Moodle 1.9.x but it cannot work in the same way in Moodle 2 due to the new file system. The best way to approximate the functionality NanoGong offered in 1.9.x would be a NanoGong repository for Moodle 2. A version of this exists, but no one has, so far been able to fix it for Moodle 2.1 or 2.2.

Alternatives do exist, but they have their issues:

• The Poodll plugin (contains a repository and a filter and more) allows for video and audio recording (and a lot more). In other words, this does all that NanoGong used to do, but the problem is that it does too much and it uses an external (cloud) server to do it. Furthermore, we could not get it to work properly (maybe due to firewall issues). (http://poodll.com/)
  • The Dataform plugin is like a Database module with a lot of extras. It contains a NanoGong field that worked in our tests. It was a bit of a hassle setting it up though. This plugin would for us cover about 75% of the NanoGong use. (Dataform in the plugins directory)
  • The NanoGong plugin contains a NanoGong assignment type and a NanoGong resource. It worked in our test, but it is still in beta. It also does not cover more than about 40% of the ways we used NanoGong in Moodle 1.9.x (Download page for NanoGong plugin)
  • The Online Audio plugin contains only an assignment type. It uses another recorder than NanoGong and we did not test it, since it covers only maybe 30% of our NanoGong use. (Online Audio in the plugins directory)

If we used the Dataform and NanoGong plugins combined we would cover maybe 85% of our NanoGong need. We would still prefer to have the repository, though, as that would meet our needs in the best way.

I apologise for the way some of the links look. Apparently, the automatic linking breaks the code and the "Prevent automatic linking" function does not work.

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Rob Johnson -

I suggest taking a look at the latest release of Poodll.  It is on their website.  It can record audio without using a remote server.  It uses the same Flash recorder as the online audio assignment.  The Flash recorder is a big improvement over the Java recorder used by Nanogong. 

Poodll does not require any changes to Moodle core files.  Site upgrades with Nanogong were a pain with the several files to patch.

Lastly, Poodll can be configured to stream HTML 5.  This allows a wider range of devices to play the recordings.

Rob

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Rob,

I think we have the latest version (unless they released a new one last night). I know it has a stand alone MP3 recording option, but we did not get it to work. Perhaps you have suggestions as to what we should do.

It is true that NanoGong in 1.9 had its downsides. A NanoGong repository for Moodle 2 would do away with the need to patch core files and it would suit our needs best. At present we do not actually have a need for all the extras that Poodll offers. However, if there is not going to be a NanoGong repository we will have to have an alternative.

P.S. We now did get the standalone recorder to work in an online text assignment, a forum and a glossary, but not in the feedback window of standard Moodle assignments (the Add media function in the editor does not display the filepicker).

So, Poodle is looking OK, as long as we can avoid the external server. Is there an option for us to set up our own Poodll server inhouse?

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Paul,

I noticed the issue with the assignment feedback too, but the Poodll repository will show if you use the attachment function there.  Unfortunately, the audio file does not seem to get processed by the multimedia filter.  The student must download the file to listen.

I am not sure about setting up a streaming server.  I am really only interested in the stand alone recording feature in Poodll.  It plays back in HTML 5, so those finicky ipads can play the content too.

Rob

by Itamar Tzadok -

Updated Dataform versions are currently released only from http://substantialmethods.com/course/view.php?id=4 (for various reasons one of which is the apparent delays in approving set plugins).

Since the Dataform is a multipurpose resource/activity platform its setup for a specific application is bound to be somewhat of a hassle. However, it has a packaging mechanism which makes preset Dataform applications (including contents) fairly easy to distribute in course/site/cross-site levels. So once an application is designed and built it can be plugged and played.

The nanogong is but one extension. Other types of audio/video players can (and will) be added in a similar way.

I'm interested in knowing in what ways you use the Nanogong, especially the 25% which seem to not be covered by the Dataform. smile

by Rob Johnson -

My teachers used Nanogong in 1.9 (the filter and html area extension) to provide audio feedback to students for assignement submissions.  So far, Poodll is as close to providing that functionality as I have seen.  Can dataform do that?

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Itamar Tzadok -

Yes.

With the entry as the assignment wrapper the teacher can add to the entry template a nanogong field that is not editable by the student. The student adds an entry as the submission (either online text or file upload or audio recording or all together) and then the teacher can open the submitted entry and add the audio feedback in the designated nanogong field. If the teacher wants also written feedback he/she can use the comments field (which allow for exchange between the teacher and the student) or a designated editor field next to the nanogong feedback field.

More importantly, the nanogong is just an extension. Any open source php/js integrable audio/video recorder/player (Poodll widgets probably included; haven't looked into that yet) can be added as a dataform-field plugin and used in a variety of ways for Dataform based assignment submission and feedback.

smile

by Rob Johnson -

Thank you for the information Itamar.  I will need to play with dataform over the summer. smile

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Itamar,

To answer your question, what the 1.9 Nangong could do and Dataform can't (as far as I can tell) is creating audio forums (students replying to each other with voice messages), audio entries in the glossary and teacher audio feedback in the standard Moodle assignments.

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Itamar Tzadok -

Thanks Paul. In principle the Dataform can be used as a forum, a glossary or an assignment in place of the designated modules. It is not meant to replace the designated modules but in some scenarios it may offer a similar or extended functionality in a more flexible way. By the end of the summer I should have more documentation, samples and presets to give a better sense of how this works. smile

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In Moodle 2.2.x I used a dataform set up with a Nanogong field and a text field during the end of this past school year with 7/8 graders to help improve their writing. When, writing they tend to use bad grammar and leave out/use incorrect words. In the past I would make them read out loud to me and they almost always would then catch their mistakes.

Now I make them read and record what they have written word-for-word in the dataform and their writing shows some definite improvement this spring.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Neil Johnson

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi all,

I got a message this weekend from the Gong staff at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology that a version of NanoGong for Moodle 2 has been released. I have not obtained the code yet, so haven't been able to test it, but I will keep you informed.

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

I have the latest version, and it's nice and stable. It lets a user delete the recording(s) they have submitted though - the release note claims you can un-delete these deleted recordings, but I've yet to find how to do so. I shall be emailing the project lead for advice on this, as I showed it to a member of English teaching staff yesterday and she was impressed.

In reply to Dave Perry

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

OK the answer is in a guide:

http://nanogong.ust.hk/moodle2_guide.html

Look at the Students video (2nd one on the page) then skip to about 6 minutes in.

In reply to Dave Perry

Re: NanoGong in Moodle 2.2.x- config.

by sue sugizaki -

I've installed Nanogong on 2.2.2+ and 2.2.4+.

http://nanogong.ust.hk/info_config.html

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi all,

We have the latest NanoGong for Tiny MCE installed in the  latest Moodle and it works everywhere (except in the Maintenance Mode message, obviously). The only downside seems to be that it breaks the full-screen toggle in the HTML-editor.

Rgrds,
Paul.