Moodle 2.0.2+ File exists

Moodle 2.0.2+ File exists

by Ali Hastie -
Number of replies: 12

The file exist problem seems be right through Moodle 2.0.2, whether inserting an image within a quiz question or within a Moodle page. Here is what's happening, I will use the quiz question as an example:

• Insert an image within a quiz question then save the question
  • Edit the question and remove the inserted image and save the question again
  • Again, edit the question and try and insert the same image within the question but recieve an error sayin the 'File exists'.

I know about MDL-26388, is there any progress with the File exists error?

Ali

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Hastie

Re: Moodle 2.0.2+ File exists

by Kristina Schneider -

Hi Ali,

I noticed this too. It seems that once an image has been uploaded, that name is unique in the system. When inserting an image, you can either:

1. go to Recent files and find your image to reinsert it, or
  2. rename the image you want to insert and then uploading it

Hope my answer was helpful.

Kristina

In reply to Kristina Schneider

by Mark Emery -

We're also running 2.0.2 and we have this file exists error when selecting from recent files.

All our links to images broke at the same time and when we try to repair them we get files exists after selecting an existing file. I suspect the root cause of this is why all our links broke at once.

Our moodle is completely unusable at present. This is huge failure we don't know where to start looking.

In reply to Mark Emery

by Mike Shurance -

Was this issue ever resolved? We are having a similar issue with 2.02 trying to add an image from the Server Files.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Jeff Martin -

yes major problem here.  looks like powers that be are working on it at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-26388.  I am new to moodle and hoping to use 2.0 to set up an online training system.  I am a little surpised that file handling within Moodle isn't more stable with all the postive reviews I have read about Moodle.  How can organizations use this tool for robust training with these file handling weaknesses?  Perhaps postive ground was gained with the steps to 2.0 but file handling is a bit of a wobbly rock. 

Don't know enough to make any positive suggestions about how to fix the problem, other than wow lets get this fixed.  Perhaps an interface that would allow the admin to see what is going on, files linked to pages, courses, blocks, etc with ability to add delete modify? 

In reply to Jeff Martin

by Jeff Martin -

also noticed that when logged in as a student and uploading assignment files to a course that the full featured file upload tool is used, which allowed me to actually link a pre-existing system file as my assignment.  I didn't test it further to see if I could have linked another students file to my assignment.

Seems like the student upload dialogue box ought to be simpler and definitely not let me link to a file already uploaded by the system administrator.

I know this post is off topic, but related in that the file upload tool seems to need some more work.  I will post this comment to a new thread since I didn't see it any where else in the forums.

In reply to Jeff Martin

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators
Quoting:

"How can organizations use this tool for robust training with these file handling weaknesses? Perhaps postive ground was gained with the steps to 2.0 but file handling is a bit of a wobbly rock. "

Because nearly everybody is still using version 1.9 for production. We users of 2.0 are early adopters with the ability to cope with this kind of problems (direct database access, and so on).

In free software world is mandatory to release the software versions early and often, to let users test it and report bugs and improvements before the software can be adopted by everybody. Is the only way to make the product better and the side effect of enjoying free software.

In reply to Orestes Mas

by Jeff Martin -

Hmm good points, thanks.  I am new to Moodle and probably was just frustrated at my first baby steps.  The new features of 2.0 seem to make it the best choice for a new install.  Do you agree?  I just will need the patience of an early adopter.

You seem experienced, so how do you plan to work with the 'file exists' bug until it is fixed?  Any suggestions?  Seems like the only cure would be to rename the file you wish to upload or delete the lesson or page and start over.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Cynthia McKinley -

I'm trying to link to a file that is ALREADY on the Moodle database and I'm getting the "file exists error."  I know it exists - that's why I'm trying to link to it!  How can I link to something when it keeps giving me this error?

Additionally, I have MANY courses that use MANY pages with html links.  Each semester I simply update & upload the html files onto Moodle & the links have always worked.  Now, with 2.0 I can NOT DO THIS because I can't upload files with same name!!  I can't simply rename each file and re-link each link because it will take me dozens and dozens of hours to do this.  I can't re-name or delete the original files because Moodle won't let me. So what should I do?

Why are we no longer allowed to re-name, delete, and move files uploaded to Moodle?  Why can't I link to a file that already exists?  I could do this in the older version of Moodle & in any other program since computers began.

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Martin Wilson -

Also, can I just say that "Error - File Exists" is a pretty goofy way of trying to explain what is going on. People that don't know Moodle very well will have steam coming out of their ears when they see it.